Ultrafly Cessna vs. Multiplex MiniMag - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Ultrafly Cessna vs. Multiplex MiniMag

Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Neil M

Default Ultrafly Cessna vs. Multiplex MiniMag

Hello!

I want to get a new plane and I have narrowed it down to either one of the above. I'll keep it as an "out of the box" plane as I am not in to modifying just yet and i'd like to get it in r/r or rtf version. I nearly went with the Multiplex Magister but the only thing that put me off was the short flight times from stock but I love the fact that it is MASSIVE!!

The things that i'd like to know are the flight times on a relatively standard battery (not LiPO). Stability? Build quality? How easy they are to fly? Will they fly in light wind? (if so, how light is light?) How good (or bad) are the stock electronics?.........

So, what do I get? Cessna or MiniMag? It all boils down to what you guys say here as you know your stuff.

Thanks,

Neil.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM
dfalcon
I crash therefore I am.

I can only comment on the UF Cessna, as I haven't had any experience with the Minimag.

I kind of think you're mistaken about how the Cessna comes out of the box. There's quite a bit of assembly involved. It was the first ARF I had ever assembled, and, if I remember correctly, it took at least 8 hours for me to get it flight ready.

With the recommended 10-cell 1100mAh NiMH battery, it ended up much heavier than it was supposed to (around 32 oz.). The brushed power system drew about 14 amps at full throttle, and 3/4 to full throttle was needed to stay aloft for most of the flight. As a result, flight times were low; usually 4 to 6 minutes.

The cessna also suffers from a fair amount of adverse yaw when rolling. So having a computer radio that can either mix rudder to ailerons or has aileron differential is a must.

Two years after buying it, I finally upgraded it to lipo's and brushless power, and it's great! I dropped half a pound of weight (down to 24oz.) between the lighter motor, lighter but higher capacity battery, and some smaller servos.