General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

mini titan blade tracking

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM
hangingon

Default mini titan blade tracking

I'm using a new set of eflite 325mm wood blades on my mini titan. Once I got them mounted I went to try to hover the heli and it didn't seem to want to lift off and I was almost full throttle and the heli was still setting on the ground. I don't remember it taking that much throttle to lift off. So I came home got my manual just to make sure I had the blades mounted in the right direction. I changed the blades because the covering was comming off my old set which were the same eflite 325mm wood. I did try tracking the blades with only the top links & I couldn't get them to track. Just so I know I'm only .5 crazy I had a friend meet me and he has flown my heli & he noticed the same it was not wanting to lift off like it had before! He tried to track the blades and got them a good bit closer but still couldn't get them tracking like they should and that didn't fix the lift off he got it in the air and we could see as more throttle was givin the blade tracking got worse. My friend said to go back thru the head check all the linkages and set them back to the factory settings stated in the manual after trying to adjust the tracking so thats what I did. My pitch curve is low 45% 2 47.5% then 50/75/100 thats normal mode. my blade pitch gauge shows my blades at mid stick 0 pitch & low & high stick is 9 degrees of pitch. If anyone has had this problem and found out what was causing it please let me know what you did to fix it? I did put my old blades back on to see how it does I've not had a chance to see if it's back to normal yet! I just cant see getting a set of blades that could be so screwed up too causing this much trouble.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

hangingon.....

I haven't jumped in on this one due to a few reasons:

I've never owned a mini Titan, so I'm not that familiar with the head configuration and linkage tolerances.

I've never had a set of blades for any heli I've owned be the problem with pitch ratios...had plenty that had serious balancing issues.

Your original pitch settings do not seem that far off what is commonly suggested for general flight (hover):

Position 1 = 0 throttle 0 pitch
Position 2 = 40% throttle +3 degrees
Position 3 (center stick) = 65% to 75% throttle +5 degrees
Position 4 = 85% throttle +7 degrees
Position 5 = 100% throttle +9 to 11 degrees

Most of the time (on my 450's) I had my ratios set like this:

Position 1 = 90% throttle -2 degrees
Position 2 = 85% throttle 0 degrees
Position 3 (center stick) = 80% throttle +2 degrees
Position 4 = 85% throttle +5 degrees
Position 5 = 100% throttle +10 degrees

Edit:

I had a 13t pinion on all of my 450's and flew idle up most of the time (they are much more stable at higher rpm's).

Not sure what is causing your issue (if you have not dumped it on it's head) It could be a linkage or swash plate bind, it could be a bad servo (just one will cause problems with others), it could be an electrical power issue related to the esc or rx, it could be a bearing issue not allowing full travel along the feathering shaft......many possibilities!

Sorry I'm not much help on this one.....need to see it...feel it..!

Last edited by pizzano; 05-11-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: info
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hangingon.....
I was thumbing through some of my old log books...looking at some blade pitch issues I jotted down......just wondering if your fly bar paddles are set to correspond to your blade pitch ratios....?

Just a thought!

Here's another link to look into....although the FBL is becoming more popular, still plenty on the mini Titan version you have:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/search/?q=Mini+Titan
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM
hangingon

The flybar is good that was the first thing I looked at. The manual doesn't cover blade tracking and I learned the upper linkage is for bigger adjustments and the lower link is for a smaller adjustment plus I was trying to adjust both blades and I went searching and found some info that helped. I wasn't getting any replys on the fourm. I would adjust the high blade and then it would become the low blade then I read about a full turn on the longer linkage is like making a half turn adjustment and the direction I should turn them. I wasn't feeling to good saturday and I'm not feeling to good today so I have not felt like messing with the heli. I did notice the new blades have a brass bushing in the bolt hole and none of my old Eflite blades do that might be what made a difference with the tracking I never had this to happen before. I do have it very close now I think one more turn of the lower linkage will get it I marked the blades 1 orange & the other green now it looks like the colors are riding piggyback .
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM
hangingon

Pizzano I have the blades tracked now the weather was good today so I got four flights / hovers in nothing great to say about flying but I'm moving the heli around more I'm using ailron and going in full circles and I turn with the heli keeping it tail in. Like flying a tather control plane. I worked on going to the left today next time will be to the right. I also used the rudder to turn the heli from tail in to the nose left & nose right only 1 or 2 times.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

That's great news...glad you got the blade pitch issue resolved......sounds like your'e actually enjoying this more....that's what it's all about!

Did you get the Stick back together......?

I've only been flying my Stick (Piper is down with a servo issue, just going to replace all 4)...and even at that, just a little. Been to damn busy chasing proposals and waiting outcomes......I'm really biting at the bit for the Trojan..........having dreams about it, that's how bad it's getting....lol
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
hangingon

I'm going to get a new motor mount for it and it may have damaged the motor it got hotter than normal. I have another motor. My vertical fin had come off before I glued it on but it came apart from the blue film so it made it thinner and this past crash it broke so I cut the thin part off and made a channel to mount to the center of the stick and I didn't get it as stright as it should be so I have to try and center it up it screws on and then the tail glues in the channel. If it doesn't work to good I'll just order a new one or see about finding some foam and cut a new one out. We have a hobby lobby craft store and they have foam sheets for model building I just thought about that as I was typing now I know thats what I'll do I can make a few of them.