General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Receiver Antenna Setup - Does it Matter?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 AM
AmsterDan

Default Receiver Antenna Setup - Does it Matter?

Hey,

I just completed my very first rebuild, that of the CP Pro. Along this process came a question I'd like to ask you. The antenna setup, I started to wonder what a best setup would be regarding reception.

The way it came in the box, the antenna was 'spooled' in between the two 'sticks' of the skid gear. An acquaintance of mine has it sort of zig-zagged in between the sticks of a skid. I was wondering whether the setup matters.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Old 10-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I don't think it really matters whether it is zig-zag or neatly parallel. What matters is that it should not cross over itself or overlap itself. That effectively shortens the antenna.

Also, I don't think I would allow the antenna to be on the bottom of the landing skids. Helicopters have a distinct possibility of hard landings, sometimes while sliding. This could damage the antenna or even cut it without you knowing. Then you really have a problem, if the cut is close to the receiver.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
AmsterDan

I see.
The funny thing is, coming from out of the box, it's a parallel of which they sort of made a half knot at the front part of the gear and the back to keep the spool of antenna together. Is that alright to do then?

Now I am just wanting to do it as good as possible without any misunderstandings haha.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

It may not make any difference, but I don't think I would tie a knot in my antenna wire, except at the very end, in order to attach it to something. Even then, I would try to avoid a knot.