ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

E-Flight Taylorcraft Setup Questions.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Mr.Clean

Default E-Flight Taylorcraft Setup Questions.

I just ordered an E-Flight Taylorcraft : http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2625

from my LHS. I have deceided that I am done trying to go really fast and being happy when I don't crash. Instead I am looking for more of an "end game" plane that I will have to fly and enjoy for years to come.
I saw the Taylorcraft in the last Horizion catalog and read some reviews and I have to say that this plane seems to fit what I am looking for.
But before I get started I wanted to open up my power system plans for discussion. Here they are:

1) DX-6
2) Common Sense E8-S-10 1000kv Brushess 480 motor.
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=297
3) Common Sense Z-20 ESC
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=313
OR
3.5) Common Sense Z-35 ESC
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=314
4) APC 10x7 E prop
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=357
5)20c 11.1 volt 2250mah Lithium polymer battery
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...php?item_id=29

I guess the question is in the esc selection. I know that the manufacturer suggests using a 12x6 e prop for the 480 motor but I already have the motor and I am not looking for the extra speed it offers so I thought that the 10x7 e would work.
I also have the 20 amp esc but if it is necessary I will get the bigger ESC.
Common Sence's power setup selection guide says that the 480-10x7e combo only produces 19 amps of power and suggests that I use the 20 amp esc.
E-Flight says that for the 450 setup with a 10x8 prop I will need a 25 amp esc and for the 480 setup with the 12x6 e prop I will need a 40 amp ESC.
So who is right? Are they both right? Let me know what you all think.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:42 AM
budkeywest

Default Great Plane

Howdy,

One of the guys at our local field bought one of these beutiful planes and had his maiden flight last weekend. Not only does it look GREAT! but it fly like a dream! I think you will fall in love with it! I had the opportunity to pick it up and could not believe how light it was...I thought it was very heavy.

I think the only thing that happened on the maiden other than a brilliant flight was the landing gear bent out a bit....nothing a little reinforcement wont handle.

I hope he is out tomorrow...I love that plane!!!!

Bud
Old 06-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I would go with the 30A esc. You never want to push the esc too hard. I was running an E-Flite Park 480 on a 12x6, 11x7, 10x7. I can not remember my A on each prop, but I did settle on the 11x7. I also ran a Phoenix 35A in it. For some reason, I want to say I was pulling around 20-25A on the 10x7 and 11x7 props.

As for you setup, it loosk fine. Do you already have your TX? If not, I would look into the DX6i instead of the DX6.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Mr.Clean

Liquidity,
Thanks for your reply. I have had the DX6 for 2 years now. As much as I would like to goto the 6i, I just can't justify spending the money. I am not sure what amp ESC to use. I am tempted to use the 20 just because I have it. I know I should go higher.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

You could use the 20amp - just prop for under 20 amps.

The plane really does need about 180w to fly well so you will be right at 18-19 amps.

Mike
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Mr.Clean

I was online looking at different ESC's last night. What I found was amazing. 25 to 30 amp ESC's for anywhere from $15.00 to 65.00. The only major difference was the programability options. It makes you wonder if there is a big difference between ESC's or if you are just paying for the name.

The only ESC I ever blew was a GWS 15 amp I had in a Super Cub and it was my fault it blew. I forgot to change my model selection on my DX6 from my Focke Wulf to my Super Cub so the throws were not enough to get the plane off of the ground. I ran out of runway and hit the long grass at full throttle. The plane pitched forward hard and the prop hit the ground. The ESC blew almost immediatly. No biggie, my fault. The only disturbing thing was that when the ESC blew the throttle remained full open and the plane kept spinning in the grass until I was able to get to it and pulll the battery.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr.Clean View Post
I was online looking at different ESC's last night. What I found was amazing. 25 to 30 amp ESC's for anywhere from $15.00 to 65.00. The only major difference was the programability options. It makes you wonder if there is a big difference between ESC's or if you are just paying for the name.
IMHO - you get what you pay for ABSOLUTELY applies to ESCs. I have cheapies. They typically have poor throttle steps (i.e. on or off!) and they often have low voltage cutoffs that are too low. BEC's tend to be under performing as well.

On stuff I care about - Castles and Jetis are what I use. You might also be surprised by the overall power performance as well. I have cheap ESC's that are not as efficient and they are unable to supply the "power" to the motors that higher quality ones do - with a difference in amp draw.

That said - I do use some off brand ones cheap ones in planes I don't care much about!

Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Mr.Clean

Thanks for your reply Mike. It seems that alot of this hobby can be misleading. I have had as much good as I have had bad advice. Many LHS in my area are more concerned with making a sale than supplying the hobbiest with what they need. One guy even told me that Brushed ESC's no longer exist and I need to start changing all of my stuff over to brushless. Same guy told me that Cox is out of business but he had a new great line of micro flyer Warbirds that I might like. I don't go there any more.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 AM
MisterNoob

Originally Posted by Mr.Clean View Post
Thanks for your reply Mike. It seems that alot of this hobby can be misleading. I have had as much good as I have had bad advice. Many LHS in my area are more concerned with making a sale than supplying the hobbiest with what they need. One guy even told me that Brushed ESC's no longer exist and I need to start changing all of my stuff over to brushless. Same guy told me that Cox is out of business but he had a new great line of micro flyer Warbirds that I might like. I don't go there any more.
Ouch, what LHS is this? I should avoid it also.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
beavenx5

Default T-Craft with floats

I also ordered an E-Flite Taylorcraft 2 weeks ago. As it is on backorder, I expect getting it in 2-3 weeks only . In the meantime, I ordered the following power system for it:
Turnigy 35-36C motor (up to 350 watts)
Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
12X6E APC prop
This power system cost only $50 at HobbyCity. I know the Turnigy 35-36C motor is seriously overpowered but I wanted to be sure to have enough power as I will be using it as a floatplane.

I ordered some 24" foam floats from seaplanesupply.com. Mark there is a great guy with good advice. He helped me choose the right floats and even gave me reference to a guy here (Charley) that uses them on his Taylorcraft. here is the link :http://seaplanesupply.com/floats.htm

And here is some pictures of Charley's plane with the 24" floats.

Can't wait to get the Taylorcraft now...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35966.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	71423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34033.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	71424