Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

I am having an EDF dilemma as well

Old 11-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default I am having an EDF dilemma as well

Hello all,
A Smoking hot little Santa helper granted this Ole man a new plane for Christmas. I may be nuts for thinking about this but as of late I have been very interested in EDFs. Now it is possible this is way past my flying experience, I have been arguing with myself a lot about it. So it may just sit on the shelf waiting until I think I am ready to fly it but I am torn between these 3 planes

1) The Stinger 64 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17942

2) The F4D-1 Skyray
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lug_n_Fly.html

3)Phase 3 EF-16
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-and-esc.html

Was hoping I could get your advice on these planes. Has anyone own 1 or more of the 3, and do you think 1 of them would make a good choice for a beginning EDF, or Fish your nuts I recommend this type of EDF and or finally Fish you are not ready for an EDF?

I really value your all advice and the reviews I have read seemed biased because I did not find to many bad ones. So I would love to hear from the real experience. I eagerly await any and all replies
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez

Last edited by Fishbonez; 11-24-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I just got a Hobby Lobby F4D-1 a little over a month ago. It's my 2nd EDF, my first was the Dynam Turbojet. I'm pretty sure the HobbyKing version is a clone. Can't guarantee the power system would be the same, though. Mine had a 30A ESC, but the motor doesn't have the same markings as the listing on the HK site.

The Skyray is SUPER easy to fly! But don't expect a speed demon. I 'raced' a buddy with his SuperCub LP, and I had a narrow win! It's just elevons, ground steering, and throttle, so it's bank and yank. It's interesting in that you need to have some energy control as it won't climb like a rocket, but you're safe slowing to like zero airspeed as she'll float forever. The rolling takeoffs are neat and scale-like, as they can eat up some runway. While I haven't done it, should be easy to hand launch with it's low speed prowess. LOL.

But it is fun to fly. The neatest thing about it is how slow it can fly. This also means if you want to even think about doing a loop, you have to climb for altitude, then dive for airspeed. And to get the landings right using the landing gear, you have to cut the throttle and hold it just off the runway and pull more and more elevator, until it's full, and wiat for it to quit flying and it just plops down with almost zero roll out. If you try to land with speed, it's like an out of control kangaroo!

I've already upgraded it with one of these:

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Hao...-00305-5BP.htm

And a 54 Amp Thunderbird ESC, and 2200mah battery. Now it has more jet like speed, but the landings carry a little more speed with the extra weight. Still have to look out for the kangaroo thing. Loops are no problem now!

The listed CG is way too far fwd. Someone at RCGroups showed a better one. (Don't know the exact measurement. He showed it on a picture.) I had to put some lead in the tail. Some people also bend the main landing gear fwd as they are very far aft of the CG, and cause you to really jump off the ground when it finally rotates.

I got 5 minute flights easy with both power systems. (1300 and 1600 mah batts on the original motor.)

Anyways, I also love it, as I love the crazy 50's jets, especially Navy stuff. Man, I'd love to have a Cutlass to go with this, but searching around, I'll have to build it, or work a LOT of overtime.

Sorry if I've gone on too long. Just trying to give the whole story on the Ford. Don't know about the others.

Last edited by xmech2k; 11-24-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: More info...
Old 11-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks XM
So you think the Ford is a good choice for someone who has never flown an EDF? I am also a Ford Truck guy and not a Fan of Chevy so I wonder if that may have led me to consider this plane LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Ugh, I did forget to mention the poor canopy fit. I had to grind down some foam at the front and rear, and there is still some gap in the middle area. But you sure don't see it in the air. I also added a magnet to the front and rear as i feared losing it with the higher speeds of the new power system.

OK I'll stop now! Sorry!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

No do not be sorry. This is the kind of info I am looking for. I am always a bit uneasy about reviews I get online because why would a website selling something put a bad review in when they can flood you with good.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Oops, I typed that message at the same time as you.

I can't think an EDF gets any easier than the Ford. Of course my EDF experience is this one, and the Dynam Turbojet, which I chose due to the long straight wing and twin EDFs. I figured it's more like a conventional plane and therefore an easy EDF to fly. But it's one you have to keep the speed up or you'll still tip stall, and I've seen YouTube vids of just that, and there's another guy in my club having that same problem. This is no issue with the Ford. I think if you can fly the SuperCub and anything else with ailerons well, then you can handle the Skyray.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Cool I am definitly keeping this one in mind. Thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

FishBonez, If you are a solid Intermediate flyer then I recommend the Phase3 F-16. I have had this plane for a several years in stock form and I LOVE it. I've logged over 130 flights and she is one of my favorites.

The flight characteristics are good. It doesn't have a huge wing area so speed is important to remember when making sharp turns. It will glide a loong time when coming in straight and level. Once you get more comfortable with it, you can go nice and slow with the nose up high around 30% throttle.

I have said many times that this is the best $99 I've spent in this hobby.
And now they are on sale for $69!!

Minuses: It is a smaller bird, it gets small real quick when zooming away from you. The tailerons are somewhat prone to damage. I land in a farmer field and every once in a while the control surface snags and flips around during landing. I've read the stock decals are hard to apply. You have to hand launch and belly land. No provisions for gear are supplied.

Good luck and good shopping!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p3_f16.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	155071   Click image for larger version

Name:	F16_1sembach.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	155072   Click image for larger version

Name:	F16_2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	155073  
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

My Choice would be the phase 3, I have seen a lot of them flying, everyone loves them, and i love the fact that its on Sale
Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM
earthsciteach

The first EDF I flew was a Sky Angel/J Powers 50 mm F/A-18. It is very easy to fly out of the box. It flies pretty well at slow speeds, too. But, the little thing really shines when the throttle is full forward. I've heard people describe airplanes as "flying on rails," but until I flew the F-18 I had never experienced it for myself. It seems so solid in the air. Point it in a direction and it stays in that direction.

Drawbacks: The long, thin nose, while being fairly resilient, will break pretty easily. I had a hard time hand-launching it. She is very mushy until she gets up enough speed. I've figured out how to hand launch since then, so I suspect I would have much better luck, now. All crashes, save one due to a tx issue, were at launch.

Being so small and fast, it can be easy to lose orientation. But I got used to that pretty quickly. Not a big deal.

I don't have much experience with edf's. I've flown the F-18 and my Mig-15 only. But the F-18 is SO much more well behaved than my Mig!

Of course, Solentlife's T-45 looks pretty amazing, too! WOW!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
walnutdad
chill

Thumbs up

Check out the Nitroplanes Exceed 70mm Mig-15.Comes with electric retracts or wire fixed gear.RTF, receiver ready or kit and add you own power system.This is my first EDF.For years I watched guys at the field fly the smaller jets and thought they were too small,difficult to fly and keep orientation.But this one is larger, easier to see and pretty stable.The speed is fast but not ultrasonic (maybe 75-80 mph).Which for me was/is perfect. If you fly off grass like I do remove the gear and hand launch.Nice level throw at full thottle and it flies right out. I think it's a good beginner EDF.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
FishBonez, If you are a solid Intermediate flyer then I recommend the Phase3 F-16. I have had this plane for a several years in stock form and I LOVE it. I've logged over 130 flights and she is one of my favorites.

The flight characteristics are good. It doesn't have a huge wing area so speed is important to remember when making sharp turns. It will glide a loong time when coming in straight and level. Once you get more comfortable with it, you can go nice and slow with the nose up high around 30% throttle.

I have said many times that this is the best $99 I've spent in this hobby.
And now they are on sale for $69!!

Minuses: It is a smaller bird, it gets small real quick when zooming away from you. The tailerons are somewhat prone to damage. I land in a farmer field and every once in a while the control surface snags and flips around during landing. I've read the stock decals are hard to apply. You have to hand launch and belly land. No provisions for gear are supplied.

Good luck and good shopping!
Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
My Choice would be the phase 3, I have seen a lot of them flying, everyone loves them, and i love the fact that its on Sale
Thanks Chelleie and Max for your help. Chellie I have to admit I began looking at this plane originally because of its price Everyone is on a tight budget these days. Max you have a good point here when you say are you an intermediate. I am pretty self critical of myself. When I goto the field at times see a person flying their planes and I think to myself Wow that guys is good look at what that guy can do he must be an expert. He or she will laugh and tell me they are just an intermediate pilot. So I have to think to myself I am still a beginner because I can not fly that well. I only have to 3 flying planes. 2 super cubs 1 in the original 3 channel and the 2nd with aileron and brushless motor mod. I also have a wild hawk. All of which I think I fly well. Loops, roles and land fairly successfully. I do still fly 3 mistakes high for 2 reasons. I am usually using a video camera and like to get the view and secondly I just feel more comfortable there. This is one of the reasons I have this dilemma. EDFs in general are smaller than what I am used to flying and obviously quick. However I do love a challenge whether I cam overcome them or not and love the learning experience involved. I appreciate the input and definitely weighing all this in
Old 11-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
The first EDF I flew was a Sky Angel/J Powers 50 mm F/A-18. It is very easy to fly out of the box. It flies pretty well at slow speeds, too. But, the little thing really shines when the throttle is full forward. I've heard people describe airplanes as "flying on rails," but until I flew the F-18 I had never experienced it for myself. It seems so solid in the air. Point it in a direction and it stays in that direction.

Drawbacks: The long, thin nose, while being fairly resilient, will break pretty easily. I had a hard time hand-launching it. She is very mushy until she gets up enough speed. I've figured out how to hand launch since then, so I suspect I would have much better luck, now. All crashes, save one due to a tx issue, were at launch.

Being so small and fast, it can be easy to lose orientation. But I got used to that pretty quickly. Not a big deal.

I don't have much experience with edf's. I've flown the F-18 and my Mig-15 only. But the F-18 is SO much more well behaved than my Mig!

Of course, Solentlife's T-45 looks pretty amazing, too! WOW!
Teach you may have added another plane to my dilemma LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by walnutdad View Post
Check out the Nitroplanes Exceed 70mm Mig-15.Comes with electric retracts or wire fixed gear.RTF, receiver ready or kit and add you own power system.This is my first EDF.For years I watched guys at the field fly the smaller jets and thought they were too small,difficult to fly and keep orientation.But this one is larger, easier to see and pretty stable.The speed is fast but not ultrasonic (maybe 75-80 mph).Which for me was/is perfect. If you fly off grass like I do remove the gear and hand launch.Nice level throw at full thottle and it flies right out. I think it's a good beginner EDF.
I may have to do some more homework on this one. I do like its size and for me sometimes the bigger the plane the better
Old 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM
walnutdad
chill

Yeah check it out. As you can see I've been a member of this forum for many years,but I'm not to good with computers so I don't know how to post vids or pics.so you can have links.But there are some build threads around that were helpful.
I fly it stock. The only thing I changed was the elevator servo to a hs65 karbonite gear servo,the stock one wouldn't center. I also removed nose gear servo.With no landing gear you can fly bigger batteries.I use 4s 3600 turnigy 30c. What I love is the way this mig sounds. Not that hair dryer whine but a nice whoosh sound as you go by on a low level pass. you'll love it. Sweet flyer.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Well the sale must have ended it jumped back up in price. Thats what I get for thinking about it first. I think it will go back on sale soon however. I am still stuck in deciding there is so much to choose from and many so cool to look at I love my wife for giving me this choice but golly now I can not decide. I think she likes it when I struggle at a decision
Old 11-26-2011, 02:41 PM
SARG5
SARG5

SARG5 from Kansas here. New to this stuff. Love the Multiplex foam. Winter project, going to try and scratch build an F-16 and an F-22. Why. Have been told these two planes will handle our KANSAS WINDS better then most.
NOW, QUESTION
Prop or Ducted Fan
I pulled these two plans off a www. site. The F-16 will have a wing of 28 in.
The F-22 will have a wing of 38 in.
The plans have then set up for prop. Was wondering if the DUCTED FAN would work good or as well, OR WILL IT BE TOOOOOOO FAST for this OLD MAN???
What say you all
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

IMHO I would go EDF. Why? Well when you are talking jets I think it it looks far better and adds to the mystique of the plane where a prop just does not look correct or to scale, if you would. I personally have never flown an EDF but am excited to devil into it. I do know that EDF is fast how fast can range over 100 mph depending on what you build. I guess my question to you would be how fast is too fast? If you do not think you can control one then definitly put a prop on it and wach her go you may just love it and the later if you decide to speed things up a bit put an EDF in that baby and let her really go. May not be the best advice and hopefully someone will be able to help you more. Good luck and enjoy. I know how you feel about the winds. I had a lot of family in Kansas and sepent a lot of time in Wtichitaw and Topeka areas as a child. I also live here in Wyoming where wind loves to hang out and freeze us all.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
SARG5
SARG5

I have been on the scratch built thread. Still trying to get my head around all of this new to me SCRATCH BUILT. My winter project.!!!!
What foam are most of you using??
My two sons in the sign bus. suggest that I look at the SIGN BUSS. [GATOR FOAM].
Anyone know about this foam??
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 11-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I have never used that foam or ever heard of anyone using it but that means very little. I use the Fan Fold Foam you can purchase at the local hardware store. I know a lot of people have been using Dollar Store Foam however I have not used that either because the Dollar Store here does not sell it. There are a lot of foams out there on the market today. I am very new to scratch builds only have made one and yet to get it to fly more than once LOL but it will happen Oh Yes it will happen LOL
I hope this helps if niot just a little
Fishbonez
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM
SARG5
SARG5

WY, Yep YOU do have wind up there. Used to pull RV,s from factory across I-80. Was always glad to get out of there. We also go North on I-25 headed to Canada for fishing trips, with RV & boat behind.
Thank you for your advise. By spring, should have something going.
Interesting. I pulled the plan for F-16 from a www. site. Came out 8X11 sheet. Took this sheet to a blue print shop, they blew it up to scale for me. Was quite simple, they made the 28 In. wing to scale, this made everything else on the sheet to scale. Took 4 sheets of large blue print paper to get it all done. But only cost me $10.00 for the job.
NOW, If!!!!!!!!!! I get to looking at the EDF what size should I start to look at
Wind here is about 50mph today. YES, it did come in from Wy. THANKS A LOT !!
SARG5
Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
WY, Yep YOU do have wind up there. Used to pull RV,s from factory across I-80. Was always glad to get out of there. We also go North on I-25 headed to Canada for fishing trips, with RV & boat behind.
Thank you for your advise. By spring, should have something going.
Interesting. I pulled the plan for F-16 from a www. site. Came out 8X11 sheet. Took this sheet to a blue print shop, they blew it up to scale for me. Was quite simple, they made the 28 In. wing to scale, this made everything else on the sheet to scale. Took 4 sheets of large blue print paper to get it all done. But only cost me $10.00 for the job.
NOW, If!!!!!!!!!! I get to looking at the EDF what size should I start to look at
Wind here is about 50mph today. YES, it did come in from Wy. THANKS A LOT !!
SARG5
Nice deal with the plans and only 10 bucks cool. I intend to do the same for a scratchbuild I wish to do for my winter build. As far as size of EDF that is a good question for I have not deviled in it enough to know for now. Me I just plan on buying an EDF to try it out and see if it is something I can do it just so hard to pick there are so many nice ones out there.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok I have weighed in all you advice and appreciate all of it. Thanks I think I have made my decision and I am going to have to go with the The Stinger 64 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17942
Here is how I came to my decision
1)Affordable @ an average price 0f $85 I cant beat that. Plus my Smoking Hot Santa Helper likes it when I keep price to a minimum
2)Portable. Looks like it will fit in any vehicle and be ready to go for some fun
3)From doing my homework it appears this is a good plane for someone who would like to see if EDFs are something they like. I may find that EDF is to much speed or fun for me.
4)I like how the EDF motor is accessable after building which makes it nice for upgrading
5)I like how the foam is already molded for retractable landing gear servos for a nice upgrade
6)It looks just plain fun

I Still would love to hear your opinons on this because as said beofor I value them all
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM
earthsciteach

Looks like a good choice, Bonez. Oh, and there is no such thing as TOO MUCH speed!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Looks like a good choice, Bonez. Oh, and there is no such thing as TOO MUCH speed!
Thanks LOL for me there can be TOO MUCH speed have you seen my videos LOL

Quick Reply: I am having an EDF dilemma as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13811 seconds with 15 queries