My girlfriend's Foam Beaver project (Pics too!) - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

My girlfriend's Foam Beaver project (Pics too!)

Old 07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Default My girlfriend's Foam Beaver project (Pics too!)

Well, I did what no other man has done. I got my girl hooked on electric flight! After flying my last plane, and doing very well, she has decided that she wants to build her own and learn how to fly. We decided on teh Beaver instead of the Slow Stick, as it is still a very docile plane, yet resembles a real aircraft. I will help her on a trainer cord and it shouldnt be a problem.

We picked up the slope glider version, as I already had an extra 350 and 300 motor laying around. Grabbed some servos as well and we were all set.

=====================

Started off by strengthening the rear of the fuse with some epoxy and 1/2oz cloth. Very minimal use to keep weight down. Glued the fuse together and installed the correct dihedral in the wings.

Laid down some of the basic paint as well. Yes, what you see in the pics is true - she wanted it painted pink. Looks great though, and matches her personality.

Let me make everyone aware that while I am offering guidance in this project, she is doing almost all of the work. She wanted this to be her plane and I think that is just fantastic.

Please, anyone who has any tips about this plane, please post them. This is her first plane, so we want it to be as good as possible. Should we be aware of any mods that are needed?

Hope everyone enjoys this thread - more to follow in the next few days.

Here are some pics of what has been done so far. That's my sweetie modeling the plane for me!

She loves the fact that her plane is called a 'Beaver' - makes her smile everytime we talk about it.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

She got alot accomplished last night. Based on recommendations, we installed a long wooden dowell on the front of the wing, attached with strapping tape. Also used strapping tape on the center of the wing fore to aft. Those small mods seemed to make the wing much stronger.

Installed the tail feathers as well. A problem arose at that time. When attempting to mount the control surfaces to the rear stabs, we tried to use packing tape. It didn't really secure it well enough. Does anyone have another idea here?

Here are some updated photos of the plane, it's coming along nicely.

=================================================

Update on the build, the plane is pretty much done. Installed and attached the tail feathers and installed the pushrods. I noticed that the plane doesn't include the plastic pushrod guides. We installed the rods without them, but I am suprised they weren't included. Also epoxied the landing gear on and mounted a shaped popcicle stick to add in securing them well. Installed the motor and speed control - went with the 300C motor on D gearing. I have a 350, but its in B gearing, and I worry that might propell the plane at too high a speed for her to start with. This plane seems very light, so I assume the 300 will fly her okay. What does everyone else think? Would be running it on 8cell AAA packs.

Finally, installed the cowl and finished the wing struts. Here are a couple of photos of her and the and plane.

All that's left to acomplish is to install the servos and receiver and she is ready to fly.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Well - We got the plane all charged and ready to go. Trims are all set and everything is complete. Was not able to maiden her last night due to extreme wind. Should be calm here this evening, so the maiden is planned for tonight.

Amazingly enough - the plane came out balanced perfectly without needing to add any nose weight. Have her balanced at 45mm behind the LE of the wing. Is this the correct spot?

Total weight, with all electronics, motor, and battery is only 13.4oz. Came in quite light I must say! She taxied it around the driveway and was giddy with excitement. Plenty of power it seems on the 300C with a 10x4.7 prop.

Here are some photos of the inside radio compartment, the plane, and her. Yes, what you see on the wing is her design of a lipstick kiss. This plane is so girlie. Jeez

Old 07-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

My girlfriend maidened her Beaver today after waiting almost a month for the wind to calm down.

3 flights, all a success - used a 1300mah 3S lipo pack with the 350C motor on B gearing swinging a 10x4.7 prop. Set the throttle ATV to 70% to prevent overloading the motor.

Plane flew great - even handled the minor wind gusts. Very stable aircraft. This was only her second or third time on the sticks, and she did just fantastic! Consecutive loops, great patterns around the field. I was very impressed. Plane just glides like its made of cotton too. Going into the wind, she even managed to pull off a pretty good wingover, albeit I think it wasn't on purpose.

Here are a couple of photos of her at the field - one with the plane, and another with a HUGE smile on her face while flying! Enjoy

Old 07-21-2005, 06:47 PM
JFGrn

I mean. How do I say this.
Great job on your girlfriends Beaver!
It looks like she's got a handle on things. Congrats.

John

Last edited by JFGrn; 07-21-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

JfGrn - I know, it's hard to make comments about it without snickering, isn't it?

But yes, I am very proud of her. I hope to teach her how to land on the next trip out, she still gives it to me for that part.

Keep telling her that taking off is an option, but landing is manditory.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Congratulations to your both! Keep her around as they are hard to come by

-Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Thanks Mike - I plan to!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:26 PM
stuk_at_work

Ahh. Female pilots. We need more of them! Congrats to the both of you.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Stuk - you arn't kidding - She is suprised whenever we go to the flying field and she is the only female there.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
mastrsn
"Look out for that pole!"

Wow, man......

Your girlfriend has a nice Beaver!

"Look out for those pesky Lightpoles!"
BB
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 AM
mastrsn
"Look out for that pole!"

I have truly come to believe that you can't really enjoy a nice Beaver unless you try one on the water.......

"Look out for those pesky Lightpoles!"
BB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nice.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	153   Click image for larger version

Name:	the Beav.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	154  
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

mastrsn - I have seen several with floats and it is calling to us. Once she becomes more proficient, and wants to step up to a plane that can handle the wind a little better, we will probably outfit the beaver with some water wings. She made a couple of landing attempts this weekend. Did great on her first one, but came in way to hot on the second. Flipped it over in the grass - no damage though other than a slightly dented cowling.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Boomerang

She, her, the one with the Beaver, your girl must have a name? Glad to see ....... is enjoying flying! - John
Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Thanks Jon - sure, her name is Shanon. She's a sweetie, and loves flying so far. Loves watching me too. Went flying this weekend, and later in the day, it got too windy for her plane, but she had plenty of fun watching me fly as well. She is getting better and better everyday.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
torqeroll

yes your girl friend has a nice beaver
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Boomerang

Give everyone's regards to Shanon, now we have all seen her ... um...er...Beaver.
Won't say any more, I'll only get in trouble! John.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Spacey

What can I say?? LOL!

Nice job on the plane buddy and companion! I am glad to see that it is nearly safe to say that this hobby is not only for the boys. We have 3 female pilots in our club and my new girlfriend is showing alot of interest in things. I got her going on the simulator now and let her fly my F5J competition glider and my Electra sometimes. Problem is I don't have any "training" planes as most my stuff is high performance 3D planes and well sorta tricky to learn on gliders but she is getting a grasp of things. She really sucks up every bit of info I blabber while at the field and I got a feeling she'll make a great pilot one day.

Oh and for those of you that doesn't know! The South African team flying in the F3B gliding world champs right now as we speak has a female pilot part of the team. And yes she is doing very well!! Goooo team SA!!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Spacey - I agree, all my planes were high performance too. But, for a whopping 20.00 I purchased this Beaver, and it has been great!

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
bc-slowflyer
Anything Electric

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict
mastrsn - I have seen several with floats and it is calling to us. Once she becomes more proficient, and wants to step up to a plane that can handle the wind a little better, we will probably outfit the beaver with some water wings. She made a couple of landing attempts this weekend. Did great on her first one, but came in way to hot on the second. Flipped it over in the grass - no damage though other than a slightly dented cowling.
Take it from a guy that just started flying on floats...it's way easier than taking off and landing on a runway. I converted my E-Starter to floats 2 weeks ago and I can't believe how easy it is!!
Great to see your girlfriend involved in this hobby with you. She's a keeper.

Thanks;
Rod
Old 08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I think it is great you have a girl who loves planes and knows how to fly.mine likes watching me and said she wanted to learn but she hasnt,she doesnt listen to what I try to tell her about it,thats a nice looking plane your gf has,its colorful tell her good job.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Foamies - Thanks for the headsup!

She did all the paint work herself, although I did help her mask it off.

She is still stubborn like many women and doesn't always listen to my tips, but overall, she is doing great!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict
Foamies - Thanks for the headsup!

She did all the paint work herself, although I did help her mask it off.

She is still stubborn like many women and doesn't always listen to my tips, but overall, she is doing great!!!
Well make sure you keep her,If I ever found a girl who could fly like sounds like yours can I would marry her. Enjoy that life,hehe Imjust glad mine does enjoy going to the feild with me and taking pictures of me flying.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Epoxycup

Default Beaver

Thumbs up on the Beaver, you couldnt have picked a better flying plane for her, she will loveit.:p
Be sure that the wing struts dont come loose from the bamboo sticks or the wing will fold . Other than that they are just plain fun. Congradulations on the beaver and Sharons flying skills
Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Epoxy - Thanks for the great comments. She is coming along very nicely. I originally wanted her to get a slowstick, but she wanted a plane that looked "real". I am suprised at how well this plane actually flies. Great for a beginner.

She is now taking off from the grass, climbing, doing some great patterns around the field and landing - all solo.

Quick Reply: My girlfriend's Foam Beaver project (Pics too!)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10090 seconds with 14 queries