Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Sliding canopy

Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
[email protected]

Default Sliding canopy

I'm making a model of the 1/8th scale Spitfire MkVb as used in the far east etc ..with the brown camoflage job.....

I would like some help with an idea. I want to have the cockpit area as a route for cooling airflow to escape.....My idea is to make the canopy slide (using a servo) so that I can vary the cooling effect...Winter closed, Summer open...sort of thing..

If anyone has come up with a reliable and successfull way of sliding a canopy back with a servo, (or any other way!) I would really like to hear from you..
Thanks in advance

Ray
Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Ray,
I saw this done a while back. The builder built balsa rails and a receiver rail on the canopy. He used a pull-push system at first, but found it didn't retract as far as he would like it too. He ended up changing over to a pull pull with pulley's. It was pretty intricate, but doable. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but it has been years ago.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Well, if it is just a seasonal thing, there's no need for a servo to open and close it twice a year.

I would just make some sort of channel system, and frame the bottom of your canopy so that it would slide in the groove.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Well, if it is just a seasonal thing, there's no need for a servo to open and close it twice a year.

I would just make some sort of channel system, and frame the bottom of your canopy so that it would slide in the groove.
Yeah I hear you, but if only our weather was so clear......I ran Nicads for years and they were VERY temperature dependent....which is where the idea first brewed , you are right it would be simpler, but I wnated to have a go anyway, and vary the cooling effect.....and of course there is always the /nice/ factor when you land and the hood slides back as you taxi in..:
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post
Ray,
I saw this done a while back. The builder built balsa rails and a receiver rail on the canopy. He used a pull-push system at first, but found it didn't retract as far as he would like it too. He ended up changing over to a pull pull with pulley's. It was pretty intricate, but doable. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but it has been years ago.
Hey no worries Mike, I appreciate the reply, I guess im just lazy and hoped that someone had already done the brain work ! ...mine is not that reliable these days !
Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Found this, which is similar, the guy has a sliding door on his DC-3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=sliding+door