Show Me The Hole In The Tree! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Show Me The Hole In The Tree!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Default Show Me The Hole In The Tree!

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore. It's been blazing hot here in Tucson for the last 4 weeks and with my hours, getting out to fly is really hard. So, last night after I got home I really wanted to test my GoPro out and decided to just stay up and go out about 5 am. Maybe I should have got some sleep as I had a real tiger by the tail at first until I remembered I hadn't calibrated my Co-Pilot. Turned it off and had a really nice flight and picked up several thermal even at 5:30 in then morning. Everything was uneventful until landing. That is why I'm calling this Video, "Show me the hole in the Tree". Sorry for the length but is really give a good areal view. Lessons learned, do your pre-flight, get some sleep, and don't fly into trees!

"Show Me the Hole in the Tree"
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 AM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Loved it. A little long but worth the wait for the tree shot. It took me 28 years before I flew one into a tree and it stayed there. 60 feet up and really stuck. Took me two days to get it out. You were lucky. Yours came right out. Good sense of humor with the walk of shame and the tree upside down on the way back. I noticed that there was another tree on the other side of the field, that must have been the one you were trying to avoid.

Thanks for the laugh. Good luck with your new camera.

Terry
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

In all that desert you find a tree to crash in to funny. Trees are like a magnet to a plane just draws them in your lucky it bounced out. Up here they grab hold of them till you get the fishing pole out with a lead wgt. been there and done that a few times.
Nice video those gopros do a good job!
John
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 AM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
In all that desert you find a tree to crash in to funny. Trees are like a magnet to a plane just draws them in your lucky it bounced out. Up here they grab hold of them till you get the fishing pole out with a lead wgt. been there and done that a few times.
Nice video those gopros do a good job!
John
That's how I got mine out.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Man, that tree just jumed right out in front of you!

I hear ya about getting out early these days. I was at the field at 5:10 this past Saturday, and didn't even bother going out Sunday. Too blazin hot!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

GREAT VIDEO!! that gopro has great focus and what a clear sky. not a cloud about.

but that dang tree.......cut it down!!!

just kidding of coarse,looks like trees are a bit scarce there in AZ. hope the bird is ok and glad to see the camera was still working.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Man... I want a Go Pro.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 AM
starcad
Model Designer

What is so funny is I always tell myself to aim for myself and then use the rudder to turn away landing at my feet. I hate walking over to pick up a plane. I think sleep had a lot to do with it and that plane magnet just caught up with me.

The plane suffered a fractured vertical stab but nothing more than about 3 minutes and C/A can't fix. I'm going to try again Friday for the landing shot and see if I can't get a better focus on the camera. GoPro, the only way to Go.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

That was a great video. Its always the tree you know is there and have avoided more times than you count, Suddenly that one tree gets hungry and BLAM GOTCH YA

I lived in Tucson back in the 80s and I did like the view of the Mountains. I think they are called the Catalinas? Many a memories up in thse Mountains