Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

"Wicked Witch of the West" plane - FREE plans

Old 09-23-2007, 12:30 AM
magic612
Bernoulli + Newton = Lift

Default "Wicked Witch of the West" plane - FREE plans

Okay, so last year, I had this idea to build a Wicked Witch of the West plane. I designed it, built it (glide tested quite well), but didn't have brushless power then, and the GWS IPS motor I had on it wouldn't quite keep her in the air.

But now... (hehehehe....)

She flies!

There's a full plans sheet on an 8.5" x 11" page so you have all the dimensions you need to set her up properly. That same page also shows how each of the 8 tiled sheets should be taped together. Tiled plans are the full size templates for her.

I used 6mm Depron for the body, and 3mm Cellfoam for the "broom", but I'm quite sure that fan fold foam will be just fine too. Note in some of the pictures you can see that I did put two bamboo skewers from the outside edge of the witch's "hat" (upper wing) toward the midsection / fuse-spar of her "skirt" (lower wing). Without these, the "hat" tends to flop around rather wildly. I just used marker to make them black.

I cut out the "face" from paper and simply colored it green and glued it onto the foam. If you have Monokote trim that's green, so much the better, but colored paper would work too.

I wanted to use a Hextronic "Blue Wonder" 24 gram brushless, but unfortunately, my overseas order didn't show up today, so I said, "What the heck!" and used a TowerPro 2408-10 brushless, which tipped the scales at just over 2 ounces with a prop. I used an 11.1V, 800 mAh Lipo, though I'm sure she'd fly just fine with a 7.4V. She's not meant for blazing speed, though she will fly fast with the 3S Lipo.

Specifications as flown today:

AUW: 9.5 ounces
Motor: TowerPro 2408-10 brushless
Prop: GWS 8x4
Battery: 11.1V, 800 mAh Common Sense R/C Lipo
Servos: 9 grams per servo

Any questions, just ask! I think the pictures should pretty well explain how she goes together, but I'll be happy to help if anyone has any questions. Oh, and based on the wing area (exactly two square feet), I would say it's probably advisable to keep her under 10 ounces total - to keep the wing loading at 5 ounces per square foot.

Have fun!!!

(Note pictures are from when I still had the IPS brushed system on it. Be sure to use a more powerful motor than one of those, or she won't stay airborne!!!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WickedWitch45degabove.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	41982   Click image for larger version

Name:	WickedWitchbottomview.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	41983   Click image for larger version

Name:	WickedWitchsideview1.JPG
Views:	904
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	41984   Click image for larger version

Name:	WickedWitchsideview2.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	41985  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
wickedwitchplane full plans.pdf (18.3 KB, 728 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by magic612; 09-23-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:34 AM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

Thanks. I wanted to do something like this for October.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM
dotyj

That's fantastic. Now all we need are those really freakin' scary flying monkeys!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:31 PM
cassat

Default broom

Can you tell me what you used for the stick "brrom" ?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 PM
magic612

Originally Posted by cassat View Post
Can you tell me what you used for the stick "brrom" ?

Thanks
It's a 1/2" x 1/2" x 30" balsa stick. Check out the "full plans" - there's a little arrow pointing to the stick which details all the dimensional information such as the balsa stick, as well as how far back to put the "broom", how far back to glue the witch's "body" to the stick, etc.

Please feel free to ask any questions - I may have forgotten something, but I tried my best to make the plans complete.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 AM
magic612

Default Video #2

Here's a better video of the Witch plane - winds were a tad calmer today (though not by much), and I was feeling a little more brave above doing closer fly-bys, as well as lower altitude passes. Hope this helps more in getting a sense of how "she" flies...

Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Ralph V

Magic612

What are your control throws on the elevator (broom) ?
Does the lower wing have ailerons or elevons ?, and what
are the control throws on it ? The video looks pretty cool.
I think I'll build one this week, and try to test fly this weekend.
Do you have down thrust in the motor ? , and how much ?

Thanks
Ralph V
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 AM
magic612

Originally Posted by Ralph V View Post
Magic612

What are your control throws on the elevator (broom) ?
Does the lower wing have ailerons or elevons ?, and what
are the control throws on it ? The video looks pretty cool.
I think I'll build one this week, and try to test fly this weekend.
Do you have down thrust in the motor ? , and how much ?

Thanks
Ralph V
Hey Ralph -

Thanks for the questions! Control throw on the elevator is about as far as the elevator CAN move, given the angle in the rudder. I have mine set to throw just slightly less than that amount - I think it's about an inch or so of movement up and an inch down.

Lower wing is ailerons - control throws are about 3/4 of an inch up / down. Wouldn't hurt to set them for more, though. As I found in the wind I was flying in, the large "body" fuselage sometimes is less than willing to want to turn, so having some extra throw in the controls is useful. If your Tx has the capability, I'd set the throws to maybe even an inch or a bit more, and dial back the expo so that it isn't twitchy with small movements, but you can definitely bury the sticks left of right if needed when the wind is gusty.

I did put 3 degrees or so of down thrust on the motor. I have mine WAY overpowered at the moment using that TowerPro 2408 brushless (with an 11.1V pack, it'll pull 22 oz of thrust!!!), but I can say with authority that a GWS IPS drive will not keep her airborne, either. I'm waiting for a Hextronic "Blue Wonder" 1300 Kv brushless that weighs about 24 grams and will deliver 10 oz of thrust even with a 7.4V Lipo. Since the "Witch" weighs in around 9 ounces with the current motor, it would be only 8 ounces with the "Blue Wonder" motor, giving it a greater than 1:1 thrust ratio.

It does help to have the extra power, because with a healthy dose of thrust and full up elevator, she WILL pull a loop! Haven't tried to "roll" her yet, as I'm a little unsure the results would be anything less than disastrous...

Please share pics when you have her done!