Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

I am having an EDF dilemma as well

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 AM
  #26  
quorneng
Super Contributor
 
quorneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 2,091
Default

It depends on what you mean by a ducted fan.
This has a 7 blade fan and its in a duct yet is slow, in fact very slow, but still fun to fly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WbmCmplt.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	155141
quorneng is online now  
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 AM
  #27  
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,100
Default

Hey Bonz, that Stinger64 looks great. If I had a money printer, I'd have one of those, too!

But I wanted to mention, it seems you think just because a plane uses EDF it's fast. In fact, I'd guess that most EDFs you see advertised are probably way underpowered in their stock form. I've seen many an F-15, F-16, and F-18 just mushing around the sky way behind the power curve, like they can't get 'up on step' for lack of a better term. Of course it could be the pilots, too.

Anyways, as always, make sure to read what the average Joe has experienced with this model and learn. Good luck, and now I can't wait for Christmas to see how your new EDF is!
xmech2k is offline  
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 AM
  #28  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,276
Default

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
It depends on what you mean by a ducted fan.
This has a 7 blade fan and its in a duct yet is slow, in fact very slow, but still fun to fly.
Attachment 155141
whats the kv on the motor and how many cells are you using and whats the mah, you might be able to use a 4 cell lipo and larger ESC to get some speed out of it Take care and have fun, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 AM
  #29  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Hey Bonz, that Stinger64 looks great. If I had a money printer, I'd have one of those, too!

But I wanted to mention, it seems you think just because a plane uses EDF it's fast. In fact, I'd guess that most EDFs you see advertised are probably way underpowered in their stock form. I've seen many an F-15, F-16, and F-18 just mushing around the sky way behind the power curve, like they can't get 'up on step' for lack of a better term. Of course it could be the pilots, too.

Anyways, as always, make sure to read what the average Joe has experienced with this model and learn. Good luck, and now I can't wait for Christmas to see how your new EDF is!
Thanks I am really jazed to get it. I think this is the first time I am not worried how long it takes to be delivered since I promised my wife I would not fly it until after christmas.

I would say you were right about EDF=Fast. I guess I always assumed they were since I have never seen a slow one or they all seem faster than any plane I have witnessed or flown. I admit spee3d does intimidate me a bit because the faster they fly the faster they meet the ground.

I did read a lot about this plane from the website to RC groups, wattflyer and this thread. I also know a person who owns one and so far I can not see to many complaints except for the folks that seem everything must be upgraded or it is no fun.

Again thanks everyone for their input it was a tough decision and in the end I think I picked a good one. Well we will see if I did
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 AM
  #30  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Well Today I learned the plane shipped. Coming from Singapore thought I was ordering ot from the USA warehouse but...again I am not worried about the amount of time it takes to get here because I promised my wife I would wait until after christmas. Was hoping I could find a sim for Realplayer but no success. So I guess I will ricatice with a MIG while I wait and wait and wait.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 AM
  #31  
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,100
Default

The sims are never really perfect. Just find something similar from the descriptions and pretend! And did you mean Realflight?
xmech2k is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
  #32  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Thanks for the advice I will take it. Yea I meant Realflight boy I really should have paid attention in that typing class way back in High School
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM
  #33  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,877
Default

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
................................
Of course, Solentlife's T-45 looks pretty amazing, too! WOW!
It's my first EDF .... and I was so amazed at how controllable it was. It went where you pointed it.

But the real beauty was that I did nothing in terms of modification to it other than fit a larger LiPo. The motor / DF / ESC are all exactly as they came out of box.

One item that needed fixing after maiden though ... When I got home - I found that one aileron servo had a damaged output gear and it was clicking .. that servo worked most of the time but at times only gave 1/4 movement ...



Obviously landing had snagged the control arm under the wing. A poor design fault I think. I may do as another has done - flip the servos / horns so that arm exits top of wing to aileron control horns. Or just fit metal gear servos considering that i now have wheels fitted.





I am now itching to add to my EDF fleet ......... shall I go full on Landers model with retracts, larger etc. ?? The Hawker Hunter is niggling away at me ....
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
  #34  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

That looks awesome.

Here is one I have been considering for the spring. Assuming I dont smash the stinger into little tiny pieces

http://www.ehobbies.com/pkz7075.html...mpaign=froogle
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
  #35  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,877
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
That looks awesome.

Here is one I have been considering for the spring. Assuming I dont smash the stinger into little tiny pieces

http://www.ehobbies.com/pkz7075.html...mpaign=froogle
For me - there are far less pricey models than that out there and scale as well.
If I'm going to spend that sort of money - then the Landers range would be IMHO a better choice.

And I'm usually forced to buy via Ebay due to location and lack of shops etc.
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
  #36  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Wow that is a nice plane and at 66 dollars at nitroplanes.com very hard to beat. If I can fly the stinger this very well may be the 2nd EDF I get. Should make a nice pair.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
  #37  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

Which one is $66?!!!!!
earthsciteach is offline  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
  #38  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Which one is $66?!!!!!
http://www.nitroplanes.com/rclander-thunderblade.html
Currently on sale at nitroplanes.com
Might be a Habu clone
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
  #39  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,877
Default

In fact RC lander is copied by others ..............

This Thunderblade is one of their budget entry models .......... as I'm told.
solentlife is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
  #40  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Thumbs up Finally arrived

Just in time for Christmas my Stinger 64 has finally arrived. HobbyKing definitly knows how to make a man sweat. Now like a little kid I must wait until Christmas to open it. I have caught myself inspecting the box often LOL
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM
  #41  
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??
 
AirmanAirhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 607
Default

I'm gravely concerned that you all have missed a very important fact.

Fishbonez said he had "been given a plane for Christmas..." Hello, it's December 23!!!

What's going on here? Us "Ole Guys" are as bad as the kids!!!!

AA
AirmanAirhead is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 PM
  #42  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

Bonez, I expect an onboard video of the maiden on 25 December. Anything less and my Christmas will be unfulfilled.
earthsciteach is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 01:03 AM
  #43  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
I'm gravely concerned that you all have missed a very important fact.

Fishbonez said he had "been given a plane for Christmas..." Hello, it's December 23!!!

What's going on here? Us "Ole Guys" are as bad as the kids!!!!

AA
Actually it was for my 20th Wedding Anniversary. I just found that out today. My Lovely Hottie of a wife married this ugly pheller on the 29th of December but we always exchange our Anniversary gifts on Christmas.

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Bonez, I expect an onboard video of the maiden on 25 December. Anything less and my Christmas will be unfulfilled.
Well I would love to be able to maiden on Christmas but I wont be home to do it. I will be celebrating Christmas with my family and visiting my folks in Colorado so I wont get not flying time in. Even though it is suposed to be a high of 40 here in Cheyenne. Also about a week ago I crashed FWD into a conex box and the mini cam got smashed. So I am currently waiting for a new one in the mail. I promise to have my wife or daughter video tape the maiden when it comes. I worry it may be to much speed for me but I am eager.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 AM
  #44  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

Poor FWD! What happened this time???

I flew my cub today with a 2200 mah, 11.1V for the first time. I used some "creative engineering" to wedge it into the plane above the battery box. This entailed a bunch of packaging tape and, well basically shoving the battery into the plane until the foam gave a bit.

She flew well enough, but the winds were pretty stout and gusty. I had a fear that the battery would jar loose and fall back towards the tail resulting in (another) horrible crash. That didn't stop me from doing a few loops, rolls, inverted flight, hammerheads and REALLY snappy snap rolls. Placing the battery more on centerline makes for some crazy snap rolls!

Then a guy with this really cool English Sheepdog named Raven showed up. He and Raven are a very common occurrence in the field behind my house. She was in an exceptionally friendly mood today, so I had a good time petting her while the guy tried to get her to leave me alone so I could fly. Actually, I have as much fun just giving her a good ear rub when she shows up as I do flying!

I did manage a perfect vertical landing with the wind. Figured it would only go down hill from there, so I packed it in. I did a good bit of flying at high throttle and it didn't even draw the 2200 below 11.8 amps!

Oh, and if you have a phone with a video camera... Just tape it to the edf. Piece of cake!
earthsciteach is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 AM
  #45  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
[Poor FWD! What happened this time???!
Well put simply I was enjoying a nice flight with FWD, my super cub with ailerons who has a knack for finding exciting ways to crash. When suddenly FWD decided to live upto her name when a connex box jumped out of no where. I smacked thing ding at least 30 mph, guesstimate of course, You could hear the the THUNG from a longs way off. While walking to the plane I thought to myself not to bad. Then I saw the cowl/motor and forewall in one spot and the tail in another. figured still not to bad I have a spare fuse. Then I saw the minicam in 3 pieces. Obviouslyy when my cub hit the connex my minicam kept going right into it shattering the case. I was excited to see the video of it, thought it might make a good crash vid, but for some reason it got wiped clean nothing on the disc no way to boot the cam either. Figures I finally get a chance to have a funny crash and my cam gets smahed. I ususally lose it but this time it was all there and I still need to buy a new one So I flew ole reliable my other cub and it flew Awesome as usual. A few hours later FWD is ready for another day. but have not been able to get the balance quite right


Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
[I flew my cub today with a 2200 mah, 11.1V for the first time. I used some "creative engineering" to wedge it into the plane above the battery box. This entailed a bunch of packaging tape and, well basically shoving the battery into the plane until the foam gave a bit.

She flew well enough, but the winds were pretty stout and gusty. I had a fear that the battery would jar loose and fall back towards the tail resulting in (another) horrible crash. That didn't stop me from doing a few loops, rolls, inverted flight, hammerheads and REALLY snappy snap rolls. Placing the battery more on centerline makes for some crazy snap rolls!

Then a guy with this really cool English Sheepdog named Raven showed up. He and Raven are a very common occurrence in the field behind my house. She was in an exceptionally friendly mood today, so I had a good time petting her while the guy tried to get her to leave me alone so I could fly. Actually, I have as much fun just giving her a good ear rub when she shows up as I do flying!

I did manage a perfect vertical landing with the wind. Figured it would only go down hill from there, so I packed it in. I did a good bit of flying at high throttle and it didn't even draw the 2200 below 11.8 amps!

Oh, and if you have a phone with a video camera... Just tape it to the edf. Piece of cake!
There is nothing better than a dog and flying. My yellow lab Laci often joins me for some fun. She loves to bark at the plane upon take off and landing and loves to go on a ocasional trek to locate one or two

Last edited by Fishbonez; 12-24-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 AM
  #46  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

Yellow lab? I have one of those. His name is Cooper and he's an awesome guy, except he is a food stealing ninja. I also have a black lab named Barley. He's 130 pounds of pure muscle and neurosis. The most horrifying thing in his life is the smoke detector, which goes off too often when cooking due to the peaked ceiling in our living room. He trembles like the great San Francisco earthquake and drools like, well, a dog whenever we fry anything. Poor guy. He is such a gentle soul but really is intimidating to those who don't know him! Labs are the best dogs ever!

Here's a pic of my two jackballs. The random wood in the yard was stolen by Cooper. He thinks he is entitled to all firewood. Burning firewood doesn't really discourage him. Pure ninja.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSCF2100.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	155738  
earthsciteach is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:02 AM
  #47  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Default

Very Nice. I seem to recall one of the dogs eating one of the parts to your planes. LOL Laci is also a food ninja except she prefers socks, paper and dryer sheets oh and her poop. LOL She is a big fan of her 2 cats who grew up with her. Loves everyone and would love to destroy her arch nemesis the door bell. SHe is a great dog love her to death
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 AM
  #48  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

Yeah, Cooper ate the canopy to my Spitfire shortly after receiving the plane. Perhaps he was trying to save me from the subsequent frustration of trying to fly that horrid plane as stock. Most recently, he chewed up the nose of my Syma S107 copter. Its really only cosmetic. I just don't get why he randomly decides to eat RC stuff. He pretty much ignores my stuff. I'm thinking he feels slighted for some reason and seeks revenge.

Oh, he also like to suck on pillows. We have to put our pillows in the closet or he will soak them in slobber. Its very Freudian. I had to throw one out today. He stole it out from under me sometime last night. Pure ninja.
earthsciteach is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 AM
  #49  
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
Thread Starter
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,962
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Yeah, Cooper ate the canopy to my Spitfire shortly after receiving the plane. Perhaps he was trying to save me from the subsequent frustration of trying to fly that horrid plane as stock. Most recently, he chewed up the nose of my Syma S107 copter. Its really only cosmetic. I just don't get why he randomly decides to eat RC stuff. He pretty much ignores my stuff. I'm thinking he feels slighted for some reason and seeks revenge.

Oh, he also like to suck on pillows. We have to put our pillows in the closet or he will soak them in slobber. Its very Freudian. I had to throw one out today. He stole it out from under me sometime last night. Pure ninja.
Nice!!LOL I think all Labs have their own weird quirks to them. Laci when she feels like she is being ignored or is mad that I have left the house without her she will take it out on my shoes. If she does not hide it she will sling it around




PS Yes this post just got hijacked by a pack of Dogs LOL but that is alright with me Dogs are awesome

Last edited by Fishbonez; 12-24-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Fishbonez is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
  #50  
earthsciteach
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallastown, PA
Posts: 958
Default

I recall we hijacked another thread a while back with dog discussions! At least this one is your thread!
earthsciteach is offline  

Quick Reply: I am having an EDF dilemma as well


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14685 seconds with 14 queries