Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Deans Connectors ...Or I ... SUCK

Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 AM
diverdon

Default Deans Connectors ...Or I ... SUCK

Hello all , I have been going thru the battery connector "Blues" for about a month now ... Started with using the crimp style plug together connectors and I would solider them on for a good connection .. They worked fine but I had a few mishaps with plus and minus touching with sparks and 1 ruined battery involved ...

So Hateing deans connectors from earlier experience I went with the "Tamina" (<SP) ones no more sparks but they sometimes didn't pass enough amps/watts to run the motor with enough power ... SO

I went with the Deans again . I originally disliked them because of my poor solidering skills I had melted a few trying to connect them ... But now I am a little more solider experienced and "Tinned" both the wire and connector before I started .. Solidered up fine .. Good joint "I Thought" and no melting ..

But now I go to fly with them and I get the motor etc. "Cutting off" .. UGGGGG!!!!!! ... I found that if I shook the wires to the battery it would work again ... For a few seconds ??? Being very frustrated now I took the deans of and went with the 3.5 mm bullett connectors ... they seem to be working fine as far as passing power but I may end up with the occasional short circit and burnt up battery again .. In other words I have been full circle really with these battery connecters ..

Any Suggestions besides "Learn to solider" I feel I had good solider joints on the deans and they still messed up .. .. Thanks , Don J.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

With the bullets, make sure you use female on the batt (as with deans). With heatshrink you should not have any shorts.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I think you sound like a candidate for Anderson Power Poles.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Don I hear you I hate to solder too, I have used the bullet connectors too, on the battery, and Had a few shorts too, So I went back to the Hard to Solder, hard to get apart Deans connectors I tin the wire and Dean tap also before soldering them together, what a pain, Oh well, Thats RC E Flight I Guess Take care, Chellie
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Don,

Just make sure you position the heat shrink correctly and cover the exposed ends of your bullets with thread protectors and they'll be fine. I gave up on any other style connector long ago.

Frank

Last edited by Murocflyer; 10-29-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Ahh, the battery connector war again. One of my favorite wars. I use E-flite EC3 connectors http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...EFLAEC303.html

They are bullets, housed in one way protective plastic shells. I find them easier to solder than Deans, and still give me some protection from shorting. And they are Blue, I like Blue.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Anderson power poles AKA sermos with Crimpers. I can have 20 connections done before your iron is hot.

The disconnect easily as well. I use them on all apps 15amps to 80amps. Love them....

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

You folks hating on the Deans need to learn to solder.

Best thing about Deans is the price--you can get 10 pairs of an excellent connector for less than $7 shipped (cue someone saying they won't use knock-off Deans). Plus, you get a great, high-capacity connection, and you never have to worry about shorts (so long as you use the female ends on the batteries).

As for them being hard to pull apart--stop eating so much fried chicken and Doritos before you try and disconnect them. Greasy fingers + Deans = much frustration. One good suggestion I read and have had some success with for getting Deans apart is, once you have the connection soldered, use hot glue to make a little "brick" on the wires side which gives you more to grab onto.

Last edited by gzsfrk; 07-08-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post

Best thing about Deans is the price--you can get 10 pairs of an excellent connector for less than $7 shipped (cue someone saying they won't use knock-off Deans). Plus, you get a great, high-capacity connection, and you never have to worry about shorts (so long as you use the female ends on the batteries).

As for them being hard to pull apart--stop eating so much fried chicken and Doritos before you try and pull them apart. Greasy fingers + Deans = much frustration. One good suggestion I read and have had some good success with for getting Deans apart is, once you have the connection soldered, use hot glue to make a little "brick" on the wires side which gives you more to grab onto.
LOL -- my name is Lieutenant Loughead, and I support the above message.

I've been using Deans connectors for the last 3 or 4 years -- and I've NEVER had one fail.

I've been using the Chinese knockoff "Deans" connectors for the last 12 months -- and I've NEVER had one fail.

Getting them apart is somewhat of an art -- I gently rock them back and forth, while pulling... No problems.

Besides, you sure as heck don't want them coming apart on you during flight!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Any Suggestions besides "Learn to solider" I feel I had good solider joints on the deans and they still messed up .. .. Thanks , Don J.
Fellas,

You must have missed this part. He doesn't want comments on how good Deans work and how he should learn to use them. No need to belittle him for not liking Deans. Is this starting to become a trend here on WF? That is certainly not the WF I know.

He'd like to know options besides the Deans. Can we help him with that?

Frank
Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I apologize! I did not realize my words were belittling anyone! :o
Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Guy,

I'm sure you didn't but as a third party here is what I see:

As for them being hard to pull apart--stop eating so much fried chicken and Doritos before you try and disconnect them. Greasy fingers + Deans = much frustration.
my name is Lieutenant Loughead, and I support the above message.
We have to remember, not everyone is as experienced as we are in this hobby and sometimes comments like that, although maybe written as a joke, may not be taken as one. I know for me if I ask for info on a Himax motor that I am having problems with and folks jump in and say I shouldn't be using a Himax motor I should be buying Medusa motors, that's not much help and it's certainly frustrating.

Again, that's how it looks to me. Don is a nice guy and may not see it like that but I thought I should mention it since this is the second time in two days I've seen comments like that.

But then again, it's not place to say or to judge so take it for what its worth. I just thought I'd mention it.

Frank
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

OK again Anderson Power Poles:
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml

Where I get them:
http://www.westmountainradio.com/RCintro.htm

They also sell a $50 crimper that ROCKS! I can crimp 20 pairs of connectors before my iron is hot.

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
TylerJCooper

Brad passed this on to me and I found it really useful.

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/05-05-...owerpole.shtml
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I know for me if I ask for info on a Himax motor that I am having problems with and folks jump in and say I shouldn't be using a Himax motor I should be buying Medusa motors, that's not much help and it's certainly frustrating.
BAH! Himax motors are the best!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Fellas,

You must have missed this part. He doesn't want comments on how good Deans work and how he should learn to use them. No need to belittle him for not liking Deans. Is this starting to become a trend here on WF? That is certainly not the WF I know.

He'd like to know options besides the Deans. Can we help him with that?

Frank
Certainly wasn't trying to belittle or offend anyone, Frank--just offering my thoughts. Besides, the title of this topic is "Deans Connectors... or I... SUCK". That tells me right there that Don isn't going to be super-sensitive to me thowing a little friendly ribbing at him regarding his soldering skills. Heck, he even said in his first post that he "...disliked [Deans] because of [his] poor soldering skills." Surely what little bit I had to say enclosed within smileys and winks isn't going to be hurtful.

But in any case, if I did inadvertently offend Don or anyone else, I apologize--that certainly wasn't the intent. I was just offering my perspective on power connectors while throwing in a little humor. (Intarnetz Pro-tip: That's what the smileyz are for. )
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM
darylm44

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
OK again Anderson Power Poles:
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml

Where I get them:
http://www.westmountainradio.com/RCintro.htm

They also sell a $50 crimper that ROCKS! I can crimp 20 pairs of connectors before my iron is hot.

Mike
I agree!

I switched to Anderson Power Poles after I broke the fuse in one of my planes trying to get Deans apart. I have large fingers and they just don't work well in small areas.

You should give them a try. I have soldered them and crimped them with a cheap electrical crimper and have never had a problem either way. They are larger than deans but in most applications the ease of using them out ways the larger size. You can cut off part of the housing if you have a very small plane or lightweight plane.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
I agree!

I switched to Anderson Power Poles after I broke the fuse in one of my planes trying to get Deans apart. I have large fingers and they just don't work well in small areas.
I have watched that exact thing happen - several times. My friend (the one who still uses them) actually notches them to ease separation, but tonight was a good example of why I like crimping.

I have a review airplane I am currently working on - a ready to fly T-34 Mentor. They use their own connectors - but I wanted to sub the Anderson's. The ESC battery wires were short - would have required surgery (remember a RTF with the ESC and motor installed by the factory) had I not been using APP's. I snipped the eFlite ends off - and crimped the APP's on. Done in one minute all with no soldering.

And I have seen guys cut the APP cases down a bit for smaller birds - that too works well. I am sold!

Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Hostile
flying Cajun

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Guys!!^^

Edit: These are just simple, and cheap snap ring pliers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	72008   Click image for larger version

Name:	asthat.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	72009  

Last edited by Hostile; 07-09-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Ahh, the battery connector war again. One of my favorite wars. I use E-flite EC3 connectors http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...EFLAEC303.html

They are bullets, housed in one way protective plastic shells. I find them easier to solder than Deans, and still give me some protection from shorting. And they are Blue, I like Blue.
Hi Crash Those are some nice connectors, To Bad They only come in BLUE, I think PINK would Have been Better Take care, Chellie
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I apologize! I did not realize my words were belittling anyone! :o
We all Know that You Have a SALTY SENCE OF HUMMOR , It ok, So Do I Take care, Chellie
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 AM
diverdon

Hello All ,

Sorry I have not gotten back to a thread that I started for over 1 day now .. Worked the 5am to 2 pm shift today and that kicks my butt .. Forced me to take a "nap" this evening ...

Thanks for all the replies .. I didn't realize I wasn't the only one to have "Issues" with the battery connectors .. I know I do need to learn to solider better but in the meantime I'd still like to be able to go to the flying field sometimes .. I have watched the videos read instructions from 1/2 dozen people and it "Seems" like I have a GOOD solider joint but still I have the problem .. Twice in 2 weeks after going back with deans .. And if I Shake/Pinch/Twist the connectors the plane comes back alive .... For a few seconds ..

Like I said I have even watched a "Few" videos on this and am doing it just like I see it done

ANYHOW ... To maybe address an answer to the problem for me .. AND lots of others .. It looks like ...... I like the looks of those blue connectors and am gonna order them to try .. I'm betting that will be the answer I need .... THANKS ... They are even polarized and appear to be able to handle enough amps/watts for me ...

The way I have come up with for now (This time) is to use a female bullett connector on the battery positive and a male on the negative .. I can't hook it to the ESC backwards that way .. but still may have a short or spark or 2 still which as we all know is BAD ..

SO REALLY !! Thanks so much again for all of the replies .. If the "Blue? connectors don't work then maybe I will try the Andersen ones. This has been a big help and it is real good to see that I am not the only one who has these problems .. Thanks Again , Don J.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
JGMM_BC
In over my head?!

Now that is a great looking tool... I have to get me one of those...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
We all Know that You Have a SALTY SENCE OF HUMMOR , It ok, So Do I Take care, Chellie
Swell... I have a reputation, and didn't know it...
Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

A trick with the EC3 connectors, just before you put the plastic on, heat the bullets up a bit with the soldering iron and then push them in, they go in easier and don't damage the plastic as much.

Also, anybody else notice that HobbyCity now carries (knock off EC3's) for a buck a pair? Going to add 10 pair to my next order.

Quick Reply: Deans Connectors ...Or I ... SUCK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19144 seconds with 15 queries