Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Motor setup

Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Default Motor setup

On foamy planes what is the best starting point as far as motor angle to account for thrust?

I read some setups have about 2 or 3 degrees right thrust. Does that sound close? Also what about downward angle to keep it from heading into space when you speed up?

I have one foamy that I put about 5-10 degrees down on the motor (i am guessing the angle but it is a very noticable angle) And when I fly level and straight, then go inverted it tends to gain altitude with no throttle change and also tends to go into a slight turn while inverted. It other wise seems to be balanced latteraly very well, I do have it slightly tail heavy. I wasn't sure if it was a motor angle issue or if that is normal when you have it somewhat tail heavy. Trying to make it so that I am not fighting it so much when inverting or trying to hover.

My Funtana 50 nitro plane has huge angles on the firewall to account for thrust, and I still use dualrates to take off to keep it from running off the runway, but I wasn't sure if the foam planes need simmilar set up on a smaller scale??
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
eflight-ray

Trouble with trust angles is they need tuning to suit the model, just as the CG should be adjusted to suit the flight requirement.

Usually a lifting section wing will need more down thrust than a symmetrical section, (in fact a symmetrical section shouldn't need any if the decalage is zero).

Right side thrust again depends to some degree on the prop, a large diameter high torque prop will probably need more.

The thing is you have to make a 'guesstimation' of the amount you need for each individual plane and power set up.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

I see that makes sense. I went and checked the funtana 50 that I have and your correct although it appeared to have donward angle it doesn't and it is a full symetrical wing design. It has about 8 degrees right angle looking forward from the back of the plane. It is set up for 3D type flying with large prop and small pitch.

So back to the foam type plane with no airfoil, I will go back to a neutral vertical position of the motor in relation to the wing surface and try about 3-4 degree right thrust and adjust from there. Thanks for the information

I glued some small side force generators on the wings the other day and it is the first time that i have been able to hold an rc plane in a knife edge position for any length of time. I am pretty excited about that now, being able to do a new trick I didn't realize what a difference that they would make.