RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range problem with Frsky hack module

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
cheshireflyer

Default Range problem with Frsky hack module

Hi

Last weekend I installed a hack module in my Futaba 6EXA. That was very straight forward. RX bound straight away but range check gives only 20 paces against the 30 paces stated in the instructions. The range check was carried out on the field with no cars etc. in the way or any wifi and so on ( as far as anyone can be sure)

When flying quite far out in my Easy* which I thought was the best test bed the motor cuts as failsafe cuts in (I think) re-connection is almost instant. I cannot re-create this motor cut situation at close range no matter how long I hold full throttle whilst moving the controls around.
I have a battery alarm in the model connected to the 2 cell lipo and that never sounds and I always have at least 40% capacity left when I finish flying.

I have read many many threads saying how great the range is on the Frsky and that the 30 paces test range is far more than this on many sets.

Any help on this would be appreciated before I put my JR 35 meg gear back in the Easy* as I never had any problem with that.

I have another thread running thinking it may be an esc problem.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...111#post836111

Pete

Pete
Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Rodneh

Did you make sure that the antenna cannot be blocked out due to the way it is mounted? If any object can shade the antenna (get between the transmitter antenna and receiver antenna in some attitude) that could cause a drop out due to loss of signal.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
cheshireflyer

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Did you make sure that the antenna cannot be blocked out due to the way it is mounted? If any object can shade the antenna (get between the transmitter antenna and receiver antenna in some attitude) that could cause a drop out due to loss of signal.
I have both antena brought outside the fuselage. One extends horizontal towards the nose the other on the opposite side extends vertically.
I thought this was the optimum setup.
It all goes to show how finiky it is with such a short wavelength.
One thing I have noticed is:
The field extends out flat towards the base of a hill covered with trees . It is when the model approaches the hill that the failsafe seems to kick in.
I can fly at quite an altitude overhead or just in front of me in fact towards the extent of my eyesight and no problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
cheshireflyer

Default Range problem sorted

I feel stupid now !

It turns out that the aerial was not connecting correctly. It was not screwing down far enough and the centre pine was barely contacting. I now have loads of range and flew the Easy* almost out of sight under full control.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM
geoff 17364

Originally Posted by cheshireflyer View Post
I feel stupid now !

It turns out that the aerial was not connecting correctly. It was not screwing down far enough and the centre pine was barely contacting. I now have loads of range and flew the Easy* almost out of sight under full control.

hi have the same problems with range check,long shot but can you remember how you wired it up ,just to check i have done it right ,,,,thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

The issue with the OP was that the antenna lead was not seated properly in UFL connector on the DHT board. Those connectors can take a surprising amount of pressure to seat properly for something so small.

Frsky receivers use the same connector on their antennas. That's another thing to check when range is a problem.