Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Please let me know if this setup looks ok!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
maverickma

Default Please let me know if this setup looks ok!

Just bought a Hyperion Super Chipmunk with a 64" wingspan that has a flying weight of 6.2 - 6.6 lbs. More info here. [media]http://www.allerc.com/Pictures/CHIP-70-BoxLabel.jpg[/media] I'm considering the following motors:

Turnigy 50-55b (600kv) which claims to be the equivalent of the Axi 4120-14. Link here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4907

Prop will be a 14X9 as suggested by the motor mfg.

For the esc I'm looking at Turnigy Plush 60a with a switch mode BEC seen here. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=2166

For the battery, I'm looking at a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P 20C seen here. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_5S1P_20C_

My two questoins are, will this give me sufficient power to fly the plane if I fly sport aerobatic with the occasional vertical climb to the moon and can that ESC handle the power without bursting into flames?

Thanks for any input, this is my 1st large plane. Doug
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

You are ok on power, just be sure to either use a separate BEC or carry an onboard flight battery apart from the motor power lipo.

Yes that ESC will handle the power that the motor can take, and what your batteries will deliver, just don't use the BEC from the speed controller.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:31 PM
maverickma

Thanks Nitro Blast. So even with a "switch mode" ESC I still need a separate BEC?

If so, is there an easy way to explain to me how to install a separate BEC? I've seen information but just don't understand how to do it.:o
Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Yup, pretty much anytime you run more than 3 cells you want a separate BEC.
If its a big plane, or if I need extra 'umph' from my servos (like retracts on a 60 size airplane) my preference is to run a battery pack.

If you are running a separate BEC, simply wire it up to the same plug that the speed controller is wired to. Both devices on the same male plug, so when you plug the pack in, you energize both.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
Thanks Nitro Blast. So even with a "switch mode" ESC I still need a separate BEC?
No. The reason they put a switching mode BEC in that ESC is so that it will still work with the higher cell counts. The BEC in that ESC is fine up to 6S. There is no need at all to get a separate BEC. The only clever thing about a separate BEC is that it is switching mode...and as you already have one of those built into the ESC why waste your money ?

The advice not to use the internal BEC over 3S only applies to the older linear style BECs and not many modern ESCs still use those.

Steve
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep I love switch mode BEC's in ESC's. No need for an external BEC. Saves a step!

I am waiting on the all new Castle Creations ICE 50amp ESC with a built in switch mode BEC. The ESC is safe to 8s and it will still provide 5amps of power to the airborne system!

Can't wait to get it.......

Mike
Old 06-13-2009, 02:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Just bought a Hyperion Super Chipmunk with a 64" wingspan that has a flying weight of 6.2 - 6.6 lbs. More info here. [media]http://www.allerc.com/Pictures/CHIP-70-BoxLabel.jpg[/media] I'm considering the following motors:

Turnigy 50-55b (600kv) which claims to be the equivalent of the Axi 4120-14. Link here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4907

Prop will be a 14X9 as suggested by the motor mfg.

For the esc I'm looking at Turnigy Plush 60a with a switch mode BEC seen here. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=2166

For the battery, I'm looking at a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P 20C seen here. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_5S1P_20C_

My two questoins are, will this give me sufficient power to fly the plane if I fly sport aerobatic with the occasional vertical climb to the moon and can that ESC handle the power without bursting into flames?

Thanks for any input, this is my 1st large plane. Doug
That Motor recomends using the 80 AMP ESC not a 60 AMP ESC, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._(DE_Warehouse)

Spec.
TR50-55B
Working Voltage: 8~30
Kv: 600
Weight: 300g
Shaft: 8mm
Dimensions: Length: 55mm
Thrust: 2200 ~ 4600g
Stator Size (AXi Measurement): 40-20
Recomended ESC: 80A ************************************************** **************************************************
Suggested Prop: 5cell:14x9 / 6cell: 14x8
Shaft: 8mm
Power equivalent : .40 to .60 glow engine
Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 AM
maverickma

Good info everyone! Hi Chellie...I think the ESC will be ok since it can handle a "burst current" of up to 80a. I may be wrong though.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Good info everyone! Hi Chellie...I think the ESC will be ok since it can handle a "burst current" of up to 80a. I may be wrong though.

Get the 80 amp, you want to have a little reserve, and you never want to be under rated when it comes to ESC, its best to always have a ESC thats 20% more than what the motor calls for, in this case a 100AMP ESC will give you a comfortable reserve, a 80 amp is marginal and will do the job, the bigger the ESC the cooler it will run, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 AM
maverickma

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Get the 80 amp, you want to have a little reserve, and you never want to be under rated when it comes to ESC, its best to always have a ESC thats 20% more than what the motor calls for, in this case a 100AMP ESC will give you a comfortable reserve, a 80 amp is marginal and will do the job, the bigger the ESC the cooler it will run, hope that helps, Chellie
I still don't understand how to hook a separate BEC up. Would I have a "Y" connector that plugs into the throttle channel, with one wire to the ESC and one to the BEC?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I still don't understand how to hook a separate BEC up. Would I have a "Y" connector that plugs into the throttle channel, with one wire to the ESC and one to the BEC?
with a 4 channel receiver you may have to use a y connector on the throttle port, here is a view from Castle creation on hooking up a UBEC, Take care, Chellie

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html
Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Treat the BEC just like it was a battery. It can plug into the battery port. If your ESC has a BEC built in - make sure you disable that my removing the red wire! You DO NOT want both.

Receivers have a common power bus - so if you don't have a battery port - you can plug the BEC into any unused channel.

Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
maverickma

Sounds like I can use a Y connector from the battery to both the ESC and the UBEC...and then a Y connector from the ESC and UBEC to the throttle channel. Is that correct?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

You could...if you needed a UBEC .

Steve
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
maverickma

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
You could...if you needed a UBEC .

Steve
Sounds like I may need a higher amp ESC and I don't know of any affordable ESC with a "switch mode" BEC or else I'd get one!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Sorry I sort of assumed you'd just go for the 80A version of the Turnigy one you'd already chosen.

Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 AM
maverickma

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Sorry I sort of assumed you'd just go for the 80A version of the Turnigy one you'd already chosen.

Steve
Unfortunately they don't make an 80A version which is a bummer.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Unfortunately they don't make an 80A version which is a bummer.
Sure they Do

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._(DE_Warehouse)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Sounds like I can use a Y connector from the battery to both the ESC and the UBEC...and then a Y connector from the ESC and UBEC to the throttle channel. Is that correct?
If you have a 4 Channel receiver, then you will need a y connector, if you have a 6 channel Receiver or more, then just plug into the batt port, or any open port, you need to cut or remove the red wire on the ESC to Receiver connector, if you have a 4 channel receiver, plug the esc to receiver connector in the y connector, with the red wire removed from the esc, plug the UBEC into the y connector other socket, then plug into the throttle port, Hope that helps, Chellie
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 AM
maverickma

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
If you have a 4 Channel receiver, then you will need a y connector, if you have a 6 channel Receiver or more, then just plug into the batt port, or any open port, you need to cut or remove the red wire on the ESC to Receiver connector, if you have a 4 channel receiver, plug the esc to receiver connector in the y connector, with the red wire removed from the esc, plug the UBEC into the y connector other socket, then plug into the throttle port, Hope that helps, Chellie
Thanks Chellie. THanks for finding that Plush 80A. I saw it and assumed it didn't have switch mode BEC in it since it didn't say it in the specs like the 60A one did. Guess I didn't compare them to see that they are exactly the same except for the amps!!! Problem solved!