Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

airfield skytrainer nose gear issue

Old 10-23-2011, 02:26 AM
chewykab

Default airfield skytrainer nose gear issue

Hey guys..

So I bought an airfield skytrainer off of nitroplanes.com about a month ago... few close calls... considering I'm new at this and this is my first plane I think I had good luck... however I took the plane out for a flight today... it was deffinitely too windy but I decided to go for it anyway... take off went well, flight itself not too bad wind threw it around like crazy... same with approach... right before touchdown the plane stalls (flying against wind) and takes a dive with the nose gear taking the hit... didn't break but bent backwards scarring the fuse a bit... the rod that holds the wheel and goes into the shaft with allan screws gave way... other than that plane was in one piece....

Any of you guys know what a good replacement for that rod would be?? Something that would be a little stronger maybe.... I really like the skirts around the wheel and would rather not swap the whole gear out.

Thx in advance
Chewy
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 PM
air4prs

Default Cessna Tail dragger

Save a lot of frustration and make it into a tail dragger. Also change the rudder servo to a metal gear servo and add a wheel to the tail.

Those trike landing gears are nothing but a lot of trouble, much better plane with a tail dragger setup.

I changed mine after beefing up the front gear and still had a bunch of trouble. Of course, i fly off grass which is a killer on trike gears.

Paul
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
scoote621

Originally Posted by air4prs View Post
Save a lot of frustration and make it into a tail dragger. Also change the rudder servo to a metal gear servo and add a wheel to the tail.

Those trike landing gears are nothing but a lot of trouble, much better plane with a tail dragger setup.

I changed mine after beefing up the front gear and still had a bunch of trouble. Of course, i fly off grass which is a killer on trike gears.

Paul
+1

I have two of these planes the nose gear does not hold up well and the stock servo is not really strong enough to use the steering on grass fields. I turned one of mine into a tail dragger and it looks like a taylor craft set up now.

The other I removed the steering pushrod from the rudder servo and modified the swing arm horn and used the set screw and some expoxy to make it a fixed nose gear...the rudder actually has enough force to make the plane steer with fixed gear. I would suggest using plastic, thin ply and epoxy to really reinforce that nose gear as much as you can. this is the weakest part of this plane bar none. but this plane is a joy to fly, can handle slow flat turns at very low speed...i love this plane set to max throws on all surfaces really makes it fun!

Don't give up on this plane the aggravation of fixing it is def worth it.