ReBirth of My SEFF 07 GWS Corsair - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

ReBirth of My SEFF 07 GWS Corsair

Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Default ReBirth of My SEFF 07 GWS Corsair

I had purchased a Corsair from one of the Stone bothers (don't ask which one, I never get them straight). This was back before I was able to keep planes in the air. Well, I took it home, got it ready, and it helped me with my flying. For a while.

I was rough on this poor thing. Tore some chunks out of one wing, when I thought it was a good idea to put a wood glow prop in it. (Hey, the shop was out of the APC's I usually get.) Nearly ripped a wing off at the warbird meet at Hodges this year. And then I tried to finish the job when I flew it with that damaged wing.

I brought it home and it went to airplane purgatory. It had it's motor removed, and it went on a shelf. I fully intended to put it in the air again, one of these days. Well this morning was the day.

I woke up with some extra time because I was working local and waking at my usual time gave me almost an hout and a half to kill. I decided to work on the corsair. I put the same motor in it that was there before, and esky 400. And I threw in a lighter reciever that I had. Put on the 8x6 APC, and slapped in a 1250 3S and shot to the park. I was a little concerned. It just didnt want to lift straight up when I tested the power. But I gave it a throw anyways. Out it went, and ZOOM!

Rolls are very sluggish, but loops and climbs are excellent. I had the cowl off, but it didn't ruin the beauty of the lines.

*checked clock, now late for work, more later*
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

The flight was exciting. While the rolls were slow, climbs and dives were fast. Controls were very responsive.

I have heard of planes "flying on rails" now I know what they mean.

The only drawback is the flight times. The only thing I would change, is to put a better motor in it. My park 400 has a 20 minute flight time. With the Esky I am around ten minutes.

Later I decided to take the plane out again. I threw it in the air, and it started to climb. I didn't have enough power, it stalled flipped over, and went in nose first.

(Here comes everyone's favorite part)

I performed my customary walk of shame. I went to see the damage, and it was pretty good. I pulled the nut from the fuse that held the wing on. The right elevator stab broke clean. There was a crack in the fuse at the read of the wing. And of course the prop was broken. The cowl had a new crack, but all in all minimal damage.

I brought it home. Hot glue is my friend. I had it fixed in about fifteen minutes.

I decided to hook my new wattsup meter to the battery, and then to the ESC.

ZAP! POOF!

Oops. I had one of the Deans connectors on backwards. Smoked that ESC. Fortunately I had a spare.

Now that I had it back together, off to the field again.

SHE WAS BACK!!! Threw it up with a 1000 MAh 3S. It screamed through the air at full throttle. It flew comfortably at half throttle, with reasonable climb and smooth level flight.

Dives are exciting. Pull outs are crisp. I was able to pull off a few worm burners. One I was sure had touched prop on it's pass.

My only regret is the lack of scale details. The plane is a ligher blue than I would like, and the bottom is flourecent yellow. I know I can repaint, and I plan to. But, it won't be done before this weekend. The cowl has been uglified by me, the cockpit is fogged. I am curious if these can be replaced.

I love this plane. It is a toss up between this and my Ultimate for favorite flyer.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Glad to see you did'nt kill it. The Corsair is one of my most favorite planes. Just something about the gull wing I love so much. I purchased a SG version on Ebay and started working on it. But I grew tired of working on it, as I was sanding and filling the holes and painting then coating it with Minwax PolyC. Heres a pic of the fuse semi-done. Its still in this condition and a pic of the insperation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0681.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	39235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0683.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	39236   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	39237  
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It flew so awesome. I am tempted to build a new one.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Details Freddo......What exactly do you mean about the Deans connector...which side load or source?....did you solder it on backwards?...do you mean deans ultra plug or the little red cheesy ones? I recently bought a wattsup watt meter, and would rather not fry an ESC....especially one of my Castle Creations ones.....
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Deans Ultra, had the polarity reversed. It was on the load side.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Deans Ultra, had the polarity reversed. It was on the load side.
Ouch.....:<....so you sent power through the negative side of the ESC?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Ouch.....:<....so you sent power through the negative side of the ESC?
That certainly appears to be what happened.

I am just glad I didn't harm the meter. The ESC was a bit cheaper...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Default And now for your FAVORITE part of my flight stories...

Of course, it has to happen. I can't fly a plane for long without some sort of crash.

Today's was a doozie!

I decided to sneak an early morning flight in with my corsair. I wanted to try a "new" battery that I have had for two years, and never put into service.

It's a 3S 1000 MAh that had the old style connector on it. I slapped a Deans on it and put it into service.

Yesterday my 1000 MAh handled the plane wonderfully, so I expected the same this morning.

It likely would have too, had it been heavier.

I tosser her up in the air, and up, up, up she went. There was no putting the nose down.

I got some altitude, and rolled her partway over, getting the nose down and aiming for the ground. I had leveled it off, partway, and wanted to try to give it just a little power for landing. It was looking great. Just a goose to get it over the grass and OOOOPS!!!!

Nose went up, the addition of throttle tipped the balance, and the tail was down again. I tried to bring her over for another attempt at levelling, but I over did it, and nose down she went.

WALK OF SHAME

Yup, did that wonderful walk, luckilly it wasn't as far. I picked her up and surveyed the damage.

Busted the wing nut loose again. Cracked the nose off at the leading edge of the wing. Recracked one side at the trailing end of the wing. Busted the motor mount stick.

Well, now it was almost time for me to go to work. But, I knew I could fix her....

A quick shot home, and I plugged in the glue gun. I broke out the razor knife and the mini phillips head. The cowl came off first, then I cut out the fuse over the motor stick. I pulled the old one out, cut a new one, and slapped her in.

I then reglued the top of the fuse, and went to work on the side cracks.

They were easy, now to the wing nut.

I cut the abused section of foam out. Fortunately I had some dense foam handy, and I cut a filler block. A couple tries later, and I reset the mount for the wing nut. A tweak here, an adustment there, and it looked pretty presentable.

I grabbed all my gear, and shot to the field. There was no way I was going to do the 1.5 hour ride to work, spend 9 hours in my office, and then 1.5 hours home, wondering if she would take to the skies again.

So I powered up, launched and she went up. Trim was off and I had to apply constant down. I had removed some weight when I took out the original stick, I had overglued it. Also I think there wasn't as much down pitch as there had been when I put it back.

I brought it back in for a nice sliding landing. Tweaked the trim and tossed her again. Not quite enough, but was able to fly mostly level with full trim adjust.

Another landing, another tweak, and up it went. Too much down, but again, controller trim to the rescue.

Trimmed in and flying nice, I was happy. Now I could go to work. All in all about 40 minutes repair time and a stick and a half of glue. I was up and flying again.

Lesson learned?

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR CG!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Dang Fred....At least you are getting some serious repair skills.

Yep... regular CG checks and re-checks are mandatory....I learned that lesson the hard way as well.:<
Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I love this plane. I definately want to pick up an SG or NPS one soon.

I have a few full scale planes I am thinking about modelling it after. I would like to cut the details into the wing's leading edge that the GWS plane is missing. Then try some of the techniques that JMorgan over on RCG uses to finish it.

It certainly deserves the attention, it is such a good flyer.... when the CG is right.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I hit the bottom some white paint, what a difference already.

I think I could go a little crazy with this one.

I put another on order, it should be waiting for me when I get to Hodge's
Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Stocking up again I see.......
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yeah...

I have a whole bunch of websites saved, images loaded onto my hard drive, of tips and techniques on how to finish plastic model Corsairs.

I plan on making this one real pretty. THEN smash it!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
yeah...

I have a whole bunch of websites saved, images loaded onto my hard drive, of tips and techniques on how to finish plastic model Corsairs.

I plan on making this one real pretty. THEN smash it!
Too funny! At least you're honest.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

There is a park right down the road that I can fly in...

I get out of here in less than ten minutes.

I am feeling twitchy....