3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Parkzone typhoon 2 3d

Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM
rudderfeet

Thanks! I'm being positive about the experience - it's all good fun. I bought the Typhoon to be something I could stretch out on before flying maneuvers on my more expensive and harder to fix balsa Mini Pulse XT. I also wanted it to be able to fly in tight spaces like at the ball park nearby. As a result I've been flying trying things beyond my abilities and close to the ground, so crashes are inevitable!

On low rates, it's a great plane and very predictable. It will get very nice and slow and alternatively will climb forever when you crank up the throttle. You're going to really enjoy yours!

I think the servo whine is OK from what I've read. Doesn't seem to affect anything.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Kerbob

Talking

I should put together a crash montage. I usually take photos of my wrecks but most are on my iphone. I find that the phoon can carry a lot of epoxy on it before you need to replace parts. By the way.. you'll notice in one of the photos below that I reinforced the elevator.. this is highly recommended. It will rip.. it will.. mine has done so several times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 118.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	96980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wreck 010.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	96981  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 AM
rudderfeet

Those shots are awesome! I'll do the same with my iPhone from now on!

It's great to see that so many parts are available for outright replacement when needed, and they're not very expensive really.

BTW I like your idea about putting a rubber band around the landing for safety. I couldn't see the reinforcement your describe though?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Kerbob

Rubber band is there to hold the canopy down. One of the first things I lost was the canopy pin. The rubber band doesn't look good but its so much faster than the pin. Others have used those tiny rare earth magnets with success.

On my elevator, you should see two metal strips compared to your one. In addition, there is epoxy there where I had to glue the two halves together again before I put the second metal strip on. Others have used a carbon fiber tube a dug a trench for it.

There are two schools of thought on the SFG's. After flying my Typhoon almost a year without them I can tell you that I'm definitely a huge fan of the SFG's. I have much more control of the plane. It is much more stable.

I highly recommend a radio with Expo. Flying with the stock makes it too twitchy. I flew it that way for a couple of months and a radio with exponential programming made a world of difference in my control.

Also, I recommend swapping out the foam little tail wheel for a real dubro tail wheel. It costs just over a buck and makes the control and the roll much better.

The other HIGHLY recommended mod is the outrunner E-Flite Park 480 1020kv. You see my mod for that earlier in this thread. Makes the phoon fly like butter.

Finally, the last mod is that I cut the velcro straps that hold the battery to a manageable size. Makes it much easier to slide the batteries in/out.

Thats about it..
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Fatcat1

Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
I should put together a crash montage. I usually take photos of my wrecks but most are on my iphone. I find that the phoon can carry a lot of epoxy on it before you need to replace parts. By the way.. you'll notice in one of the photos below that I reinforced the elevator.. this is highly recommended. It will rip.. it will.. mine has done so several times.
Can you explain or show photos of the reinforced elevator please? I don't want a mid-air disaster!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Fatcat1

Well I maidened the phoon and it resulted in the nose being removed from her. I had 2 successful flights and then on the the third flight I performed a simple snap roll and the brought the bird higher in the air and started to perform a simple loop and that's when disaster struck. the receiver went kaput on me lost ALL stick control and she went nose first into the earth. So I am now holding with Horizon to see if they can get me a replacement Rx (hopefully). They have already sent me another aileron servo since the one they sent me the control horn screw was install at an angle and the hole was stripped out so that one was useless!! Anyway I hope to get this right and get her in the air without problem soon!! And if they don't help me out with it it will be the last item I buy from Horizon!! (Not mad...YET)
I almost forgot when I was setting up the bird I turned on the radio in the house and all the control surfaces would go haywire just moving very erratically up down left right you name it they would move. until I unplugged the battery. And then a few times during the set up everything was fine. So I chocked it up to interference. But after a good range test and all surfaces working properly. The above paragraph is the result!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Fatcat1

Well..I contacted Horizon and I get to send it back to them! Hopefully they will take care of the issues! with the plane.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
rudderfeet

Glad to hear they're having you send it back. I've heard great things about their customer service - guess this will be another good test!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Fatcat1

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
Glad to hear they're having you send it back. I've heard great things about their customer service - guess this will be another good test!
I have her boxed up in....believe it or not the original box! and will be sending it out tomorrow when I get off work. Yes this will be a good test I hope they make it right which I have every belief they will! When I called about the bad servo in the wing they didn't even ask questions they just sent me a new one! I only live 120 miles from them so the items usually ship overnight to my house (even with the standard ground)
standing by!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Kerbob

Fatcat1,
Did you have your radio on when you plugged in the battery inside the house? If you plug in the lipo in the plane without turning on the radio, the control surfaces and motor will all 'glitch' which is why you always want to turn on the radio first. If its glitching with the radio on, then that is a problem.
I've had two Typhoon 2 3D's and no problems other than standard wear and tear. Hopefully, your's will be solid when you get it back.

Rudderfeet,
I told you wrong. The two spars on the bottom of the elevator are there from OEM. I added an additional spar to the top of the elevator. Pretty much inline with the one on the bottom. I'll post a video soon. Until then.. here are some more carnage from my frankenphoon or phoonkenstein.

Name:	IPHONE 033 (Large).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	97192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPHONE 167 (Large).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	97193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPHONE 285 (Large).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	97194  
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
rudderfeet

Gory carnage! It is great to know that these things can take quite a bit of abuse and repair to get flying again. A balsa-ribbed plane isn't quite so forgiving.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Fatcat1

Fatcat1,
Did you have your radio on when you plugged in the battery inside the house? If you plug in the lipo in the plane without turning on the radio, the control surfaces and motor will all 'glitch' which is why you always want to turn on the radio first. If its glitching with the radio on, then that is a problem.
I've had two Typhoon 2 3D's and no problems other than standard wear and tear. Hopefully, your's will be solid when you get it back.

Rudderfeet,
I told you wrong. The two spars on the bottom of the elevator are there from OEM. I added an additional spar to the top of the elevator. Pretty much inline with the one on the bottom. I'll post a video soon. Until then.. here are some more carnage from my frankenphoon or phoonkenstein.
Kebob,
Yes radio was always on before the battery was plugged in. it would do its start up cycle then all hell would break loose!
It didn't do it every time but more often than not.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Kerbob

I just posted a video at vimeo.. Here's the link:

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/3839097[/media]

Actually, I don't wreck that often.. I just fly alot and like to do stupid stuff periodically. A plane like this lets you feel comortable about trying stupid stuff.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
ETOWNE
AMA 756039

I know I'mcutting in here but, Parkzone has been very good with taking care of customer issues. I had a Slo-V receiver take a crap out of the box. I called them and within a day (100 miles) I had the replacement. 2 of my buddies had bad batts out of the box, both of them said it was hassle frre getting replacements.
As far as the Typhoon goes, Epoxy , packaging tape, spare cowl, and a gear box is all the parts you need to fix them. One friend lost his in a 40+ mph wind day 2 months ago, just put the outrunner on it. Last week he called me and said he had found it about a half mile away laying in the woods by his house. A half hour later he called again." dude, you aren't going to believe this! I put a pack in it and it still flies great!" I get over there, the landing gear and control arms were a little rusty but, it flew. I don't know what more you could ask for,200 RTF, 3D's pretty well, and is lawn dart resistant. A+ to Parkzone for this one.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
rudderfeet

Seems to be some great common threads developing here:

The phoon is a great deal, makes you want to get jiggy wit it, and repairs real easy to fly again. Iz all good!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Fatcat1

I dropped mine off at the FedEx station this morning. They should have it back to them tomorrow. We will see what becomes of it. The good thing is they are calling for rain the next few days here in central Indiana so I am not really losing any flight time. I am remaining positive about it though. I was ready to glue and go but the more I thought about it, it just didn't add up the way it behaved! The first two flight were very fun though.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Fatcat1

Etowne this is the Phoon thread your not cutting in its good to have positive attitudes about this stuff. Because all too often people buy these things and rush to find all the knit picky faults of them and forget they are supposed to be a fun toy/hobby.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 AM
ETOWNE
AMA 756039

Originally Posted by Fatcat1 View Post
Etowne this is the Phoon thread your not cutting in its good to have positive attitudes about this stuff. Because all too often people buy these things and rush to find all the knit picky faults of them and forget they are supposed to be a fun toy/hobby.
That's why I quit racing land vehicles. too many people took it like it was real. I've enjoyed the 6 months, w/ snowy winter in the way, way more than anything rc I 've done, Boats are cool though, can't rule that out.If anyone can rip on this plane, I mean it's $200 at any good LHS, they're in the wrong hobby. Ya, you might have got a friday, 5 o'clock part or a UPS man hates his job plane. It happens. This plane is a steal for the money! We have beat the snot out of ours. 10' off the ground inverted flat spins, your not always going to make it out unscathed. Almost all botched landings we can pick the plane up and throw it back in the air.

Louis, the only thing we found was to move the linkages in on the surfaces if your using the stock controller. 2 of my buddies did this until the had expo on thier radios and could hover. Makes it alot less reactive. Parts. spare gear box and cowl. Everything else gets epoxy or packaging tape.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 AM
rudderfeet

<Chuckle> I just realized you have a Park 480 in your Phoonkenstein, Kerbob. Wow, that's a lot of motor for a foamy! Did you upgrade the ESC as well?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Kerbob

The Park 480 fits perfectly under the cowl. I'm using the OEM 25amp E-Flight ESC but I know I'm going over 37amps at WOT with the 480. Still, I've had ~100 flights in this config. I only fly WOT and short bursts and am almost always less than 50% throttle; don't need more with the 480.

IMHO, if you just bought this plane, use it with the OEM motor until it dies out (~100 flights depending on how you fly) and then make the outrunner conversion. You may end up spending ~$50 on gearboxes in the mean time; they last 5-15 flights but are only about $7/ea. Then, get yourself a Park 480. Makes the Typhoon so light, agile, punchy, etc.. you'll love it.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
rudderfeet

The Park 480 fits perfectly under the cowl. I'm using the OEM 25amp E-Flight ESC but I know I'm going over 37amps at WOT with the 480. Still, I've had ~100 flights in this config. I only fly WOT and short bursts and am almost always less than 50% throttle; don't need more with the 480.

IMHO, if you just bought this plane, use it with the OEM motor until it dies out (~100 flights depending on how you fly) and then make the outrunner conversion. You may end up spending ~$50 on gearboxes in the mean time; they last 5-15 flights but are only about $7/ea. Then, get yourself a Park 480. Makes the Typhoon so light, agile, punchy, etc.. you'll love it.
Great suggestions, thanks. The latest Typhoons (or at least the one I bought 2 weeks ago) are including a 30A ESC that might hold up fine, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 480 outrunner. Prop choice might make the difference as well.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Fatcat1

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
Great suggestions, thanks. The latest Typhoons (or at least the one I bought 2 weeks ago) are including a 30A ESC that might hold up fine, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 480 outrunner. Prop choice might make the difference as well.
Thats the same ESC mine has it should be fine with the Park 480.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Kerbob

If you move the linkages in on the servos, it gets more mellow.
If you move the linkages in on the cotrol horns, it gets wilder.

My ailerons are in the last hole on the servos and one in on the control horns which results in further aileron throws. I did this with the elevator and rudder also and was a novelty for a while. With high expo, it was pretty fun. But the rudder and elevator are now back in their OEM positions. However, the ailerons having a bigger throw definitely makes it more fun.

Name:	Mod 076 (Large).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	97287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod 077 (Large).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	97288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod 078 (Large).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	97289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod 079 (Large).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	97290  

Quick Reply: Parkzone typhoon 2 3d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10512 seconds with 22 queries