Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Eflite Viper nose gear

Old 10-02-2020, 07:27 PM
  #1  
jangodog
Member
Thread Starter
 
jangodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Odense Denmark
Posts: 137
Default Eflite Viper nose gear

Hi. i want a more sturdy front retract then the one in my Viper with a thicker pin at least 4-5mm. Can't find any info on this one for 80mm edf's?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-flite-E...id=22035907329
I know some modding is necessary but i wish they would put som specs on ther products.
jangodog is offline  
Old 10-03-2020, 09:14 PM
  #2  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,756
Default

Why are you only looking at E-Flite brand ? The retract is a standard steerable unit that's available branded and unbranded ...... many being much cheaper than the one you linked to.

But one factor that you will not change - the overall unit size ... if you keep to the E-Flite size retract overall size - the pin will be same ... it is unlikely to be larger diameter. To have larger diameter - you most likely will have to go up in overall retract unit size - and that means heavier and need to cut fuselage to fit.

One way to reduce damage such as bent leg, is to fit a sprung leg to the pin .... a trailing arm leg would look fine on an EDF jet like Viper.
solentlife is online now  
Old 10-04-2020, 11:36 AM
  #3  
jangodog
Member
Thread Starter
 
jangodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Odense Denmark
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Why are you only looking at E-Flite brand ? The retract is a standard steerable unit that's available branded and unbranded ...... many being much cheaper than the one you linked to.

But one factor that you will not change - the overall unit size ... if you keep to the E-Flite size retract overall size - the pin will be same ... it is unlikely to be larger diameter. To have larger diameter - you most likely will have to go up in overall retract unit size - and that means heavier and need to cut fuselage to fit.


One way to reduce damage such as bent leg, is to fit a sprung leg to the pin .... a trailing arm leg would look fine on an EDF jet like Viper.
i already have a trailing front gear on my Viper. I flew and that bend too. Now i put the
5mm pin in the trunion instead and will fly later this mont. True i can get other brands
then Eflite and did get another retract with a 4.1mm pin at MotionRC. I’ll try the “homemade” 5mm in the Eflite retract first before the 4.1 from MotionRC.
jangodog is offline  
Old 10-04-2020, 09:44 PM
  #4  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,636
Default

I'm of the opinion that it is not a good idea to have a stronger pin. My reason is that if you land 'hard' you need something to give so that it doesn't rip the gear out of the plane. Hence the replaceable pins.
As with all trike gear aircraft when you land you should hold the nose up and touch down on the rear 'mains' first. That is why they are called 'mains'. It takes practice but the nose gear does not suffer anywhere near the punishment.
I see so many touching down nose first or all 3 at once and the end result is always bent nose gear.
CG plays an important part when landing trike gear equipped planes. Nose heavy and you are looking for trouble during flare and overloading the nose gear. CG location is just behind the main gear. The plane should rotate easily if you put some pressure down on the tail. If it is hard to push the tail down, then the CG is too far forward and the nose gear will suffer every time.
Anyway I hope you find what you are looking for.
Panther is offline  
Old 10-05-2020, 07:29 AM
  #5  
jangodog
Member
Thread Starter
 
jangodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Odense Denmark
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I'm of the opinion that it is not a good idea to have a stronger pin. My reason is that if you land 'hard' you need something to give so that it doesn't rip the gear out of the plane. Hence the replaceable pins.
As with all trike gear aircraft when you land you should hold the nose up and touch down on the rear 'mains' first. That is why they are called 'mains'. It takes practice but the nose gear does not suffer anywhere near the punishment.
I see so many touching down nose first or all 3 at once and the end result is always bent nose gear.
CG plays an important part when landing trike gear equipped planes. Nose heavy and you are looking for trouble during flare and overloading the nose gear. CG location is just behind the main gear. The plane should rotate easily if you put some pressure down on the tail. If it is hard to push the tail down, then the CG is too far forward and the nose gear will suffer every time.
Anyway I hope you find what you are looking for.
I see your point on better landings /flare/CG. I got trailing link on all three gears now and will try flying later this month. Thank’s to all of you
For your inputs.
jangodog is offline  
Old 10-05-2020, 10:02 PM
  #6  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,756
Default

CG location is just behind the main gear......


Sorry - I must disagree with that. If you have the CoG BEHIND the mains - the model will tip on its tail without you touching it. The mains should be BEHIND the CoG but only just enough to allow the model to sit on all wheels on the ground ... but still allow model to rotate on take-off.

I agree that landing nose wheel first will usually end up with bent nose leg ... but it also happens when landing mains first as the speed drops - the nose bangs down.... usually when landing at minimum airspeed. Landing with a slightly higher airspeed allows a touch down to 'flow' into all wheels on ground after mains touch.
solentlife is online now  
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 PM
  #7  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,636
Default

Hmmm OK. I'll stick with what I said. Remembering when it is fuelled up the CG moves forward.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201006_072224.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	188258  
Panther is offline  
Old 10-06-2020, 07:27 AM
  #8  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,636
Default

You are right Solentlife, sorry. I was going off the one I just built (Calmato) The CG should normally be just in front of the Mains. I always try to land on the mains first. It just becomes natural after you do it for a while. With my Trojan it is very easy to do. I haven't flown the Calmato yet. It may be harder to get right as I have a very big heavy engine in it and it is quite nose heavy. Trying to decide it I should put some weight in the tail as I can't move the battery packs back any further. I have some sheet lead I can play with.
Panther is offline  
Old 10-06-2020, 01:24 PM
  #9  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,756
Default

No worries ....... in fact one of my models sits on its tail when the LiPo is not in it ! But once loaded - the CoG is just infront of mains.
solentlife is online now  
Old 10-06-2020, 08:47 PM
  #10  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,636
Default

I have screwed some lead onto my tail on the Calmato and you can just make it sit on the tail if you push it down now. When it is full of fuel it will be nose heavy according to their CG position so I reckon I have it just right. Not pretty but you can't see it when it is sitting on its' wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201007_054125.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	188259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201007_054143.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	188260  
Panther is offline  
Old 10-07-2020, 12:16 PM
  #11  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,756
Default

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have screwed some lead onto my tail on the Calmato and you can just make it sit on the tail if you push it down now. When it is full of fuel it will be nose heavy according to their CG position so I reckon I have it just right. Not pretty but you can't see it when it is sitting on its' wheels.
As an old Fuel Flyer (I still have Glow and Gasoline today ....) I always balanced mine at 1/2tank so on take-off I was 'safe' and on landing I had a touch more flare capability ! but main flight was on CoG.

Larger models I balanced empty as the tank actually did not make such a huge difference in such models.
solentlife is online now  
Old 10-07-2020, 08:30 PM
  #12  
Panther
Super Contributor
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,636
Default

All going well I will give it a try this Saturday.
Panther is offline  
Old 03-04-2021, 06:44 PM
  #13  
jangodog
Member
Thread Starter
 
jangodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Odense Denmark
Posts: 137
Default

Any suggestions on how to glue the Viper nose back on without adding too much weight? I'll post some pics showing the cracks.
I did cut some thin alu pieces to cover the cracks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	188387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	188388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3393.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	885.6 KB
ID:	188389  
jangodog is offline  
Old 03-04-2021, 08:09 PM
  #14  
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 12,756
Default

PU Glue ..... (Gorilla Glue).

Basically make the cracks into V channels and then use the PU glue on the joint faces and to fill the V ...... tape it up to keep the PU roughly to shape and fix all straight. Once foamed and cured - you can then sand / cut back flush and paint.
PU Glue gives you a strong joint - but at similar weight to foam.
solentlife is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
747
Beginners
3
07-22-2013 09:04 PM
747
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
2
07-21-2013 03:57 AM
p3arljam
Warbird Electrics
1
02-09-2013 11:30 PM
hayofstacks
Crash and Safety Forum
0
03-05-2012 12:07 AM
chewykab
Foamies
2
10-31-2011 03:43 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: Eflite Viper nose gear


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09598 seconds with 17 queries