RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

***What is a good first personal radio***

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
superd333
Back From a 0.5 year ban!

Exclamation ***What is a good first personal radio***

Hey guys,

I'm investing in my first "Personal" radio.

what is a good 2.4ghz, 4ch radio?

Also i would like to have a receiver or two that work with it.

willing to spend a few hundred, but no more.

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Hmmm -- Your $200 spending limit is going to be a serious limiting factor. Let me ask you a question -- do you think you're going to spend MONTHS, or YEARS in this hobby?

If the answer is MONTHS, then I'd suggest a used 72MHz radio on eBay -- something like a Hitec Optic 6.

If the answer is YEARS, then I'd suggest a new Spektrum DX6i (or even a DX7, if you can afford it).

In either case, a good quality receiver is going to cost you about $50 each -- so it's going to be difficult to find a radio and two receivers for $200. :o

If you're looking for something to just try out, send me a PM. I may have a couple of options for you.

Best of luck!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
superd333

Im so sorry i wasn't able to respond earlier, i had some problems with my account.

I will be in the hobby for years if not decades hopefully.

So i want to get a 2.4ghz.

i will be first flying 4ch, but can see in the future moving into some 6ch planes.

if i buy a 6ch radio, will i be able to use it in a 4ch plane, with the 6ch receiver?

thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 03:56 PM
jkaven

Originally Posted by superd333 View Post
if i buy a 6ch radio, will i be able to use it in a 4ch plane, with the 6ch receiver?
thanks
Yes

Get a DX7. You'll get a 20 model memory compared to the 10 on the DX6i. 20 models may seem like a lot but if you really enjoy the hobby you'll hit 10 pretty quickly. Plus you might want to use two memory slots for setting up a plane and helicopter on a sim. I almost bought the DX6i but I'm glad I got the DX7 because after a year I'm over 10 models.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Bite the bullet, DX7. Then pick up some ar6000 rx for cheap (ish) for pakflyers and get ar6200 or ar7000's for when you get into the bigger planes.

To answer your other question, you can use a 6 channel RX on a one, two, three channel etc. set-up.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
superd333

is this a good radio? http://www.rcplanet.com/Futaba_6EX_6...p/futk6900.htm

also, say i get an ARF plane, will all radios and recievers work with the servos in the ARF (almost ready to fly)?

thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Yes, the radios and rx's will work with ARF's. For a radio, keep your eye out for a used Spektrum DX7. It's an outstanding radio, you don't need an engineering degree to program it, and the menues are clear and relatively easy to understand. Buy it used and save a few dollars. If you have concerns with it, you can send to to Horizon Hobby and have a tech go over it...often for free...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Futaba is a good brand name, but I'm sorry to say I know nothing about that radio. The advice you have been offered above is best -- get a Spektrum DX6i, or DX7 if you can afford it. Click on the links to learn more about those systems. You can find some good deals on eBay, if you search for them.

also, say i get an ARF plane, will all radios and recievers work with the servos in the ARF (almost ready to fly)?
Yes, all radios and receivers will work with the servos in the ARF airplane. However, if you buy a "Bind and Fly" airplane, it will only work with a Spektrum system.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Yes that's good radio but many of us prefer Spektrum. If you can't afford a DX7 the DX6i is roughly equivalent to the Futaba 6EX and Spektrum make a greater range of receivers, some of which are a lot cheaper than Futaba receivers.

BTW most ARFs don't come with servos. You have to buy your own. Perhaps you're thinking of PnP models like some of the Parkzone ones. Anyway almost all servos are compatible with almost all receivers. There are only a few exceptions, mainly in some very small models which use non-standard connectors.

Steve
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Or you could get away from the main stream and go Airtronics.

I have not had one issue with Airtronics 2.4, ever. I've had brown outs on Spektrum (my fault), but I don't have to worry about that with Airtronics.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

I have both of their 2.4 air radios (the RDS8000 and SD-10G) and absolutely love them. I'm also using their MX-3FHSS 2.4 car radio. They just stopped the RDS8000 for 220$ with two receiver deal, but they have the RDS with 1 receiver for 140$ right now, which no one comes near in the price range. Airtronics receivers are also on the cheaper side. Their 8ch is cheaper then Spektrum's 7ch. Airtronics 7ch is about the same as the full range 6ch Spektrum receiver. And their "parkflyer" receivers are the same price as Spektrum's.

Just makin' sure you know Spektrum isn't the only one out there.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 PM
superd333

thank you to all.

I guess the spectrum seems to be the most popular brand.

i am going with the DX6i, i wont be above 10 planes for a while.

Where can i get this radio, where it comes with a receiver or two?

linky lniky. please

thanks

Superd333
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dx6i_full...QueryId=178893

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM6620

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM6600

The last two links are to the Spektrum web site. On the right side, you can enter your zip code, and find local hobby shops which carry the DX6i. That way, you can look at it before you buy it.

Best of luck -- let us know how it turns out!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
superd333

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dx6i_full...QueryId=178893

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM6620

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM6600

The last two links are to the Spektrum web site. On the right side, you can enter your zip code, and find local hobby shops which carry the DX6i. That way, you can look at it before you buy it.

Best of luck -- let us know how it turns out!
thanks, Will do!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:26 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Cool! For a "few" hundred, you should be ables to get a few receivers also!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
aramid

I'm a big fan of the Spektrum radios, mostly because the receivers are so cheap compared to everyone else's 2.4 equipment. I actually prefer the DX6i over the admittedly more capable DX7, just because I think the menu system on the 6i is nicer. Really, for anyone who doesn't spend a lot of time playing with mixes and doesn't plan to fly complex helicopters, I think the only benefit the 7 has over the 6i is twice the model memory.

Remember, if you're using Spektrum radio equipment, you need a strong power source for the radio and servos. Typically this means using a switchmode BEC if you're running on 3s or higher LiPo, or using a separate receiver pack. The normal linear BEC built into most speed controllers is only acceptable on 2s LiPo, where it'll stay much cooler and provide more power.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
superd333

how do you do elivon mixing with the DX6i?

thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
aramid

Elevon mixing is just another option in the menu, as I recall, but I've heard that it doesn't work quite the way people expect it to. I've also found, but not tried, this approach.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
Elevon mixing is just another option in the menu, as I recall, but I've heard that it doesn't work quite the way people expect it to. I've also found, but not tried, this approach.
How could elevon mixing not work the way people expect it to? It's a pretty simple function! :o
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Elevon mixing, without using the Elevon setting, allows for 'coupled' elevons...

[media]http://vimeo.com/5578144[/media]
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
superd333

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Elevon mixing, without using the Elevon setting, allows for 'coupled' elevons...

[media]http://vimeo.com/5578144[/media]
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
superd333

How could elevon mixing not work the way people expect it to? It's a pretty simple function! :o
i think what he means is that there isn't enough throw.

you have to do a few steps to increase the throw. i read about this.

thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

How strange. I've ordered DX6i's for customers, but never set up elevons for them. However, I've got elevons set up on my DX7 for my Stryker, and it's just fine...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 AM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

It is pretty simple, but it appears that the firmware author for the DX6i got it wrong.

According to the tests done by the author of the linked thread there are problems with asymmetric throws, limited travel, and complications with trim. His work is reasonably meticulous and he says Spektrum/Horizon has acknowledged all the problem and stated that they will not be fixing them.

With my DX6i I noticed the problem with asymmetric throws giving spiral loops. I crudely attempted to correct it by adjusting endpoints but CRUDELY is the significant word there. It has never flown right. I've also struggled with the reduced throws compared the behavior of other radios. Just about an hour ago I reprogrammed using the suggested mixing method as an alternative to the build-in elevon mix. I'll hopefully be able to test it out tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

wow, another problem with the dx6i...?

Buy yourself a used dx7 and forget the 6i and it's faulty scroll wheel that tends to break...

SK
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
wow, another problem with the dx6i...?

Buy yourself a used dx7 and forget the 6i and it's faulty scroll wheel that tends to break...

SK
or a X9303!

Quick Reply: ***What is a good first personal radio***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18204 seconds with 12 queries