Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Need a jump start to basic programming a jr Dsx7

Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Default Need a jump start to basic programming a jr Dsx7

I have tried to find a kind of generalist sample of what programming mixes should be on the a computer radio, but to no avail.
I have read the manual several times, but I just need a little bit of help with a starting point, as I have no clue where to start.

I am a little bit in awe at the complexity of these radios, it is incredible what a computer radio is capable of doing.

My main question is regarding flaps to elev mixing, if I set it at down 25%, the elev goes 1/4 down travel when ever flaps are switched on? Is 25% too much/not enough?

Same thing with ail-rudder mixing= full aileron travel and 1/4 rudder travel?

Also, concerning differential aileron mixing. I understand what it does L AIL DOWN=100%, R AIL UP=50% on the plane, but what does it do in the air? Slow down the roll-rate? Smoother turns?

Just trying to get a head start before I leave the ground! I am flying intermediate/beginner/trainer aircraft with about 80% confidence ....lol.....most of the time! My main plane is 55" 182 w/ flaps getting ready to make its 24th flight after the last four have been horrible..(finally repaired)

I really just have to admire the skill and know-how that it takes fly RC planes with these types of radios.

thank you
have a good one
cr
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
I have tried to find a kind of generalist sample of what programming mixes should be on the a computer radio, but to no avail.
I have read the manual several times, but I just need a little bit of help with a starting point, as I have no clue where to start.

I am a little bit in awe at the complexity of these radios, it is incredible what a computer radio is capable of doing.

My main question is regarding flaps to elev mixing, if I set it at down 25%, the elev goes 1/4 down travel when ever flaps are switched on? Is 25% too much/not enough?

Same thing with ail-rudder mixing= full aileron travel and 1/4 rudder travel?

Also, concerning differential aileron mixing. I understand what it does L AIL DOWN=100%, R AIL UP=50% on the plane, but what does it do in the air? Slow down the roll-rate? Smoother turns?

Just trying to get a head start before I leave the ground! I am flying intermediate/beginner/trainer aircraft with about 80% confidence ....lol.....most of the time! My main plane is 55" 182 w/ flaps getting ready to make its 24th flight after the last four have been horrible..(finally repaired)

I really just have to admire the skill and know-how that it takes fly RC planes with these types of radios.

thank you
have a good one
cr
Flap/elevator mixing: 25% may be waaay to much or not enough. It depends on the plane. I fly Futaba mostly, so my numbers wont do you any good, but usualy I only need 10% or so. BUT that varies a lot from one plane to the next AND it varies depending on how effective your flaps are, what the airfoil is, how the plane is balanced, etc etc.

In other words - you cant really guess and hope to get it right.

Here is what I do. I have flaps either on a 3 way switch or on a slider. That way I can start with only minimum flap travel on the first test. Some planes react drastically when flaps are dropped and some say ho-hum. You want to start out with only a little throw untill you know how YOURE plane reacts. And dont think the next plane you try this on will be the same way - it may be wildly different.

Anyway - start with a switch or slider controlling flaps. id only start with maybe 10 or 15 degrees of down. Not much.

Take off and go waaaaaaaay hi up, throttle back to landing power and turn on the flaps and see what happens. Hopefully not much More than likely the plane will nose UP slightly. Give it some down to correct and see how it flies. Fly it around the patern a time or two to get a feel for flaps down this much. Try to note how much DOWN your giving it. Maybe try full throttle with the flaps down this much and see if you need to change the amount of down stick to keep it flying level. Hopefully the down required is close to the same.

Land and adjust your mix to give you the amount of down you were feeding in while flying - or as close as you can get.

Take off and fly again and see if you got it right. Adjust as needed.

Once thats going good, try more flap by setting position 2 on the switch to 20-25 degrees down or adjust the slider to that amount. Repeat the flights and see if your mix percentage still works. You may need to make changes.

Add more flaps and repeat the tests.

You will get to a point where you dont want more flap travel on most planes. Sometimes, there comes a point where you start to loose control authority or the plane starts to be harder to fly so back off to a point your happy with and fine tune the mix so that when you turn the flaps on, the plane does not pitch up or down.

then your done with THAT one

On aileron to rudder mix, again 25% may be too much or not enough. That mix isnt generally so trouble some as flaps can be so Id start maybe 15% and go up or down if needed. Again, fly and adjust, fly and adjust.

You have aileron differential backwards. Generally you want more UP travel than down. The reason is to help control adverse yaw. The prevailing theory has been that you use roughly double the UP verses down travel - but again that varies from plane to plane. Fly and adjust, fly and adjust.

However, if your planing to fly IMAC or any type of precision aerobatics where you spend a fair amount of time inverted, then you dont want any differential.

Also, Ive been reading lately that Dr mark Drella recommends NOT using any differential because it causes unwanted pitching moment on the plane. He recommends learning to fly the rudder and using the rudder to control adverse yaw rather than using differential.

if your going to program in an aileron to rudder mix, then Id say dont use differential. Set the plane up with equal up/down on the ailerons.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Larry3215

By the way, make sure your aileron to rudder mix has the rudder going the same way as the ailerons. In other words, right aileron wants right rudder mixed in etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Larry3215

Hmmmm just remembered the DX7 has a single, dedicated flap switch? In that case, just start out with a small amount of total flap travel and work up to your final flap setting over several flights like I mentioned above.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Thank you sir, that gives me much needed info.....winds are goin to be strong all wk til sat, but I was figuring on...."fly and adjust" as you stated, just stuck inside right now.

So I can set 2 values for both positions on switch for flaps and just try the low one first.....that will be easy enough.

Before I had the flaps travel approx at 20degrees and it would jump up 10ft easily at mid-throttle. So pretty much with your advice, I will start around maybe 5 degrees with very minimal elev mix. Since I have been using flaps, I have noticed a decrease in aileron effectiveness, just feels mushy
And after I read my own question about differential ailerons...lol....I knew it was backwards and most likely wont be using it anyways...Just learning
Again I thank you for your help.

have a good one
cr
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Also what a good place to start with expo on the sticks, I feel I dont need a whole lot, as I make fairly smooth movements with my old dx5e with nothing(expo). 25% to maybe 50% expo on ailerons and elevator was what I was thinkin.....??
Thanks in advance

Is it hot or is it just me.......freaking 104 degrees outside right now and no RAIN!!!!!!! I thought summer started june 21st

have a good one
cr
Old 05-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Also what a good place to start with expo on the sticks, I feel I dont need a whole lot, as I make fairly smooth movements with my old dx5e with nothing(expo). 25% to maybe 50% expo on ailerons and elevator was what I was thinkin.....??
Thanks in advance

Is it hot or is it just me.......freaking 104 degrees outside right now and no RAIN!!!!!!! I thought summer started june 21st

have a good one
cr
Thats probably a good place to start on expo.