RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 programming dual ailerons. Any sage advice?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Default DX7 programming dual ailerons. Any sage advice?

On my latest build, I've decided to try programming dual aileron servos - one servo for each side.

I'm using the Gear channel for the left aileron. I've figured out a mix that sort of works:

Code:
AILE -> GEAR   ON
RATE:  +100%
       +100%
SW:ON
OFFSET: -100
The problem with this setup is that the Tx still "sees" the gear channel. So if the Gear is set to 1, I'm golden. But if it gets flipped to 0, I'm as the left ailerons snap to full up. If this ever happens in the air, I've lost a plane.

The OrangeRx also has an AUX channel open, but I can't seem to get it to work.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Use the Aux channel and set the flaperon option to "on" Now you don't have to worry about losing a plane due to a switch being in the wrong position.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
Use the Aux channel and set the flaperon option to "on" Now you don't have to worry about losing a plane due to a switch being in the wrong position.
+1.. that's the only way to do it, you can then centre each aileron separately with sub trim and program in differential. The manual explains exactly how to do it, page 39

Steve
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
On my latest build, I've decided to try programming dual aileron servos - one servo for each side.

I'm using the Gear channel for the left aileron. I've figured out a mix that sort of works:

Code:
AILE -> GEAR   ON
RATE:  +100%
       +100%
SW:ON
OFFSET: -100
The problem with this setup is that the Tx still "sees" the gear channel. So if the Gear is set to 1, I'm golden. But if it gets flipped to 0, I'm as the left ailerons snap to full up. If this ever happens in the air, I've lost a plane.

The OrangeRx also has an AUX channel open, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Also be sure to use either mix 5 or mix 6 in the transmitter. These two mixes are the only two that allow the aileron trim button to equally operate the trim settings for both aileron servos.

If you really are stuck with using the gear channel on your orangeRX, you might try going to the DX7 settings for the gear servo, and adjust the travel for the gear servo in both directions to zero. Then check ALL switches on your DX7 transmitter with the sticks in all positions to make certain no other unwanted interactions exist.

FYI, I've set up my giant scale "Big Stick" with 2800 watts of power from the Hacker A60-16M motor with each aileron servo, and each flap servo to an individual servo channel on the AR7000 receiver. The extra aileron is on a aux channel, the extra flap is on the gear channel. The rudder and elevator are connected as usual to their standard channels. Took some fooling around, but everything works as required.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Also be sure to use either mix 5 or mix 6 in the transmitter.
If you set wing type the 'Flaperon' then you don't need to program any mix. The 'Flaperon' setting is specifically provided so you can operate ailerons off two channels, no logical reason I can think of not to use it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If you set wing type the 'Flaperon' then you don't need to program any mix. The 'Flaperon' setting is specifically provided so you can operate ailerons off two channels, no logical reason I can think of not to use it.
Good point
I was just to lazy to make up two "Y" harnesses for the two aileron and two flap servos. Also didn't need flapperons, since my two models have real flaps on them.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Actually you make a good point. i'm not sure exactly how or if you could use dual aileron channels set as flaperons AND have separate flaps. When programmed to flaperons the flap three position switch on the Tx operates the Flaperons, so the flaps would have to be worked of some other channel and another Tx switch. I'm sure there is a way round it but I've never used flaps so wouldn't know...

Steve
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Thinking through my own question.. I guess one way to do it would be to set the ailerons as flaperons, as per previous advice. then set up two mixes. One mix from Aux2 to Aux2 activated on Flap1, setting control throw to 50% (or whatever was desired). Then another mix between Aux2 and Aux2 activated on Flap2 which set Aux2 to 100% (or whatever).

So this way you have the flaps (connected to Aux2 via a y-lead) operating on the three position flap switch. Position 1 gives 50% flaps and position 2 gives 100%.. Then you have the option of also drooping the flaperons in conjunction with the flaps themselves, or not, as you wish.

Steve
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Alrighty. I switched it to Flaperons and everything seems to work great. Thanks! I was digging thru the int0rwebs last night for information, as the manual is generally terrible, and the solutions I found were all much more complicated than that. Some of them specifically said DO NOT USE FLAPERONS.

In any event, it seems sorted now. Thanks again, everyone.