Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Old Thunder Power Packs - What capacity?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
goofeyfoot

Default Old Thunder Power Packs - What capacity?

I have a couple old Thunderpower packs from around 2004. They don't seem to note the max current like the new ones do now.

One is a three cell 1300. The other is less MaH & I can't remember what that capacity is. But the second one has two cells and is around seven volts. The physical sizes of cells on the second one are about the same as on the 1300 battery.

Both of these batteries are the yellow/gold color.

The connectors are those red JST ones.

Does anyone know what the max draw on these batteries is/was?

Thanks.

Michael
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Twmaster

That vintage were 8-10C if my brain is remembering correctly.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

8-10C sounds about right - BUT - those JST conectors are only good for about 5-6 amps max before they start getting hot, so thats your upper limit.

Larry
Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
goofeyfoot

Getting hot? So if I did something that called for say, 12 amps I'd have to switch over to another plug, eh?

Would people pretty much use the Dean's Ultra, Deans polarized micro or what at that amperage?

And that whole discussion got me thinking about a battery I just bought. I could swear I just bought a three cell 1320 Thunderpower that came with a JST connector. Is that possible? Doesn't seem right that it would come with a JST connector, could it?

Which brings me to yet another question. IF I have to change the connector on the Thunderpower from JST to something else, is there a safe way to do that? Boy, it seems like working on those wires could short something real quick. And also, the gauge of the wire would still be the same so just changing connectors might not solve the problem(?)

I really am starting to get frustrated with all this new-age brushless/lipo stuff. Seems like in the old days it was easier to match stuff and not create so many technical problems.

Thanks again.

Michael

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 01-09-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Pipemajor

Originally Posted by goofeyfoot View Post
I really am starting to get frustrated with all this new-age brushless/lipo stuff. Seems like in the old days it was easier to match stuff and not create so many technical problems.

Thanks again.

Michael
Welcome to the world of technocrats. It used to be we could buy a BW TV, attach the rabbit ear antenna, plug it into the AC outlet and get your 3-4 broadcast stations until 11pm then they'd go off the air for the day.

You could also call the phone company who would lease you a rotary dial wired phone (forever) and install it for you. No decisions required.

Shoot, I can even remember the days we had to roll our car windows up and down using a crank.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by goofeyfoot View Post
Getting hot? So if I did something that called for say, 12 amps I'd have to switch over to another plug, eh?

I would for sure. JST's start getting warm around 5 amps continous - cheep ones even sooner. I think they should never have been put on any pack larger than 500 mahr, but I tend to be conservative when it comes to shorts and lipos

Would people pretty much use the Dean's Ultra, Deans polarized micro or what at that amperage?

Any of those would work fine. I personally prefer Anderson Power Poles on all my planes. They work from low to hi amp applications. I hate Deans

And that whole discussion got me thinking about a battery I just bought. I could swear I just bought a three cell 1320 Thunderpower that came with a JST connector. Is that possible? Doesn't seem right that it would come with a JST connector, could it?

I agree they should never have come with JST's. I suppose the theory was you would never run long enough at hi power to cause a problem. To be fair, there have been very few reports of actual failures that could be proven to be a melted JST. Still, first time I felt them getting warm to the touch, that was more than enough for me to cut them all off and never look back.

Which brings me to yet another question. IF I have to change the connector on the Thunderpower from JST to something else, is there a safe way to do that? Boy, it seems like working on those wires could short something real quick. And also, the gauge of the wire would still be the same so just changing connectors might not solve the problem(?)

The wire size is usually more than adaquate. Be carefull! Cut one wire at a time and finish putting to the new conector and then insulate it before you start to work on the next one. Never leave two exposed wires hanging around at the same time - ever

Thanks again.

Michael
It sucks that there are no universal standards, but thats the way the business world tends to go - VHS vrs Betamax etc.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
goofeyfoot

Larry:

Thanks for the input.

You're right. I looked at the JST 1320 Thunderpower wire and the gauge of the wire is just about the same as the JST 1320 Thunderpower that you can buy without a connector. So yeah, changing the plug is definitely possible. Also the red and black wire are separate and not "joined at the hip" like a stock JST connector so I believe I can switch the plugs without creating the towering inferno.

Was sort of interesting at the LHS where they told me that they use JSTs on everything up to 45 amps! It sure pays to do some research instead of relying on what some retailers will tell you.

Thanks again for your time.

Michael
Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 PM
flashburn

Hi Goofeyfoot you a Snowboarder?
Everyone slams jst plugs, I use them on ALL my indoor stuff with max draws up to 12 AMPS static. Have never had a meltdown or landed with a hot connection. In my setups the speed control runs the hottest.
Deans Ultras are my next up to 30 AMPS static above that Anderson Power poles.
For me it's a weight thing I fly 3D and am constantly trying to trim flying weight so run the lightest possible components.
Bottom line it's your stuff do what makes you feel secure.
If you want to feel a hot plug test the heat on your old vacum cleaner cord plug after running it for 10 min!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
goofeyfoot

No, I don't know anything about snowboards.

Yeah, I get the sense that a lot of people put the JST connector to much more than 5 or 6 amps and I haven't heard any real horror stories. Don't know what to do at this point. Maybe I will go with JST and then if they do get warm then switch over at that point.

Thanks for your comments.

Michael
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM
flashburn

Hi Goofeyfoot: Your handle is used to describe a riding direction in snowboarding, I am a rated instructor @ the local hill. In winter my outdoor 3D is done with a large plank strapped to my feet and it's me actually going airborne! @ 49 Years old. Blows away the young guns when I haul off my goggles and lid.
Up here we fly indoor, right now there are three different locations/groups I fly with, we all use jst plugs. Yet to see a problem.
In a 5 to 10 AMP setup for indoor @ 5 to 7 OZ flying wt. Deans Ultra are way heavy. Deans Micro have exposed pins on the batt side, we all think exposed hot connections are a bit risky so everyone goes with the jst plugs. If you want pull apart a jst and look @ the contact area, the pins and sockets are pretty long.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
goofeyfoot

Yeah, I think the term actually originated with surfing, ie someone who had their right foot up front.

I don't know why I selected the name, I guess I just liked the sound of it.

This plane is about sixteen ounces, give or take and it draws probably in the vicinity of 10 to twelve amps. Not sure.

So I'm sort of on the line with the connection thing. And I definitely would prefer something lighter than Ultras, but don't want to take an unnecessary chance.

Thanks.

Michael