General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Keeping the Prop On!!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 AM
SilberIgel

Cool Keeping the Prop On!!

Any suggestions as to how to keep the prop from flying off my brushless?
I'm using a Himaxx motor with gear drive and the prop pulls itself off the driven shaft after a short time at full power. The prop is held on with a split collet clamp that compresses as you turn the prop spinner/nut down.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

don't mean to state the obvious but do you have the right size collet on it? Maybe try the next shaft size smaller or if that doesn't fit anothter one the same size you have now. It could have not been tight enough the first time it came off and that may have reamed it out a bit where it won't tighten up now.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Warden

Wow, that's usually a pretty tight fit. I'm thinking the collet must be too large for the shaft and it's not clamping down the way it should. If that's the case, you'd either have to get a smaller size collet/prop adapter OR widen the slit in the collet. A small file or cutting wheel on a dremel run up into the slot would widen the gap and allow the collet to tighten up more on the shaft. I don't think you could get a lot of adjustment out of widening the gap but it may be enough to hold the prop on.

By the way, that must be a real thrill having your prop fly off with the motor at full throttle!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:44 AM
darkside212
Super Contributor

maybe the prop is too "thin" where it pushes on the adapter? perhaps a washer/spacer to aid the prop in "pushing" the adapter tight
Old 04-12-2006, 03:47 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

does the spinner itself come off or does the whole assembly?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Does the spinner or the whole assmbly come off? If the whole thing comes off toghether is the spinner still tight on the prop?

sorry for the double post... dang cat decided to walk across the keyboard...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

This is a known problem with the prop adaptor that comes with the HiMaxx motor, evidently it's slightly oversized. Try an aftermarket prop adaptor and that should solve the problem.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
GNiessen
Control Freak

Threadlock can help. Put a thin coat of blue threadlock on the motor shaft and then slip on the prop adaptor. Allow to sit for at least 8 hours. Now the adaptor will no leave without a bit of work on your part, but you can still get it off if you need to.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Prop Slipping?

To SilberIgel, Welcome to Wattflyer! Another idea you might try is a "nut driver" for tightening. I find these give me a better grip and more torque. Metrics available in any auto parts store.
Ron
Old 04-12-2006, 02:39 PM
SilberIgel

Cool Prop Loss

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Does the spinner or the whole assmbly come off? If the whole thing comes off toghether is the spinner still tight on the prop?

sorry for the double post... dang cat decided to walk across the keyboard...
The whole dang thing wings off....prop, collet, & spinner/nut.

Yes, its an ugly thing. Fortunately, I was "running it up" on the ground at the time to test its security.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:41 PM
SilberIgel

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll re-think the attachement set up.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Try a smaller size then... that may fix you right up.

Welcome to WF by the way. I didn't notice you were new when I saw your first post. There's a lot of helpful folks around here so ask away!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Steve
Vermont Electric

Most folks throw away the Himax collet after they have the same experience you have had. If you're a beginner, use a prop adaptor, if you have more experience, use the old washer and nut mount, or get a different collet.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Stark Flyer

MPI sells a replacement shaft that is GWS compatible. Price is around $2.50. This allows you to use a nut on each side of the prop and a washer with a GWS spinner.

Dick
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 PM
SilberIgel

Smile

Well, maybe it was not tight enough on the first try. I re-set the prop and static tested it for about 3 minutes at full power. It hung right in there.

A word to the wise and not-so-wise. Wear safety glasses and don't get in line with the prop when running these things up!!! That prop came apart so fast it would have been in my face had I not been holding the Moth away and to my front.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey, glad you got it worked out! Enjoy...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:48 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I had this same exact problem with my Park 450BL and the supplied collet type adapter. I was using an eflite prop that came with the P-47D I was building. I gave up and used the set screw type that I bought when I ruined the last collet one that came with another motor.

I may have to go back and try to figure it out still. The collet adapter spun perfectly true. The set screw adapter is not quite centered on the motor shaft I guess because you can see it spin slightly untrue.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 AM
jonnyjetprop

This is why I like the collet adaptors. Check the size (3.2 mm doesn't fit a 3mm shaft), make sure that the nut part is not bottoming out on the screw part before the collet is tight and use a wrench on the back part of the collet when you tighten it.

John

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
I had this same exact problem with my Park 450BL and the supplied collet type adapter. I was using an eflite prop that came with the P-47D I was building. I gave up and used the set screw type that I bought when I ruined the last collet one that came with another motor.

I may have to go back and try to figure it out still. The collet adapter spun perfectly true. The set screw adapter is not quite centered on the motor shaft I guess because you can see it spin slightly untrue.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 AM
GallopingGhost

You might want to switch over to a prop saver of the proper size to fit the shaft. Prop savers have more than paid me back in more than props!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:32 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Good Ideas, I am going to go back and check the prop again. I do seem to remember that it was difficult to get down against the non-threaded part of the adapter, before putting the nut on. Maybe it is binding on the shaft and keeping the collet from squeezing properly like was mentioned. I also this I am going to swap out that prop anyway for something a little mellower for the plane, so that will be another test to.

It sure is nice to see that baby spin exactly on center. So i would like to be able to keep the stock adapter on.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM
olmod

collets wont grip a threaded shaft 100% cut the thread off. and make sure the brake is off.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:41 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by olmod View Post
collets wont grip a threaded shaft 100% cut the thread off. and make sure the brake is off.
It's hard to describe this. The motor shaft is not threaded. The adapter shaft is threaded part way to the base where the prop sits. That's the part I had a tough time gettign the prop over. Gonna drill it out to make sure it's 1/4" and try again.