Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Multi motor rules and guidelines

Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Default Multi motor rules and guidelines

In the past year I've learned a ton of info about brushless motors, and lipos, and such, through my own research or from others on forums like this. My question now is, can someone put down some basic rules and guidelines for multi motored setups? Things such as serial vs parallel pro's and con's, brushless/lipo'd setups, how do the esc's and batteries play into all of this? I've never attempted multiple motors before and would like to get into it, but I want to make sure to do things right and not let any smoke out in the process!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 PM
meatball

Most multi-motored setups need an ESC per engine, but some have known to get away with one if the motors are high quality and match eachother. Brushed setups can get away with one ESC for two motors. Make sure with one ESC you always use a wattmeter and count up your amps to prevent frying equipment.

NEVER static test for longer then 20-30 seconds, especially if on burst

You can use one battery for two motors, but make sure that you count up the amps and use a wattmeter, again for obvious reasons.

As for running the servo's, most ESC's cant coagulate with each other to use the BEC's in both and will cause problems. So with small multi-engine setups, cut the red reciever wire on one of the ESC's to stop the BEC from working, or get an external BEC (needed for high voltage setups)
Old 02-26-2006, 09:44 PM
tim hooper
Single-task man

For brushed motors only you can use as many or as few ESCs as you want - one per motor, or one for a pair of motors, one for four etc. Just as long as the ESCs are up to the total amperage that they'll be supplying you shouldn't have a problem.

The deciding factor with brushed motors will probably be the batteries. If the cells can cope with all the motors wired in parallel, then just use one ESC. If you're going for a series circuit then use as many ESCs as you have circuits.

Brushless motors (with a few exceptions) will need a separate ESC for every motor, no matter how many battery packs you use.

tim
Old 02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

As with anything R/C related, there is more than one "right" way to work with multiple motors.

Brushless is actually simpler than brushed in this regard, due to the fact that each motor needs its own speed control 99.8% of the time. This limits you as to how you can wire up the motors and ESCs to the battery.

Plan your system around a single power source, that is, a single battery or multiple batteries connected together. Having a single power source all but eliminates the possibility of an "engine out" situation, where one battery goes dead before the other(s).

On a brushless multi-motor system, the most practical setup is to connect the ESCs to the power source in parallel. It's also the safest, because if the ESCs were connected in series, and one fried, you'd either fry the other one as well, or lose all power and control (assuming a BEC).

Treat each power system separately until it comes time to connect them to the battery. Then add up the Amp requirements of all the power systems, and size your battery based on that. Normally, all your motor/ESC combinations will be the same, so it's a simple matter of multiplying the Amp requirements of one times the number of motors you have on the plane.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:02 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

When connecting to the throttle, you just cut the bec wire on all but one, and 'Y' them into the throttle channel?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
When connecting to the throttle, you just cut the bec wire on all but one, and 'Y' them into the throttle channel?
That's about it, though I'd just take the power connector out of the socket and tape it back rather than cutting anything.

It doesn't actually cause any real problems if you leave more than one BEC connected (on any ESC I've ever seen) but it's more common to use just one and diconnect the others.

Steve
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
thomdoe

This thread gave me all the info.I need to hook up my twin EDF BL. thanks to all. K