Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Is It Possible to make two 1S Lipo Packs from a 2S Lipo Pack?

Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Sam_K

Default Is It Possible to make two 1S Lipo Packs from a 2S Lipo Pack?

Hi All,

Not sure if this should be in the beginners forum, battery forum or Micro RC forum as it is a noob question regarding replacement batteries for the Silverlit X-Twin toy RC Biplane (Air Hogs Aero Ace in the US).

Long story short, I wrecked the battery in my X-Twin and have been unable to find anywhere to buy a similar battery in Australia for replacement and shipping from overseas suppliers makes it too expensive to be worth it for a cheap toy.

So my question is, can I open up a 2S LiPo pack, separate the 2 cells and use them individually as 1S cells?

If so, how do you rate the difficulty of doing this?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Yes it's possible. But it may not be easy. It depends on exactly what 2S pack you can get. Some packs are stuck together so firmly you could split the cells when you try to separate them, some cells are really difficult to attach the wires to etc.

I've never actually seen a 2S pack small enough for an X-Twin. Are you sure they'll be any easier to find than the individual cells ?

Steve
Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 AM
falingtrea

A lot of cell phone batteries are LiPo 1S units. Maybe one of those could work. And be easier to mode than a 2S pack.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM
BcBasher

X-twin is the same as an aero ace right? Those cells are only about 5g I tried making a 1s2p with the batts from 2 planes and it was too heavy.The plane will was designed for the weight it has to carry and will not handle much if any more. I've tries cell phone batteries in a larger plane using AA electronincs and that didn't work either. Your best bet is to get another plane and save that one for parts.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Sam_K

Yeah it is the same as an aero ace.

I do actually have a spare mobile phone battery but I suspected, and BcBasher pretty much confirmed, that it would be way too heavy.

Slipstick is right though, after further research I can't actually find a 2S Lipo that is small enough that it would be roughly the right capacity/weight when cut in half anyway.

Every way I turn to try to replace that battery I meet with dead ends.. oh well..
Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Sam_K View Post
Every way I turn to try to replace that battery I meet with dead ends.. oh well..
If you aren't willing to pay the shipping to have something sent from where it's available to where you need it then you are indeed stuck. We all meet that problem with some things.

BTW have you actually checked how much the shipping would be from e.g. indoorflyer.co.uk ? The cell itself is very lightweight so I'd be surprised if it costs a huge amount to post.

Steve
Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
BcBasher

If you can get a new plane it'd probably be cheaper in the long run, save the one you got now for parts. If you get a lot of hours on them the motors or board will die and as long as it isn't the batt next time you got it covered.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Default micro Flyer?

I found Hobby People lists the single cell lipo as about $14.......not sure on weight but it is a tiny thing!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_996689161.asp

Could work??

good luck!
Ray