Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-04-2017, 03:28 AM   #1
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (2)
Default Scary flight

That was totally scary.. My first out of sight mission.
I just sent my quad on a mission to the neighbours and back.
Now until you have done it you don't realize how bl**dy scary it is. Hoping all the time you got the waypoint settings correct
and then seeing it take off all by itself and head bush..
I had 7 waypoints in the mission and had it pause at a couple of them so I could see that it was behaving OK.
I sent it out to the road and then down the road to Tonys (neighbour) place, then over his house and then return up the road, divert into my paddock and land by itself.
It went without a hitch but my heart was racing when that quad disappeared out of my sight... LOL I ran out to the road and was relieved to see it coming back up the road and turning into my place. I must say I am enjoying having the pants scared off me....

Now before any mr do-gooder makes a comment, I live on 40 acres in the country and I can fly where I like.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (5)

Y'know, it's funny but there was a thread in one of these forum groups a couple of years back where the OP asked what the future of RC was. My reply was that we would no longer require transmitters, instead the "pilot" (and I use the term very loosely) would just program the flight path into the plane's on-board computer and it would do everything all by itself.

They thought I was crazy....

OK, I got my "drone licence"...
When does the season start and what Ammo can I use?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
formontoya

Friends: (0)

Yea, I have a quad as well that I run "missions" on and get 1/2 mile away on my farthest runs. It's nice to get out farther and then pan/tilt the camera for some good shots, but I don't really consider it flying. I have more fun with my planes, buggies and boats than I do running "missions" on the quad. Go throw on a FPV rig on one of the planes and it's extremely fun...the buggy, well, not so much. The perspective is just so low that I end up getting lost after I get 20ft away...not even thrown a camera setup on a boat yet but suspect the same results as the buggy.

But that quad coupled with a nice gimbal can take some of the best pictures and videos...absolutely rock solid in 15mph winds.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Old 12-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

I have FPV gear (Goggles etc) and I have a Runcam Eagle on the quad. My new 3 x axis Gimbal arrives tomorrow. I wiped out the last 2 x 2 axis ones. Hopefully I will get some nice shots 1080P shots/videos.
But, what I want to do is enjoy the FPV flight with the goggles but let the quad fly itself while I just watch.
I never had any luck with FPV on a quad. Like you I would poo myself after about 20 meters and rip the giggles off. LOL
Doing it this way I get the best of both worlds. I also have one of those Android phone receivers coming shortly so I and others can watch on my phone or laptop. I will let you know how that goes...

Flywheel, we are only on the cusp of technology. It is an amazing ride and I am quite happy to go along with it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (5)

Panther...we are always on the cusp of technology! LOL

OK, I got my "drone licence"...
When does the season start and what Ammo can I use?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Softy4787

Friends: (0)
Default Great.

Hi Mate.

Good to read that post. I am just starting.

I think you have your heart in it. Great.

Gives me power.

Regards.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by Softy4787 View Post
Hi Mate.

Good to read that post. I am just starting.

I think you have your heart in it. Great.

Gives me power.

Regards.
Hi Softy

My old buddy is trying hard to catch up to me but insists on using F3 s' and iNav. I wasted so much time with that and only had success when I moved on to Pixhawk Type FCs.
He was here yesterday trying to get a Paris Sirius Air FC going. Why he persists when he sees how much fun I am having I will never know.
He had an early Ardu board that he never got working and I got it going for him with RTH and he still persists with those other things. Should I say.. He has had many flights, none successful and spends all his time repairing his planes/quads. Trouble is because he is older, I have to help him with a lot of repairs when I could be building my own stuff.

I don't have enough room to fly large planes at home but I can fly this anytime, anywhere.
Good luck with your quest for fun...
Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
jeholliday

Friends: (1)

This technology is great is it is not abused. But, don't be surprised if all of a sudden your quad suddenly was destroyed while flying over some ones property, especially summer time with back yard sun bathers.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
This technology is great is it is not abused. But, don't be surprised if all of a sudden your quad suddenly was destroyed while flying over some ones property, especially summer time with back yard sun bathers.
You are assuming I live in a built up area and that I am a chook?
I live in the country and have my own 40 acres to fly on and respect folks privacy . (if there were any close by)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
jeholliday

I respect you for that. But, I have a city government employee using a quad to spy on the neighborhood. Since I have talked to someone who knows him, I asked if he had registered with the FAA and if he knew about the AMA. Also told him to relate that if I caught him there might be one less quad flying. Thanks for replying and some times I wish I had 40 acres of land.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

As a matter of interest, some of my neighbours fly quads as well. (Homebuilt and Mavic)

I did read recently in these forums that it is an offence to shoot down a Quad. There is a good story about someone who did. Luckily the quad HAD taken his photo and it was used as evidence.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:38 AM   #12
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
You are assuming I live in a built up area and that I am a chook?
I live in the country and have my own 40 acres to fly on and respect folks privacy . (if there were any close by)
Personally I really do not care what you do down under in OZ, but you need to keep your story straight. You said and I quote directly:

I sent it out to the road and then down the road to Tonys (neighbour) place, then over his house
Perhaps in OZ you cannot be shot down legally, but here in the USA it is illegal to do what you did and the property owner has every right to shoot you down, and a good chance you would be prosecuted in Federal court if authorities were alerted.
In the USA it is irresponsible QUAD owners that threatens our hobby and there is talk of taking our privilege away.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Personally I really do not care what you do down under in OZ, but you need to keep your story straight. You said and I quote directly:

Perhaps in OZ you cannot be shot down legally, but here in the USA it is illegal to do what you did and the property owner has every right to shoot you down, and a good chance you would be prosecuted in Federal court if authorities were alerted.
In the USA it is irresponsible QUAD owners that threatens our hobby and there is talk of taking our privilege away.

Sweeping generalities and vague personal opinions are at it again.......

It is a fact that here in the good old U.S.of A., that as many as 2/3'rds of the States here do not permit the discharge of firearms on ones personal/private property or within public right-of-way.........and the penalties range from a misdemeanor to a felony. The exceptions range from State to State where "wide open private property space" within very rural "out-back" environments do exist.......however, that is just one exception rather than the rule. Most states have adopted a stringent permit process that grants exception, like in Texas, Arizona, Wyoming, Dakota's, Iowa, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, New Mexico and a few very southern states.

For the most part, the commission (use of) a firearm for less than personal defense, hunting and regulated sport (unless of course if one is a licensed professional in law enforcement), like just waving around or carrying a firearm on ones personal property, may be cause for alarm by unsuspecting "neighbors" and dispatch a visit by ones local authorities. Regardless where you live here......!

It's a shame there are so few (here and everywhere) who really understand their local gun laws. The days when one could simply purchase just a plinker and go out in their back nine acres and shoot up beer bottles and cans...... have shrunk and nearly over (with a very few exceptions).......!.......Have been for some time now.

Don't take my word for it......do some research, talk to your local law enforcers, take a local gun safety course. Just simply shooting down an invading UAV over ones property because you think you can, will more than likely cause one more grief, loss of income (and possibly the firearm) and time in court than the guy who owned the UAV, to begin with.......not to mention the time you will now forever spend wondering what you did wrong and why you ended up being the bad guy.......for what really could constitute and be perceived by law enforcement and the court, as a reckless and pairanoid behavior.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Yes Derek, true because Tony and I are friends and we had discussed it beforehand. So my story is straight. It just doesn't have all the details that maybe you would have liked. But that is me, I don't tell everyone my life business.
Assumptions are dangerous mate. No need to be a nit picker....
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #15
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Sweeping generalities and vague personal opinions are at it again.......
Considering the source, who cares what you think.

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
It is a fact that here in the good old U.S.of A., that as many as 2/3'rds of the States here do not permit the discharge of firearms on ones personal/private property or within public right-of-way........
Come to Texas lefty and fly your drone over my house and see what happens. Not only do I have a CC Permit but also automatic weapons and a real nice 12 Ga to shoot you down with.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Yes Derek, true because Tony and I are friends and we had discussed it beforehand. So my story is straight. It just doesn't have all the details that maybe you would have liked. But that is me, I don't tell everyone my life business.
Assumptions are dangerous mate. No need to be a nit picker....
Tony I do not care what you do in OZ. My point is, because of any fool can buy a drone and fly it here is threatening our hobby. It is not AMA members for the most part, but idiots who have never flown or care about regulations/rules. . Considering a Drone can be easily made into a guided missiles dirt cheap is catching a lot of attention, and the idiots are not helping.

So don't take offense, I meant none to you.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #17
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Who is Tony?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Considering the source, who cares what you think.

Come to Texas lefty and fly your drone over my house and see what happens. Not only do I have a CC Permit but also automatic weapons and a real nice 12 Ga to shoot you down with.
LOL....Thanks for the info.
I have relatives (wife's side) in San Antonio, one of which is an ATF investigator. The other, retired BNSF railway security.....the wife comes from a long line of law enforcement heritage in Texas, California, Utah and Alabama.

As for your "CC" permit......In Texas it is properly referred to as a CHL, not a permit and does not give you carte blanche to carry any damn place or time you feel free. In fact if one is requested by a neighbor, to not carry on their property, you either leave the weapon behind or leave the premises (or pay the price)......lol

You might also read the attached link.....:

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2016...on-law-claims/

Since I operate commercially licensed UAV's, there would be little cause for me to feel compelled or otherwise need to fly over your property unless I was under contract in an official capacity to perform such. If that were the case, pretty sure my attorneys would have a "field day" processing our complaint..........lol

Just like your lack of knowledge related to cell phone tracking and frequency monitoring capabilities, you've gone off "half-cocked" again......no doubt your "aim" suffers from the same dilemma......
Old 04-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #19
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Y'know, it's funny but there was a thread in one of these forum groups a couple of years back where the OP asked what the future of RC was. My reply was that we would no longer require transmitters, instead the "pilot" (and I use the term very loosely) would just program the flight path into the plane's on-board computer and it would do everything all by itself.

They thought I was crazy....
Not so crazy now....
I was setting up a new mission today on my quadcopter with my Laptop. Took it out of my toyshop into the paddock and told it to fly the mission I had just programmed in to it.
HORROR!! I just realized I hadn't even turned on my Transmitter and here it was flying away on a mission!
OK, so it doesn't need a transmitter for a mission but I had never been game to try it intentionally. LOL
Anyway it came back about 6 minutes later and landed and turned itself off all without my help.
I guess it saves TX batteries
Old 06-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Well, I have learned a lot and getting quite confident with my missions now. I have another Quad as well that is also PX4 equipped and my flying buddy also has 2 x PX4 equipped Quads so it has become my task to guide him along now. He flew his first auto flight today and it went without a hitch.
Here is the tailend of one of my flights. Just thought it was nice with the moon in the background.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
jeholliday

We have some one flying a quad over our local race track once in a while. Have not found where the operator is located. I was of the thought that any radio controlled aircraft was limited where they fly.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #22
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
We have some one flying a quad over our local race track once in a while. Have not found where the operator is located. I was of the thought that any radio controlled aircraft was limited where they fly.
Morally and legally, yes, but there are those that live in their own worlds unfortunately.
He/she will get caught out.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #23
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10

I have my other Dart 450 finished and have sent it on 7 missions so far today extending the range each time but nothing extraordinary.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1 and D2.JPG (1.53 MB, 3 views)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV