Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

E-Flite Super Airliner modifications & reviews

Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Copterjim

Default E-Flite Super Airliner modifications & reviews

I have been monitoring the build thread by firemanbill with interest. Still waiting on you to glass that thing bill so I'll know wether it's worth it when mine arrives. I think I have read every thread on the net about this bird.

The intent of this thread is to put all the mods in one place for those of us who have just discovered this bird. So far I have seen retracts and lighting systems. If you have a Super or one of Ming's windriders that you have modded, please post it here.

I intend to glass mine and add retracts if the feedback I receive indicates that the ship has enough power. I intend to power this craft with the Align 3700kv or 3550 kv 430LF and the Align 35A esc's with 2 TP 3s 2100's. Any suggestions or setup info and weights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Copterjim; 10-11-2007 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added reviews to this thread to hear what people think of this plane
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Copterjim

Doesn't anyone have any mods for this plane? There has to be more than one person that has added retracts. Someone mentioned putting audio on their so the "passengers" start screaming when the plane is inverted. How about one where the wheels chirp when the plane touches down. What about split flaps or thrust reversers? I know there is more creativity than this on this site. Let's see some of it please......
Old 09-15-2007, 04:11 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

All of those would be really cool! Especially the passengers screaming!

I haven't done anymods on mine. On my first one I toyed with the idea of making a KC-10 out of it. I had the tail motor mocked up and ready to go on. I wanted to have it done intime for seff but didn't get the third main gear in the center of the fuse figured out quite right.

So instead i just repainted it. In the Oceanic World Air livery... you know, the one from the tv show Lost!

Crashed it on the first flight after I painted it up! Too weird...

I think I'm going to leave this one as is:o
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	41072  
Old 09-15-2007, 04:17 AM
Copterjim

That's too funny. Now if it was on an island I would really be afraid. I don't want to mod mine too much, retracts I think are a must though. Glassing it may be too much for it but it sure would be nice if it didn't look like a convenience store coffee cup.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah I agree with that that. I used to not be bothered by the foamy look but now that I have a few covered balsa planes they really look cheap.

How do you think the retracts will work. The wing seem awfully thin where the main gear attach. I want to do it too but with that and the fact that those two set of 6 wheels for the mains seems to take up most of the center of the belly. Seems like it would really weaken the structural integrity in that area.

Do you have a link to the one that was done before?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 AM
Copterjim

Here is the link for the retracts and a lenghty forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...532467&page=10

Also here is one with lights
http://rjcable.com/HarryAir_Lights.wmv
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've seen the "Harry Air" with lights before. it sure does look realistic.

I might try that one. The retracts seem a bit more of a challenge than I'm looking for... too many other projects going on at once!

Thanks for the link!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Copterjim

Yeah, the Harry Air looks sweet. He did a fabulous job with the lights. I believe he said they were made by a company called curtek. Here is another thread on the Super with retracts.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...496544&page=12

I am still trying to find out how much more one would weigh with .5 oz cloth and 3 coats WBPU.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Copterjim

I changed the title of this thread because I would also like to hear what people think of this plane.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Copterjim

Anyone know how thing will land with the ailerons drooped about 15 deg?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Copterjim View Post
Anyone know how thing will land with the ailerons drooped about 15 deg?

tried it... didn't like it... withe ailerons being outboard on the wings the way they are trying make them into flaperons want to make it tip stall like crazy.

If you want to do flaps they need to be inboard near the fuse
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Copterjim

Thanks Bill. I guess that idea is out. I was going to put flaps on it but the inboard wing section is so small I didn't think it would be worth the trouble. I think I have settled on the Hyperion 1919 04M as the motor to power this beast. I plan on using the Hyperion Titan 35A ESC's also. These ESC's have switching BEC's so that should solve the BEC problem I have read so much about.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Copterjim

Well the glass is laid down on the wing so there's no turning back. I laid down the glass with West Systems epoxy resin. I am undecided if I am going to use the resin to fill the weave in the cloth or if I am going to use WBPU for that because it's lighter. I need the weight of the wing in raw kit form so I can compare it with mine. My mini scale would not go that high and the one I am using is analog and hard to read clearly. The wing is very hard just with one coat of the west systems on it. When I finish the wing I will post the weight prior to paint. Also anyone who has applied WBPU over epoxy I would like your comments please.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Copterjim

I posted this over in RCG so I will post it here as well.

The stock wing with ailerons is 356g.

My wing is currently 363g without ailerons or gear stubs and that is only one coat of resin. I still have to fill the weave. I don't know how much the second coat will add but the weight of the cloth will not be added again. I used 3/4 oz cloth which is 21.2 grams per yard so there's probably 15-17 grams worth of weight in the wing in cloth alone. There are still some areas where I can shave off weight. As I said the ailerons will probably get lighter because the covering on them is so thick. The large ply panel in the wing can probably stand some lightening holes. I may change the plastic hinges to easy hinges. Although I may add all this weight back in with lights if the spar in the wing is carbon tube and not solid rod.

Here are the control surface weights as they come stock and with the hinges still attached:
L Aileron - 18g
R Aileron - 14.5g
L Elevator - 12.8g
R Elevator - 18.1g

As for the things I have learned so far:
Drywall sandpaper screens work the best for the initial sanding as they do not clog with paint and they remove the mold marks really well. I think they sell these in two grits 220 and something coarser. Use the 220 anything else would be too coarse on the foam.

A rough grit sanding sponge is good for cleaning up the glass after it has cured just be careful not to sand through the cloth.

When glassing I always apply resin to the surface prior to putting down the cloth because it provides superior adhesion...well I tried one panel without wetting the wing first and I liked this method if you are working by yourself. The cloth is thin enough that it lets the resin penetrate it. This is the easier way if you are working by yourself. If you can conjure up an extra set of hands you could wet out the wing then lower the cloth down while holding all four corners of the piece you are applying. This would work very well.

Use soft bristle brushes so they will not pull on the cloth so much, the thicker bristles tend to distort the weave on the cloth.

Using a squegee to pull off excess resin and to help stick the cloth down is a must, do not skip this step.

I did my wing in 7 panels; I started with the bottom center because it is handled so much, next I did the two panels out to the nacelles. I did mine like this because these two panels are the hardest. next were the two outer panels. Finally the wing is finished of by doing the two top panels.
I glassed right over the openings for the servos etc. these will be opened up later. I also intend to make a 1/4 inch hole in the underside (high pressure side) of the wing that goes to the ESC cutout so they get ram air cooling. I have done this on my unicorn and really like the results.

This should be enough to chew on for a while....

Jim
Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Copterjim

Now if I could just get a lightweight, reliable retract that doesn't cost $$$$
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Copterjim

A few photos. This is just after fabric application and the weave still has to be filled but you get the idea. Notice the lack of those little mold marks. Still alot to be done though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	44281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	44282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	44283  
Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Copterjim

While I am thinking about it, Horizon Hobby has excellent customer service. I called them because the trailing edge on one of my fan blades was nicked. I explained to the tech rep that I wasn't an engineer but it may be a problem at upwards of 40,000 RPM. They didn't bat an eye, they just said they would send a new set of blades. I told them that I wasn't in a hurry either as I still had alot of building to do. Well...about 3 days later I received a package from Horizon. It contained TWO fan blades and the plastic shrouds with the ply attached. That's pretty good service in my opinon, so I had to pass the word.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That's good to hear Jim. That wing is looking good!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Copterjim

Thanks Bill, I put the second coat of resin on the bottom today and I will post more pics when I am finished with it. I can tell you that it's going to be as smooth as a baby's bottom. I thought I might put the wiring in the carbon spar for the nav lights but I may skip it because of weight. I really wish I had a good scale, mine only goes up to 300g. I am using a kitchen scale for now and it is terrible.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
jbflier
John

There is a thread over on RCU/Electric jets that has a video of the E-flight Airliner with retracts. It is very cool...............
Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
SuperAirlinerfreak101
RC PILOT

I Just Got My Airliner For Christmas And I Have A Question Do We Have To Solder The Esc Cables ?

Also If I Take Of The Decals The Airliner Comes With Wouldnt That Pull Of The Paint ?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Good luck super it seems this thread went dead.I will ask your question to a guy at my field tomorrow.Or you need to ask fireman bill at a different thread
Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by SuperAirlinerfreak101 View Post
I Just Got My Airliner For Christmas And I Have A Question Do We Have To Solder The Esc Cables ?

Also If I Take Of The Decals The Airliner Comes With Wouldnt That Pull Of The Paint ?

Yes it will indeed pull off the paint if you remove the decals. At least most of it anyway.

Solder what on the ESC? You must solder a battery connector and then some sort of bullet connectors for the motors. You can solder the ESC wires directly to the motor wires if you wish but it is not necessary if you use connector between them.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I've been out of town for a few days.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 AM
SuperAirlinerfreak101
RC PILOT

thats alright, firemanbill, thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 AM
SuperAirlinerfreak101
RC PILOT

oh, copterjim nice job on the airliner.

Quick Reply: E-Flite Super Airliner modifications & reviews

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14473 seconds with 15 queries