Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

My FIRST RC airplane - ElectriStar TRAINER

Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
floridawen

Question My FIRST RC airplane - ElectriStar TRAINER

Trying to figure out which ARF or RTF TRAINER to buy for my "first" RC Electric Airplane is certainly frustrating..... many do NOT have ailerons.

What do you think of:
Hobbico ElectriStar EP Select RTF 63"

http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa12.html

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Prod...2**&Click=6136

with either a Spektrum DX6i, DX7 or Futaba 6EX controller (TX/RX)

This is going to be my VERY FIRST RC airplane..... I'm a 55 year old "U-Controller" from the 1960's and have been away from model airplanes since 1970. Never too late to get back into the sport/hobby !! Right ??
Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello floridawen. That looks to be a good trainer. Will you have access to experienced RC pilots to help you along? A balsa trainer is not very forgivable when it hits the ground, where a foam trainer will survive to fly again. If you can get a little help to get past the first few flights, you should be ok.

I have a DX-6 and a DX-7 and really like them. The DX-6i is a good choice, since it does not limit you to the AR6000 receiver.

You are right, it is never too late. I also flew (to use the term loosely) U control in the 50's and got into RC about 10 years ago. It is such a great hobby with great folks involved. You will find many of them here on WattFlyer.

Good luck and keep us posted. Ask any questions.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

floridawen,

I learned last spring on that exact aircraft. What a joy to fly. Handles well. I learned on a buddy box; if you have someone available to you to train you with another Futaba radio you can link the one that comes with it, you are golden. After I solo'd I took out the RX and put in my AR7000 for my DX7. I flew the heck outta that plane last year. I can NOT recommend it enough!

If you decide to go with it, or still have questions beforehand, feel free to get hold of me and ask. You will not be disappointed.

Just make sure to get an extr set or two of the 3000mAh NiMHs.....it will definately increase your flying fun.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
floridawen

I also see Hobbico makes a NEXSTAR EP SELECT which also looks like a good trainer........ what is the difference between this and the original one (Electristar) I asked about ??

http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/nexstar-ep/index.html

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Prod...AA09**&click=2

I see it is about twice the price and looks a little larger and more "professional"....... would THIS be a "better" choice for me ??

THANKS !!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
floridawen

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by floridawen View Post
I also see Hobbico makes a NEXSTAR EP SELECT which also looks like a good trainer........ what is the difference between this and the original one (Electristar) I asked about ??
Hobbico put me on hold for 20 minutes again, so I hung up !! Then I called a hobby shop and the gentleman that answered the phone was more than pleased to tell me the difference between the two...... it is like night and day, after all one is $199 and the other is $399.

The "cheaper one" (ElectriStar Select) is designed on "5 year old technology" and has a "old-style" motor and a really inexpensive (cheapy) controller. The "better", more expensive one (NexStar EP Select) has a great brushless motor, "Speedbrake training flaps" as well as removable "SpinControl airfoil extensions" for the wings, the latter two items designed to slow down the plane while in training and can be removed later. This more expensive model also comes with a Futaba 6EXA Controller, not too bad for $399 !!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Sounds like your mind is made up. Good lluck with which ever yu decide. Remember to give us a report of your progress...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Hobbico put me on hold for 20 minutes again, so I hung up !! Then I called a hobby shop and the gentleman that answered the phone was more than pleased to tell me the difference between the two...... it is like night and day, after all one is $199 and the other is $399.

The "cheaper one" (ElectriStar Select) is designed on "5 year old technology" and has a "old-style" motor and a really inexpensive (cheapy) controller. The "better", more expensive one (NexStar EP Select) has a great brushless motor, "Speedbrake training flaps" as well as removable "SpinControl airfoil extensions" for the wings, the latter two items designed to slow down the plane while in training and can be removed later. This more expensive model also comes with a Futaba 6EXA Controller, not too bad for $399 !!
Not to be contrairian, but my Electristar also came with the 6EXA, and the brushless motor and speed controller on it are top of the line. In fact, the ESC is one of the Silver Series. A very good setup.

I can't comment on the bells and whistles of the NexStar, so I won't pretend to know about that stuff, but I can tell you that in my humble opinion, the Electristar has everything a beginning pilot needs to get comfy with RC flight.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

I've got one Kev.

I can't wait to get it in the air. I'm a little nervous about it. I don't want anything to go wrong..
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
I've got one Kev.

I can't wait to get it in the air. I'm a little nervous about it. I don't want anything to go wrong..
Bruce,

The NexStar, you have? Make sure to start a thread about it. I know I love my Electristar. I'll prolly have that for a long time. Would be nice to teach my daughter to fly on it.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Neko

I started up this summer with an Electristar. No regrets. It's stable and easy to fly, but can do basic aerobatics. Make sure you have a large field. It glides forever. Mine came with a Futaba 4-channel radio.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Not to be contrairian, but my Electristar also came with the 6EXA, and the brushless motor and speed controller on it are top of the line. In fact, the ESC is one of the Silver Series. A very good setup.

I can't comment on the bells and whistles of the NexStar, so I won't pretend to know about that stuff, but I can tell you that in my humble opinion, the Electristar has everything a beginning pilot needs to get comfy with RC flight.
See, I just was "listening" to the guy on the phone who works at the hobby shop give me his "personal" opinions about the two planes.... he was really "against" selling the ElectriStar and was really "pushing" the sale of the "NexStar". He told me the ElectriStar has a much "lower quality" transmitter as well as motor, etc. so I am just going on the info I got from him. I wish I could actually VISIT a hobby shop and see each one "side-by-side"...... no one down this way stocks them !!

I certainly didn't mean to "offend" any product or person that may own it, sorry !! I will have to research this matter in greater detail before I make my final purchase. I was really thinking the guy at the hobby shop was "sincere" with his information he was telling me and was NOT just trying to sell the more expen$ive product to me just for "profits" sake.

Last edited by floridawen; 03-19-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

You have to remember, the LHS is going to tell you that what he has in stock is better than anything else. It's just business. Rarely will they talk you out of a bad decision either, if it means not making a sale.

I'll be down your way soon, I can help you get in the air. Just don't listen to the guys who tell you that I can't fly

I would also strongly recommend that you look into buying a simulator, like Real Flight G3.5 or the G4 version. Not only will it save you from many learning induced crashes (RC is much different from U-Control) but with the Real Flight, you can join us for virtual fly in's online. There is a feature in the program that allows you to join a flight session with others online.

In addition to that, I would also recommend sticking with the original idea of the ARF, and the 6i. It will be a radio that you will grow with. It might cost a little more upfront, but I promise, if you stick with the hobby, you will be buying the radio eventually, and you'll be giving that 72mHz system dirty looks while it collects dust in your shop.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
floridawen

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
You have to remember, the LHS is going to tell you that what he has in stock is better than anything else. It's just business. Rarely will they talk you out of a bad decision either, if it means not making a sale.

I'll be down your way soon, I can help you get in the air. Just don't listen to the guys who tell you that I can't fly

I would also strongly recommend that you look into buying a simulator, like Real Flight G3.5 or the G4 version. Not only will it save you from many learning induced crashes (RC is much different from U-Control) but with the Real Flight, you can join us for virtual fly in's online. There is a feature in the program that allows you to join a flight session with others online.

In addition to that, I would also recommend sticking with the original idea of the ARF, and the 6i. It will be a radio that you will grow with. It might cost a little more upfront, but I promise, if you stick with the hobby, you will be buying the radio eventually, and you'll be giving that 72mHz system dirty looks while it collects dust in your shop.
When down this way I'll be lookin' for ya..... I just joined Propbusters RC Club in Lakeland. I live in Plant City.

Even before I buy the ARF plane and system, I was planning to buy (in a few days) REALFLIGHT G4 without any doubt !!!!

I am either going to get it tomorrow from a local Hobby Shop in Lakeland or I am waiting for my new Tower Catalog I ordered this past weekend (expedited the shipping to 3-4 day) with the $10 off coupon, and get it from them. I have a newer, fast computer with a nice LCD monitor it should hook-up well with. I was even thinking of loading RFG4 on my notebook (laptop) and using the 47" TV we have in the living room ??

So ya' think my crazy idea of taking the brand new Futaba 6EXA TX/RX and selling it in eBay or even through THIS Forum, and buying a Spektrum DX7 (changed my mind now on the DX6i) and installing that, is a "sane" and "good" idea
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

floridawen,
I was not offended in the least. Also the radio with the Electristar is a 4 ch radio and would be a capable one to start out. But swapping it out is also an excellent idea.

Getting G4 is a great idea. My flight instructor always could tell when I had been putting in time on the sim, as my skills were better improved and my stick inputs were smoother and more fluid.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:24 PM
floridawen

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
floridawen,
I was not offended in the least. Also the radio with the Electristar is a 4 ch radio and would be a capable one to start out. But swapping it out is also an excellent idea.

Getting G4 is a great idea. My flight instructor always could tell when I had been putting in time on the sim, as my skills were better improved and my stick inputs were smoother and more fluid.
I was waiting for my Tower Hobbies Catalog w/$10 off first order coupon to arrive any day now (spent $5 to have it expedited shipping 3-4 days) but I am sooooooooo anxious to get RealFlight G4 that I might just go to a local hobby shop and buy it from them. I just joined a local RC Club (Propbusters in Lakeland, Florida) and they said I get 5% off purchases from a local hobby shop, but I have not received my membership card yet !!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

So ya' think my crazy idea of taking the brand new Futaba 6EXA TX/RX and selling it in eBay or even through THIS Forum, and buying a Spektrum DX7 (changed my mind now on the DX6i) and installing that, is a "sane" and "good" idea

It is the best idea, in my opinion. You won't regret owning the DX7, it will be a radio to grow into. If you hurry and buy the radio now, you can get up to two free recievers (for park flyers, the AR6100 normally sell for $50, so it's a great deal! I just bought two receivers, and the radio, and will have two more receivers on the way soon.)

I don't know how much money you'll get for the radio, but yeah, it's not a bad way to go. You could of course, keep it as a spare, in case something happened to your DX7. (Like if you set it on your car while packing, and drove off with it up there.)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
It is the best idea, in my opinion. You won't regret owning the DX7, it will be a radio to grow into. If you hurry and buy the radio now, you can get up to two free recievers (for park flyers, the AR6100 normally sell for $50, so it's a great deal! I just bought two receivers, and the radio, and will have two more receivers on the way soon.)

I don't know how much money you'll get for the radio, but yeah, it's not a bad way to go. You could of course, keep it as a spare, in case something happened to your DX7. (Like if you set it on your car while packing, and drove off with it up there.)
Yes, that "Free 2nd Receiver offer" is a good one, and buying two and getting two more "free" sounds great !! You say the AR6100 is for "park flyers" but what receiver is good for the "big stuff" I will probably get into later, after training ?? Shouldn't I be getting four AR7000 ??
Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It's up to you. I find "small" electrics to be quite a bit of fun. As far as I know, the 6100 has quite a bit of range.

If you wanted to spend the extra money, and feel you need the 7100's, then yes, this would be an excellent deal for you.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Fast Guy

See, I just was "listening" to the guy on the phone who works at the hobby shop give me his "personal" opinions about the two planes.... he was really "against" selling the ElectriStar and was really "pushing" the sale of the "NexStar". He told me the ElectriStar has a much "lower quality" transmitter as well as motor, etc. so I am just going on the info I got from him. I wish I could actually VISIT a hobby shop and see each one "side-by-side"...... no one down this way stocks them !!
The guy at the hobby shop may have got the older brushed Nextstar mixed up with the Electristar. It comes with a cheap radio and old technology like he discribes. The Electristar only came out last spring and has the better Futaba computer radio and brushless power. I have 2 Electristars and when powered by lipo batteries they do perform well. My son and I learned to fly on the G3.5 sim and had had no trouble soloing on the first time out. No buddy box for us. Good luck, either plane would be a good to start on.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
The guy at the hobby shop may have got the older brushed Nextstar mixed up with the Electristar. It comes with a cheap radio and old technology like he discribes. The Electristar only came out last spring and has the better Futaba computer radio and brushless power. I have 2 Electristars and when powered by lipo batteries they do perform well. My son and I learned to fly on the G3.5 sim and had had no trouble soloing on the first time out. No buddy box for us. Good luck, either plane would be a good to start on.
I bet you THAT is what he was thinking about.......
The Electristar seems like a nice, affordable, east to "learn" on, airplane.

PLEASE tell me about the lipo batteries , especially what kind (size, manufacturer, etc.), what you did to use them and where did you "mount" them in that plane.... Thanks !!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

If I was to do this all over again, these cheapo planes as Firebird Phantom tho 3 channel would give some feel prior to putting up the bigger investment, even less than the cost of some of the lipos at $59 delivered is amazing, too bad Phantom is slightly speedy, loved mine, climb very quickly, even pavement take off with ease...just a thought...if you haven't caught one inflight, check the video, also youtube loaded with rc model videos..<>..

http://www.hobby-zone-airplanes.com/...FT00FQod9gMA_g

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds, fragile, Spitz my favored
Stryker C, 82 MPH Varoooom