Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Motor setup on House of Balsa Decathlon

Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 AM
kargo

Default HOB Decathlon build

Hey gang, been a bit. I've been waiting on parts, and then discovering I have to wait on more parts/money/time/etc. Project is starting to drag a bit, but that goes with the territory...

I used the technique you showed in your pictures with making and installing the triangle stock on the firewall/fuse sides. It worked great, much more strength in the model. Soon as I sort out some tech. issues with my motor I'll get it mounted. I ordered mounting hardware (nylon spacers, machine screws, and nylon lock nuts) through fastenal.com. Lots of stuff available.

Thanks for the link Ron, good stuff. We (my son and I) were really pleased with our ultracoat covering job on our Kadet LT-40. I'm actually kinda looking forward to covering the decathlon. I'll use coverlite material on the HOB decathlon, and I'll stick the iron on pieces together as you mentioned Ron. I've seen multiple articles about using that technique.

So here is my question; is the weight of paint (lustercoat, etc.)much greater than that of the coverlite? I know I have to ruff the surface of the covering to make it stick well... Making that starburst pattern in covering material is a very daunting task. The main problem is that its a white star and red wing material, with the red material underneath making my white not so white. I've thought cuttingout the starburst pattern in the red wing covering and putting a block of white covering underneith it... and most but probably not all the potential pitfalls with that route. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cody Travis maiden flight.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	74928  
Old 08-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Color Scheme?

Hi Kargo,
Nice covering job! If you're able to do that well, you should be able to tackle a more involved color scheme. It's not harder, just takes longer.
I don't know if you've looked into the various types of iron-on's, but there are two main types of "Lite" coverings;
Coverlite, Litespan. These are basically the same product. It is a thin poly film with a "weave" or grain-like pattern, semi-gloss on one side, matte on the other. Either side can be used as the "outside". It does not have a built-in adhesive, it's applied by using a separate brush-on adhesive, either Balsa-Loc or Stix-It. The adhesive is brushed onto the framework, allowed to set up a few minutes, then the covering is "ironed" on, the heat from the iron activates the adhesive. Overlaps and joints (and additional trim) require another coat of adhesive. This covering can be used "as is", clear doped or color painted. Weight (unpainted, no adhesive) 2.7-2.8 grams per square foot.
http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq1800.html
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/litespan.htm
SoLite, MicroLite, Nelson Litefilm. Again, same product, different names. A very thin poly iron-on that has a heat-activated adhesive bonded to the back side. No separate adhesive required. Goes on the same way as MonoKote, UltraCote, but requires a lower iron temperature. I've never tried to paint this film, it is very shiney and slick. Weight 1.9 grams per square foot.
http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/
Here's a list of covering weights;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10443
As far as the "Sunburst" scheme, I can suggest a couple of ideas, but you may have to give up on red as the base color. I don't know of any covering, except possibly the very thickest and heaviest ones, that will cover red with white.
So, how about this; Cover most of the wing, from the spar back, with white. Cover the leading edge back to the spar, the tips and the center-section (out a couple rib bays) with red. Just overlap about 1/4", don't double-cover anything. Now add a couple of red wedge-shaped (or, long triangles) angling out and back, like the sketch on the bottom left, here;
http://www.rareaircraft.com/ac/pg_superdecathalon.html
Or, try the glass/splicing method from RCG. I haven't tried it, but apparently others have sucess with it.
You may have to forgo the stars, save them for another project. The only way they could cover the red is if you use the press-apply (trim sheets) film, and that stuff is HEAVY!
I realize it's not all you wanted for a color scheme, but if you weigh the model down with too much color trim, it may not fly well. Life is full of trade-offs!
Good Luck,
Ron
Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 AM
kargo

Default HOB Decathlon Build

Tradeoffs, how true. I do like the triangle scheme you suggest, and the white base and red burst pattern shown on the decathlon in the picture at the top of the page. The triangle scheme still looks very aerobatic, and would probably work well with the glass splicing technique... I'll probably try solite, microlite or nelson films covering. Maybe I'll have to experiment with some ultracoat scraps I have left over... No guts, no glory. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 AM
kargo

Default HOB Decathlon build and motor setup

Hey Ron,

Where can I buy So-lite?

I tried cutting some ultracote on glass with windex paper backing down (technique I found on the link you posted). It worked very well. I used the plastic templates I made from the pattern on the plans as a guide, and a new razor blade. As you can tell by by the photos, I got a little hasty with one of the stars, but beyond that the cuts were very straight, and the pattern came out very well. Brucea made a great tutorial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	camera 147.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	75320   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera 148.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	75321   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera 149.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	75322   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_8271.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	75323  
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Covering Job

Hello Kargo,
Wow, those sunburst + stars look great! Do you plan on making those out of red, over white? Should come out sharp-looking! If you're feeling really ambitious, maybe black or blue pinstripes?
My favorite kit-maker, Mountain Models, sell SoLite;
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=315
As well as Radical R/C;
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=22
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 AM
kargo

Default HOB Decathlon build and motor setup

Thanks for the info Ron, I might try those pinstripes on another one, a BIPE maybe? humm, a sig hogbipe with pinstripes... on floats... you see Ron, this is how I get into such trouble, thanks for the encouragement