Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Lipo bags to carry them to site

Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Lipo bags to carry them to site

For a couple of years now I have been using a small Cooler bag designed for a 6 pack of beer to carry my days LiPo's to flight site.

Despite the change of use from beer cool bag to Lipo's - you'd be surprised why ... These bags have foil liners that will at least give you a chance to throw bag out of window or away from you if needed. They are not fire-proof or fire-resistant in the classification sense but they will at least delay it enough. So please do not think I am suggesting they replace LiPo Sacks.

But few days ago - I was in Supermarket and they had a special offer on cooler bags suitable to take a bunch of bottles ... twice the height of my existing bag.

With same construction. So I picked up one and brought it home ...

Now here's the real kicker ... I have 3 Lipo Sacks that basically I put in corner and never used ... yeh I know .. silly billy and all that ...

This new bag ... guess what ... the LiPo sacks are an exact fit !! I now have three sacks inside the bag ...

Removing the main reason I didn't use them ... I like convenience carry style .. LiPo sacks have no handles or strap .. NOW I have a bag that sorts that a treat.

Why three bags ?

1. Charged packs
2. Used packs
3. Packs that show they are maybe past their best life !

or I can split to different packs ...

1. 2S
2. 3S
3. 4S / 5S

or whatever ...

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Great idea. I use an Army surplus ammo box. Not explosion proof but will contain. I have it vented. Apparently these lipos can ignite without o2?

Lipo fire in the news here. Guy charging in his garage goes inside home to take a nap. Bad decision. $4 million estate burns to the ground. Guy and wife get out. Wife not happy.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Great idea. I use an Army surplus ammo box. Not explosion proof but will contain. I have it vented. Apparently these lipos can ignite without o2?

Lipo fire in the news here. Guy charging in his garage goes inside home to take a nap. Bad decision. $4 million estate burns to the ground. Guy and wife get out. Wife not happy.
I read the story ... but as always - various factors are not reported ...

Let me suggest something ....

Todays world is full of Litigious crap ... HS&E regulations .... rules that assume all are stupid ... and here we are with LiPo's that are liable to devastate a home ....

Something does not add up. Forgive my reasoning ...

I have watched videos of LiPo's bursting into flames ... and near all I can identify a malpractice to cause it. The best is the guy with the Tx that went up ... that was a classic stupid act !

Please do not think I am saying LiPo's are not to be respected ... far from it ... treat with great respect and caution.

I think there is more to the guys loss of his 'mansion' than meets initial eye.

Sorry ... but years of court arguments makes me wary ...

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Back to the Cool Bag ........

I think allied with LiPo sacks has to be a good idea ?
Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Actually, the "metalized" liner of the cool bag provides about as much fire protection as chrome Monokote. (None... zero...zip... not a "dang" bit)

With the LiPo sacks for fire resistance/delay you do end up with something that would theoretically give you seconds to notice smoke and give it a good toss out the window.

But reality:
The chance of a disconnected LiPo that has been at rest more than 1 hr spontaneously bursting into flame is extremely low. As long as you don't provide a means for the pack(s) to short out they should not be a problem regardless of what container you use.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Actually, the "metalized" liner of the cool bag provides about as much fire protection as chrome Monokote. (None... zero...zip... not a "dang" bit)
Actually you would be surprised ... its not (None... zero...zip... not a "dang" bit) ... because for simple fact it is not a plasticised foil ... it is usually based in similar to kitchen foil.

With the LiPo sacks for fire resistance/delay you do end up with something that would theoretically give you seconds to notice smoke and give it a good toss out the window.
Is that not my point ?

But reality:
The chance of a disconnected LiPo that has been at rest more than 1 hr spontaneously bursting into flame is extremely low. As long as you don't provide a means for the pack(s) to short out they should not be a problem regardless of what container you use.
Actually an abused LiPo in theory could sit and later cause problem ... so I would not be so bold to discount such ...

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 06:01 PM
birdDog
Charging....

From what I understand, simply puling the gasket from the lid of a steel ammo can will suffice in venting it. I like the durability of the cans but am always spooked when closing the potentially wire shearing lid.

Nice set you got going there Nigel.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Personally I am against Ammo Cans ...

A contained conflagration can in fact lead to a bigger catastrophe than one that is limited.

Lets say you notice your ammo can is getting warm ... you disturb it and BOOM it lets off ... you may be the victim ...

My bag will let you know that anything is not right ... I disturb it ... nothing bad happens - I get to throw out window ...

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Someone ran the test a few years back (not sure if I can find the Youtube) of a sealed ammo can and forcing a 3S 2000 mah to blow inside while the can was sealed.

Didn't even bulge the can.

But they also did it with the lid unlatched and it tossed a rock that was on the lid to help it build pressure before the lid moved.

So, there will be some pack size that could blow the ammo can apart.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Someone ran the test a few years back (not sure if I can find the Youtube) of a sealed ammo can and forcing a 3S 2000 mah to blow inside while the can was sealed.

Didn't even bulge the can.

But they also did it with the lid unlatched and it tossed a rock that was on the lid to help it build pressure before the lid moved.

So, there will be some pack size that could blow the ammo can apart.
Problem is - people will want to open the can to see if all is finished / ok ... before its cooled down.

Its all well and good testing ... but humans are humans ...

Can you imagine ... a Lipo goes of in the can all sealed up. you go up to can and flick the latch ... hope your face is not in 'firing line' ....

If you are going to use an ammo can ... please don't seal it ... latch it but let it TELL YOU there's a problem inside ...

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I took the seals off on mine and have drilled some vent holes.

Have lipo bags but don't really like them. Not bad for taking a couple of lipos to field.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 AM
rcfuns

just come across this post, I would like to recommend Hobbymate lipo safe bag that I bought one from amazon.com, it is really the best quality lipo storage bag

https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYMATE-Bat...+bag+fireproof