Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Lights just saved my butt!!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Default Lights just saved my butt!!

Tonight i flew my cessna 182 super scale, been so windy all day, but I was itchy. Wind was around 15 with gusts to 20mph, not too bad. But it was by far the windiest conditions that I have flown in.

Long story short, got wayyyyyyyyyyy down wind like at least 1500 ft, lost the plane in the low light, and got disoriented for a bit. The 182 has a bright landing lite on the left wing and I mounted a second light just behind the nose gear.

At nearly 1/4 mile, I could see only the orientation of the two lights and I was able to bring her home. If I just had the one factory light, I could not of seen the plane's level. A $7 Kmart hat light just saved a $200 plane.

Another thing that I learned here on WF is to keep your nose down in higher windy conditions, you make lot better progress into the wind!!
Just read that yesterday on another thread. Saved my plane too.

The nav lights do help of course, duh!. They cant be seen to well directly in front. Just thought i would share yet another real reason to put lights on your plane other than it looks cool
Gets way dark real quick out on the farm!

Got a video, just not real sure how to clip a portion of it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Glad you saved your plane dont let a plane get down wind, its hard to bring back, and your right, point the plane down into the wind, to get it back to you, or the wind will blow it away, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 AM
dkrhardy

I flew yesterday and as it got darker, I could still see the plane, big old Appren 15e, but it was very hard to tell which was up or left/right. Scared myself ( SHHH quietly) and got it back! My silly eRC J5 has nav lights (cool, huh?). But on all 3 wings the Chinese workers put them on the wrong side! Sooooo, that way of orienting won't work!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I put christmas lights on my app 15e, lit up the night (dusk) sky like MOTEL 6!!. pic might be in my gallery

Now the app is dead, lost part of wing in high g turn, (didnt have enuff motor angle) broke at about 400 ft up came down whistleling, lost an 80dollar battery and the fuse looks like an accordian, but someday gona build a fuse from scratch and try to get her up again owell live and let die