RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

***What is a good first personal radio***

Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
or a X9303!
If you've got the money for a new one... absolutely... although I don't think you'll find anyone selling a used one...LOL

Ps, I'm using a 9303 2.4ghz myself...LOL

seriousely, there are many fantastic pilots that still use the dx7... It'll last you quite a long time... I purchased a used one about a year ago for a buddy of mine tx/only for $125... it still works like new....

SK
Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

the nice thing about the broken scroll wheel on the dx6i, is that they seem to be giving out ar6150 rx's free when you send it in.... for the inconvienience....

SK
Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
If you've got the money for a new one... absolutely... although I don't think you'll find anyone selling a used one...LOL

Ps, I'm using a 9303 2.4ghz myself...LOL

seriousely, there are many fantastic pilots that still use the dx7... It'll last you quite a long time... I purchased a used one about a year ago for a buddy of mine tx/only for $125... it still works like new....

SK
I got both mine, and my Son's used, and got a steal on mine too!

Yes the DX7 is an awesome radio and I would still have mine if I hadn;t gotten the deal on the 9303's
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 AM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Default For the severely budget constrained among us

While I would love to own a DX7 or X9303 budget constraints mean that I'll be using my DX6i for a while. I have experienced the trim button failure problem, and fixed it in about 10 minutes with a drop of epoxy. I have not had the scroll wheel problem. The elevon mix problem, while annoying, and, until today, unknown to me can easily be worked around with a single programmable mix.

So by spending $0 I can continue to enjoy my DX6i. I am facing the possibility that I'll run into the 10 model memory limit. But since I'd have to buy more receivers for that to be a problem, I won't likely have that issue for a while either.

The DX6i is indeed not as robust as more expensive radios. I wouldn't be surprised if Spektrum/Horizon replaces it fairly soon with something with similar features and a little more durability. But it has many redeeming qualities and I'm still pleased with the use I'm getting from mine.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
superd333
Back From a 0.5 year ban!

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
wow, another problem with the dx6i...?

Buy yourself a used dx7 and forget the 6i and it's faulty scroll wheel that tends to break...

SK
It wouldn't break if you treat you stuff as good as me. if im going to to spend over 200 in a radio, im not going to throw it around.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by superd333 View Post
It wouldn't break if you treat you stuff as good as me. if im going to to spend over 200 in a radio, im not going to throw it around.
I try to take good care of my gear too. The problem with the trim switches is a poor design that suffers fatigue cracking failure in the little plastic mechanism in normal use. As I said, the trim problem is easily fixed in a few minutes with a drop of epoxy. It is, however, a delicate operation and you have to be willing to open up the case and turn a couple of screws. I have not seen the scroll wheel problem and I've read that if you only press on the top portion of the scroller you won't have the breakage problem with it. Neither of these mechanical problems are induced by rough handling. They are design flaws. The firmware problem that creates the elevon problem is easily worked around by using a programmable mix in place of the built-in mix. It is a bit disappointing that Spektrum/Horizon isn't willing to fix the firmware however. I suspect they are focused on producing new products and aren't willing to invest the effort into what is probably for them a product near the end of its active marketing life. Perhaps the author of the DX6i firmware no longer works for the company so they may consider it risky and expensive to make firmware modifications. I still consider my DX6i a good value for the money. If I'd had to send my radio in to get the trim buttons fixed though then I'd be substantially more annoyed with them as it seems to take they a long time to turn around repairs (4 to 6 weeks).
Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Sometimes no matter how careful you are things break. Normal wear and tear, and as MM says, poor designs overcome you taking care of your stuff.

I baby my Ford F-250 and take immaculate care of it because I really like it and I paid an awful lot for it. It still had an issue in the engine which required a weeks stay in the shop for repair.

stuff happens...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
superd333
Back From a 0.5 year ban!

Smile

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Sometimes no matter how careful you are things break. Normal wear and tear, and as MM says, poor designs overcome you taking care of your stuff.

I baby my Ford F-250 and take immaculate care of it because I really like it and I paid an awful lot for it. It still had an issue in the engine which required a weeks stay in the shop for repair.

stuff happens...
Fair enough, but i don't want a radio any cheaper than this one, and i can't afford one much more than this one, so i guess i just have to order it and deal with the problems as they arise.

no radio under $250 is going to have no design flaws or inconveniences.

to everyone: thanks for helping me out with finding a good radio!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Fair enough, but i don't want a radio any cheaper than this one, and i can't afford one much more than this one, so i guess i just have to order it and deal with the problems as they arise.

no radio under $250 is going to have no design flaws or inconveniences.

to everyone: thanks for helping me out with finding a good radio!
I don't blame you and I don't think anyone was trying to tell you not to get it.

It is a fine radio and it will serve you well, as it has countless other people. Just know it's limitations and take extra precautions in those areas, take the advice of those who have experience with it and you will be happy with it too.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

I agree the Spektrum is a good radio, but the Futaba 2.4 Fast is an awesome radio to. Nobody can't deny that Futaba isn't at the forfront of Technology. I also have a cheap 2.4 I bought from Hobby City that hasn't giving me one bit of trouble. True you have to program it with your PC, but who dosn't have a PC, but its hard to argue with less than $50.00 including shipping.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I agree the Spektrum is a good radio, but the Futaba 2.4 Fast is an awesome radio to. Nobody can't deny that Futaba isn't at the forfront of Technology. I also have a cheap 2.4 I bought from Hobby City that hasn't giving me one bit of trouble. True you have to program it with your PC, but who dosn't have a PC, but its hard to argue with less than $50.00 including shipping.
I've really been wrestling with whether to recommend those to beginners on very limited budgets. What do you think?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 AM
aramid

Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
I've really been wrestling with whether to recommend those to beginners on very limited budgets. What do you think?
I've had similar thoughts. If someone were interested in flying large planes at an official field, I'd probably tell them to get a decent used 72 MHz radio, but the HK 2.4 would be a good choice for someone interested in park fliers or someone planning to try things out before buying a quality, name-brand spread-spectrum radio (if they plan to upgrade to a good 72 MHz, they might as well just start with a used one). I've read some pretty decent reviews of the HK 2.4, but it's got some serious limitations. Apart from having no programming whatsoever, it doesn't use the redundant, shifting RF links SS gear uses. It simply grabs a single empty frequency and transmits on that for the duration of the flight. I'd be happy to fly a cheap foamy on one, but I wouldn't want to give the impression that it was a robust, secure system.

Lots of information can be found here, and the details of frequency management are in this reply.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
Or you could get away from the main stream and go Airtronics.

I have not had one issue with Airtronics 2.4, ever. I've had brown outs on Spektrum (my fault), but I don't have to worry about that with Airtronics.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

I have both of their 2.4 air radios (the RDS8000 and SD-10G) and absolutely love them. I'm also using their MX-3FHSS 2.4 car radio. They just stopped the RDS8000 for 220$ with two receiver deal, but they have the RDS with 1 receiver for 140$ right now, which no one comes near in the price range. Airtronics receivers are also on the cheaper side. Their 8ch is cheaper then Spektrum's 7ch. Airtronics 7ch is about the same as the full range 6ch Spektrum receiver. And their "parkflyer" receivers are the same price as Spektrum's.

Just makin' sure you know Spektrum isn't the only one out there.
At the risk of bodily harm, I will second Mike's suggestion of the RDS8000. My Optic 6 cost this much without a Rx when I first got into this hobby and that was the go to radio of its time for a person's first computer Tx. For a Tx and a Rx all for $140? You can't find a better value.

Frank
Old 09-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Nobody can't deny that Futaba isn't at the forfront of Technology.
I don't think you said what you intended to say...

True you have to program it with your PC, but who dosn't have a PC...
I'm not sure what you're talking about here -- I didn't have to program mine with a PC. Are we talking about the Futaba radio, or the Hobby City 2.4GHz radio?

For what it's worth, I purchased a Hobby City 2.4GHz radio to use as a combat aircraft radio. That way, if my airplane takes a direct hit, and the receiver gets damaged, there's no big loss.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

The Hobby City Radio
Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
Apart from having no programming whatsoever,.
actually, it's programmed with the computer using the link...

I downloaded the Computer software for the 6channel one, and it appears pretty decent, for acro, you have Endpoint, Reverse, Subtrim, duel rates, Mode 1,2,3,4, and mixes...

However, it doesn't have anything for expo... That Kinda bums me out... If they have a firmware or software update to fix that... I'd definately buy one to try out... (not that I'd trust it with my $500+ models, but for a foamy... it might be acceptable... and would prob be good for anyone starting out (at least it's better than a dx5 because of Dual rates)

SK
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
At the risk of bodily harm, I will second Mike's suggestion of the RDS8000. My Optic 6 cost this much without a Rx when I first got into this hobby and that was the go to radio of its time for a person's first computer Tx. For a Tx and a Rx all for $140? You can't find a better value.

Frank
Sadly, it seems most of the hobby is under the "Spektrum is the only good 2.4 radio" spell.

More Airtronics receivers for me!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Mr Wizard

is this a good radio? http://www.rcplanet.com/Futaba_6EX_6...p/futk6900.htm

also, say i get an ARF plane, will all radios and recievers work with the servos in the ARF (almost ready to fly)?

thanks
An excellent choice...I second that!