typhoon fuse converted to a P-40 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

typhoon fuse converted to a P-40

Old 08-31-2007, 05:18 AM
MrElusive
EDF NUT

Smile typhoon fuse converted to a P-40

Well I started thinking about how much the hobbie stores profit from when people buy into a foam kit. they figure you will be back to buy more fuse's ,wings, ect. I just happen to have a old busted up typhoon fuse. I chopped part of the nose off, made some wings from 1" eps foam stock from lowes 3.48 a 2x6 sheet or something like that. it didnt take long to round out most of the air foil. i added a balsa strip to renforce the wings. a little hot glue and 5 min epoxy.

Now ive got something that looks much like a P-40! even without attaching the tail fins, it has good cog and glides perfect! so exciting. 26.5" fuse with just about a 37" wingspan.

It doesnt show up well in the angle of the photo but the wings do have the classic V shape to them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-005s.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	39420  
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 AM
MrElusive
EDF NUT

Smile more done one the p-40

finaly got out to wal-mart and picked up some foam board (sign like material) and cut out a set of tail wings and got those fitted. still glides nice with its plain bare weight. cant wait for the motor shipment to get here. I will add more up to date pics soon. I was thinking of adding landing gear to this but then again hand launching might be good enough. Iam deciding on either to just put control surfaces on the wings only or do all control from the tail section. id hate to cut into those wings!