Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

90mm EDF F-18 by Blitz RC (Bannana Hobby)

Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
XWind

Default 90mm EDF F-18 by Blitz RC (Bannana Hobby)

Anyone had any luck with this one? It looks really great in the air from what I can tell. I was thinking about getting the stripped down version for $160, but didnt want to throw another $300 on the motor, edf, servos etc. After all, it is made of foam. Anyone know where I can get a good setup for this for a reasonable price? Ive checked alot of websites and seems like its just better to go with the plug n play version and spare the headaches of installing whats required. Any thought my fellow flyers?

Check out the site
www.bananahobby.com

Last edited by XWind; 05-19-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:56 AM
gotta_fly

I have see that plane also & I am thinking about taking the plundge. But I have seen that there is a lot of bad remarks about BH's customer service.
Plane looks great!!
Maybe some other folks that have dealt with BH or have the plane could jump in here and add their comments.
Ed
Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
XWind

Talking

Yeah, I havent had any response on this plane. I wonder if its a sign of a bad product or company. Its a little pricey but man, you get a 90mm with retractables. Im still looking at it.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
gotta_fly

XW,
Check out this link for the F-18. It might be a better solution, but it is even more $$$ when you consider the cost between to two kits.
Ed

http://parkpilots.com/f18.html
Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
XWind

Ed, thanks for the site, but did you see the video. Im not sure what they put in that plane but it was seriously underpowered. It seemed like it was just ready to fall out of the sky at any moment. My SuperCub flies faster than that.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

The biggest complaint folks have with the Starmax 90mm F-18 (which is what the Banana Hobby one is, developed by Andy Chen) is that the retracts are terrible. There is a new version of this plane coming out soon that should have much improved retracts. If I was in the market for it, I would wait on version 2 of this item.

As for the power system, it's a tough call. I believe the new version is also supposed to have a motor that will handle a 6S pack without problems. If I was buying this jet, I think I'd go ahead and get the stock power system but not the lipo and just supply my own battery.

That or I'd go airframe only and talk to Dave @ LightFlightRC.com and see what he could hook me up with in the way of an ARC motor and good fan match for the plane.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

While I hate to just offload you to another forum, if no one here has any real experience to share in regards to this plane, then you can always check out the thread on RCG, as well. It's got close to 1,500 responses has lots of individual reviews and information: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936603
Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 AM
XWind

Thanks Perl.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 AM
XWind

Ok, bannana hobby is now pre-selling its new version and to be available June 11th. From what I read they have really improved this bird, all the way from retractables to wing spars to even adding a pilot. They claim even 130+mph, whoa! This one very well might be worth the money. We shall see.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 AM
gotta_fly

XW,
Have you spoken with anyone there?
Ed
Old 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

We have had the Version 2 in stock in Australia for a while now, it is a big improvement over the original, the retracts are better but the mounting points still need modification with plywood plating to spread the load out much further than stock. Two large spars run right through the fuselage into the wings, all thats needed is the batt compartment to be cleaned up and 1mm ply sheeted from front to rear on either side, and a spar down the underneath to strengthen the nose to main part of the fuse.

We flew one on Sunday with a wemo Midifan and HET 600-42 setup on 6 cells, 1200 watts, awesome smooth flyer, very stable and sat perfectly in the air, quite quick too, close to 100mph. Was set up without undercarriage. I am about to build a Jolly Rogers one this week and do the undercarriage on it, hopefully will have video in 2 weeks time. Will be building it to handle grass, thats the big challenge!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Thanks for the info, ERC! So what do you think about Banana Hobby's claims of 130mph speeds on the stock system? Always seems a little iffy to me. That's pretty stinkin' fast for such a big airframe.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
XWind

Yes, the info was very insightful. It sounds like it has improved quite a bit. Man, the guys on RCGroups totally destoryed this plane when it first came out. Im not sure I would want to be in the shoes of that guy "Pete" from Banana Hobby. But it seems like he solved most if not all the problems. I think that this plane was basically intended to be a smooth, stable aircraft whilst also having the characteristics of a fast mover(jet). If anyone has any vids of the new version in action please post.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 PM
XWind

Hey Extreme, if you successfully have geared one out to handle take off and land in grass please let me know. Post the pics if you have any. I may need the setup as well, I am having a difficult time finding a place to launch mine. Oh by the way, I ordered the original ARF version (Blue Angel) and it should be here tomorrow. I figured I can make it better and do the improvements myself for alot less money.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Another option you can explore with this is to get the bare airframe, then toss an RCLander 90mm unit in there. Only $180 from Electric Jet Factory.

I've been looking at this plane, but have not yet had the nerve to order anything from BH.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
madatme

dont buy the bananahobby f-18 90mm, the wings are flimsy and mnie blew off
Old 10-10-2009, 08:36 AM
koolaid535

you have to buy the airframe only, I flew mine today and it flew great,
I love this jet,
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by koolaid535 View Post
you have to buy the airframe only, I flew mine today and it flew great,
I love this jet,
I'm glad it did, after about a month with talking with them they sold me a arf kit at there cost so I used the same power system, hitec servo's, stronger control links and put allot of carbon in the wings so I hope it works ok
did you have a squirrelly take off ? mine did really bad, seemed to fly ok until the wings blew off then crashed tail first. I wondered how long the motor will last with a 6s, let me know with your progress, I have not flown mine yet because a striker got my forefinger realley bad. Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 PM
koolaid535

Originally Posted by madatme View Post
I'm glad it did, after about a month with talking with them they sold me a arf kit at there cost so I used the same power system, hitec servo's, stronger control links and put allot of carbon in the wings so I hope it works ok
did you have a squirrelly take off ? mine did really bad, seemed to fly ok until the wings blew off then crashed tail first. I wondered how long the motor will last with a 6s, let me know with your progress, I have not flown mine yet because a striker got my forefinger realley bad. Thanks
I have a align 500l motor, and it took me a couple of tries to get it to track down the runway, but today was a good flight, im using 6s 4000mah 20c battery, the align is designed for a 6s,
Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
madatme

did you use the stock fan/housing
how munch control throw measurment/deflection did you use
kinda nervous, dont want to ditch it again
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Another option you can explore with this is to get the bare airframe, then toss an RCLander 90mm unit in there. Only $180 from Electric Jet Factory.
Been there done that Not a good idea, the lander fan is too heavy and requires a lot of work to get the CG right (which is further forward than factory to fly nice).

Midifan with 600-37-2 on 6 cells gets the F18 up around 100mph and it flies superbly like this, hand launch is easy too and it stays pretty light.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Originally Posted by XWind View Post
Hey Extreme, if you successfully have geared one out to handle take off and land in grass please let me know. Post the pics if you have any. I may need the setup as well, I am having a difficult time finding a place to launch mine. Oh by the way, I ordered the original ARF version (Blue Angel) and it should be here tomorrow. I figured I can make it better and do the improvements myself for alot less money.
You need to make new mounts for the undercarriage from ply strips, and then lock up the front leg completely, shim and locktite every fitting to remove as much slop as possible. It can do it but the grass needs to be fairly smooth otherwise she wanders and tips over due to the narrow rear wheel tracks.

Photo shows where to put the wood in the mains, you can make the strips wider, deeper etc this is just a rought guide. The front is very similar, just requires time and a little thought to nut it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F18_ply_strip_position.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	111157  
Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 AM
koolaid535

did you use the stock fan/housing
how munch control throw measurment/deflection did you use
kinda nervous, dont want to ditch it again
Sorry for the late response, but yes im using the stock fan,
i have 30% expo on all surfaces, even on the nose wheel,
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by koolaid535 View Post
Sorry for the late response, but yes im using the stock fan,
i have 30% expo on all surfaces, even on the nose wheel,
Thanks for getting back, I did finally maiden the 2nd build last week and it flew pretty good excep for i had too much throw in the elevator which was 3/4 high and 1/2 low, the 1/2 low rate worked so much better so i will tame it down, take off was straight but the 3/4 throw was almost straight up, the other thing was the stock battery didn't last but 3 minutes with varing throttle so I had too belly land in the grass which went realley well and no damage
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
koolaid535

Thanks for getting back, I did finally maiden the 2nd build last week and it flew pretty good excep for i had too much throw in the elevator which was 3/4 high and 1/2 low, the 1/2 low rate worked so much better so i will tame it down, take off was straight but the 3/4 throw was almost straight up, the other thing was the stock battery didn't last but 3 minutes with varing throttle so I had too belly land in the grass which went realley well and no damage
I have to set my high and low rates. cause when i take off it is straight up as well, but it has to power so it don't stall, in all my edf i never go totally stock. i just about finished with my sapac L-39 composite now thats going to be fun to fly,
and on the Hornet the retracts will always be a problem unless you just kiss the runway for a landing.

Quick Reply: 90mm EDF F-18 by Blitz RC (Bannana Hobby)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12906 seconds with 13 queries