Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Mini Swift & EDF 50

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Hernthehunter

Default Mini Swift & EDF 50

Can anyone tell me if an GWS EDF 50 would be strong enough to use on a MSCOMPOSIT Mini Swift? Would like to use lipo for this too. Thanks.

GOOD FLYING!!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Scruffy

Hiya Hern.

I don't know about the GWS 50, but i have a Mini Swift with this motor
http://www.2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/c...oducts_id=2405
and a 500 mah 2s 20c lipo
Ballanced right on with that batt. in the nose (a little placement experimenting)
6030 prop and its a winner. Its a fun little flyer at 1/2 throttle, WOT it goes and it can still be proped for more speed with that motor on 2s, 3s lipo if you have great eyesite.
Good luck with your project.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Hernthehunter

Default Mini Swift

I am looking to fly the Mini Swift with an EDF. Isnt that just a normal electric motor using a prop and not an EDF?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Scruffy

Yep Hern its a normal outrunner 15grams 2300kv. Keep in mind the weight of the EDF cause that little wing is really CG sensitive just like any wing. I read one of your other posts you want to fly it indoors. Ppl have flown the mini swift inside but there builds are lite, 10gram motors etc. I put what I used in mine becauses its just a fun little wing Heres a multi page thread on the Mini Swift read it and see what weight ppl are flying them at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724189
Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Exclamation EDF Too FAST!!!

An EDF will be awful fast for indoors & a bit heavy. I fly the Swift II with an E-flite 250 motor and it screams.

The mini swift should fly with an E-flite 180. A friend of mine has this setup.

You could get one of those off brand motors too and save some $.

When you think EDF think JETS and SPEED!!! EDF's are higher RPM motors than a prop motor. It will also eat up your battery time faster.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Hernthehunter

Default Mini Swift and EDF

I would like to fly it in the Golf Dome in Columbus, OH. I just have seen someone get chopped trying to launch a stryker recently. I have injuries to my arms from a previous accident by an electric. I got this small GWS EDF 50 and just thought it might be alright for that size flying wing. Just really want to know what size flying wing or plane, for indoor use if possible, I could use it on?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Scruffy

Hern, I looked on the hobby city site and the GWS 50 weights in at about 29.81-29.91 grams. You will have to balance that. Maybe a small 3s lipo. I would set it up and then see how much weight I need to balance it and order the batt. than suits my needs. Also before you get to far go to the thread I posted, look at the motors there useing and compair the thrust to that of your GWS unit. Most of them are hobby city motors so they will be easy to find the thrust.
Have fun