Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #126
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Doug I know a fair bit about the AR636 and I think I can help you straighten out a few things and shine a light on the AR636 as I have 3 of them.

First problem I see, or I should say I do not see is any mention of the Program Application. You cannot just take a RX out of one plane and put it into another plane without changing the Settings in the Program.

Example RX Orientation. Th eRRX needs to know how it is oriented in the plane so it knows which axis is which, up, down. right, left. You also have to tel it what Wing Type, Tail Type, single or double ailerons, Rates, sub-trim, channel assignment, and what channel you will be using for Flight Modes.

Once that is done you then need to set up the 3 Flight Modes. Last but very important is the TX setup. You start with a New Model, and leave everything in Default including Rates leaving them at 100%. I will say once the AR636 is tuned up and dialed in makes a beast of a plane into a kitten. Once a month we have a Fun Fly and one of the contest is Thumbs-Off where we make passes down the runway with Thumbs-Off and see who can go the longest without have to touch the controls. I win every time once straight and level I can let go and the plane will fly itself out of sight if you do not turn it around. Flip the FM to 3D, and the plane will hold any attitude I put it in. I can literally put the plane in a Hoover, set my radio down on the ground, and take a drink from by beer can.

Originally Posted by Doug 14 View Post
1 . Is my older ar636 out of my sukhoi even suited for this plane?( I watched a vid someone saying it wasnt)
It will work fine.

2. is my older dx7s suited for this rx and plane ?
Yes, all that is required is a 6-Channel radio. Only Trick is you setup the Aux or Gear Channel as your Flight Mode Channel and assign it to a 3-Way Switch so you can select which of the 3 Flight Modes.

3. after binding (bind plug left if ,assuming that's safe mode active ) my gear switch and flap switch (1,2) only give me any changes . gear 0 flap 1 is low rates safe I assume but virtually no elevator, gear 1 flap 2 gives my full rates but also active gyro adjustments .
You do not have your RX and TX setup correctly

4. is there more to setting up this combo I'm not doing right ? having virtually no elevator seems wrong to me . I took it for 1st flight tonight in calm conditions plane behaved really strange , crashed hard several times in full rate mode so i switched to gear 0 flap 1 with almost no elevator or alie but rudder was good, flew just like my super cub but faster . I ran a full pack flawless and even a perfect landing even though both my rear landing gear were held on with elastic bands.lol while in high rate mode it seemed like everything was wrong . spiraled down and crashed even while I was trying to correct with full elevator. made no sense and I almost gave up , once I tried safe mode I flew perfect and I'm glad I didn't give up is there something I can do to gain confidence with higher rates?
should I install my ar 600 instead ?
Again you have a setup issue. Rates are not controlled or programmed into your TX. All those functions reside in the RX. You just need a dumb basic 6-channel radio set to default. By Default I mean just like any new model. Wing and tail normal with just one aileron servo even if the plane uses 2 servos for ailerons. All that gets sorted out in the RX setup.

To wrap up you can move the AR636 around in different planes with no problem. In the Application you can program and save as many models as you want. When you switch planes, just load its file. Nothing changes in the TX. Works so good I even let other pilots fly my planes with AR636 without a Buddy Box and no SAFE turned on. Where ever you point it, it goes there on rails.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #127
Doug 14

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Doug I know a fair bit about the AR636 and I think I can help you straighten out a few things and shine a light on the AR636 as I have 3 of them.

First problem I see, or I should say I do not see is any mention of the Program Application. You cannot just take a RX out of one plane and put it into another plane without changing the Settings in the Program.

Example RX Orientation. Th eRRX needs to know how it is oriented in the plane so it knows which axis is which, up, down. right, left. You also have to tel it what Wing Type, Tail Type, single or double ailerons, Rates, sub-trim, channel assignment, and what channel you will be using for Flight Modes.

Once that is done you then need to set up the 3 Flight Modes. Last but very important is the TX setup. You start with a New Model, and leave everything in Default including Rates leaving them at 100%. I will say once the AR636 is tuned up and dialed in makes a beast of a plane into a kitten. Once a month we have a Fun Fly and one of the contest is Thumbs-Off where we make passes down the runway with Thumbs-Off and see who can go the longest without have to touch the controls. I win every time once straight and level I can let go and the plane will fly itself out of sight if you do not turn it around. Flip the FM to 3D, and the plane will hold any attitude I put it in. I can literally put the plane in a Hoover, set my radio down on the ground, and take a drink from by beer can.

It will work fine.

Yes, all that is required is a 6-Channel radio. Only Trick is you setup the Aux or Gear Channel as your Flight Mode Channel and assign it to a 3-Way Switch so you can select which of the 3 Flight Modes.

You do not have your RX and TX setup correctly

Again you have a setup issue. Rates are not controlled or programmed into your TX. All those functions reside in the RX. You just need a dumb basic 6-channel radio set to default. By Default I mean just like any new model. Wing and tail normal with just one aileron servo even if the plane uses 2 servos for ailerons. All that gets sorted out in the RX setup.

To wrap up you can move the AR636 around in different planes with no problem. In the Application you can program and save as many models as you want. When you switch planes, just load its file. Nothing changes in the TX
wow that's a lot of info !
I did read a lot of that stuff before posting and it just seemed out of my range of knowledge so I was looking for a fast easy solution , luckily I have 7 spektrum rx to chose from and the ar600 was the most basic. I figure start there , see if I can manage , then dig deeper into fine tuning the more complicated equipment . after getting comfortable flying something faster and more agile then my super cub I'm sure I will be looking for a new challenge , good to know so many people are so "well versed" in everything spektrum.
thanks again for your detailed response I will try to absorb as much as possible, took me a couple years to learn how to tune and fly my race drones this seems similar in some respects .
Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #128
dereckbc
Super Contributor

wow that's a lot of info !
I did read a lot of that stuff before posting and it just seemed out of my range of knowledge so I was looking for a fast easy solution.
I cannot fix the fast part, but I can make it easy to do. Did you get the USB cable for it? If not then you will need one so you can program it.

There is nothing to it. Boils down to this; all the programming you mostly do in the radio is done in the RX. The App is free, but you need the cable.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #129
Doug 14

I haven't got a cable, honestly before this thread I had no idea it was programmable, I figured it was only done with newer generation radios, my dx7s has got to be 7yrs old or older , I've learned how to set up and program my race drones on cleanflight/betaflight but I'm assuming this completely different ,
I will see if I can get one from my hobby shop , what is it ? usb-servo plug?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #130
Doug 14

I will look for the app on my laptop, I'm running Windows
Old 08-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #131
Doug 14

I got the app in play store but it didnt load an icon, can't get as3x app on my galaxy 6 , I will check my tab, but it doesn't seem to be working .
Old 08-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #132
Doug 14

I also have a few of these for my drones , are the the same as ar 600 just with 2 more channels ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170809_181809.jpg (7.39 MB, 64 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #133
Doug 14

I watched the spektrum vids on YouTube and see how it all works , will track down a cable ( audio not usb) and get things started, it doesn't look as hard as I thought
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #134
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I watched the spektrum vids on YouTube and see how it all works , will track down a cable ( audio not usb) and get things started, it doesn't look as hard as I thought
LOL.....it's not that hard (given your multi-rotor programming experience), just really time consuming and unnecessary once one has mastered traditional fixed-wing acrobatic flight skills......sorry, but proven traditional "old school" pilot skills teach and provide longer term and reliable instinctive skills more than any programmable stability unit on the market........Just my opinion.

Really, it comes down to where best one would care to spend their time and their comfort priorities; Flying, Programming, Endless Adjustment Tinkering, Memorizing and Re-Tracing Setting Applications after each flight or mishap......?

Most certainly dereckbc has been the most dedicated and reliable source related to the Spektrum AR636 here at WattFlyer.....he's spent endless hours working with this tool (how many he's never indulged), and it's quite obvious he enjoys and has the time/knowledge to endear the short-comings....(still waiting to see his vid's of the hands-free hover while sipping on a beer flights).....lol

Anyway, like stated previously, the "tool" has it's place in the hobby.......just not my or many of my buddies cup of tea.....not yet at least, our pilot skills have not diminished that much, but our gray-matter capacity has started to prioritize value vs. clutter....particularly with myself, since I work with commercial UAV equipment 3 to 4 days a week. Keeping up with that technology leaves little left for hobby level, time consuming stability application "tool" FUN......
Old 08-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #135
Doug 14

I got the app to work on my tab so I will pick up a cable and start to experiment with the settings, it is a lot to research so it'll take a while before I install the rx back in a plane , thanks for all the help and Input. it's really helped me understand things I knew nothing about
Old 08-10-2017, 03:16 AM   #136
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I got the app to work on my tab so I will pick up a cable and start to experiment with the settings, it is a lot to research so it'll take a while before I install the rx back in a plane , thanks for all the help and Input. it's really helped me understand things I knew nothing about
Just back to the start of the Thread and you will pick up some things

Most important thing is Flight Mode 1. You want FM1 you safe zone and by that I mean Gyros Off, Rates Low with comfortable expos. Use FM1 for take off and landings, and if something gets funky like after an adjustment on gyro gains, you have FM1 to fall back on. FM2 turn up rates, turn on some Conventional Rate Gain on the Gyros. FM3 full rates, expo and both Conventional and Heading Gyro gains.

Make sure you watch the TX Radio Setup. The most confusing thing is all the stuff you program on your TX Radio like rates, expos, trim, sub-trrin is now done on the receiver. The important takeaway is the TX Radio just be a DEFAULT PLANE. Do not change anything with the Rudder, Elevator, or Ailerons. Do not change Wing or Tail Type. Throttle you can apply an Expo, but otherwise leave it alone. Do not even touch REVERSE SURFACE. The only thing you have to do in the TX is assign the Aux Channel to a 3-Way Switch on your radio. You have a couple on the DX7.

I will help you if you need a hand. I can walk you through it on the phone. The Instal Wizard makes it easy. The head scratching is setting up the 3 flight modes. No big deal you walk into the gyro stuff slowly. You starrt by only applying a little Rate Gain and see what it does. Repeat at higher level and see what happens. At some point you notice oscillations and know your Gains are to high.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #137
Doug 14

I've watched 13 of the spektrum vids now , I gotta say , it's way more complicated then I expected, I won't fully understand a lot of it for a while , but while I put the time in figuring it out I will be getting flight time in with my ar600, getting the feeling for the plane before adding this complication .
I can see the appeal of having this much tuning ability for people who are looking for the optimum set up , but for a basic flyer it's way too much to absorb.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #138
Doug 14

picked up the cable today , saved 1hr40min of video off YouTube with keepvid.com and mashed them all together
going to try it tonight and see if I can figure it all out .
Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #139
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Doug you can set the AR636 to work like any normal RX, you just turn the gyros off. That is basically what you do with Flight Mode 1.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #140
Doug 14

Thumbs up

I'm definitely doing fm1 with nothing , I still prefer the basic setup but I want to see what this will do, I fly every morning now at 7am if wind and weather permits , most days it's calm so very easy to fly , I probably won't install the ar636 for a week or so until I fully understand the app, programming and what each setting will relate to the flight itself , I'm picking up a second Trojan Monday for $100 so that'll be my ar636 plane , if things go wrong it won't matter , once I've dialed in settings I will match everything on my original plane with my 2nd ar636 , keep my ar600 and ar800
for my p51 or p47 which ever I decide to get .
thanks again for all you intuitive responses , i have a great respect for your knowledge and experience.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 AM   #141
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I think once you just start the app, and walk through the Wizard you will catch on quick. The first is just like setting up a Transmitter. You will program Wing and Tail Types, 1 or 2 servos for Aileron. Then Channel Assignment, Reverse Controls, Sub Trim, Trim and all the usual stuff you would normally do on the TX. Next comes RX Orientation which is as simple as clicking on a Picture that matched what you are doing.

Then like your TX you program Throw Rates and Expos. Instead of just High-Low rates on a Switch, you get 3 Flight Modes on a Switch. Each Mode you set Throw Rates and Expos just like a TX. Difference Is 3 modes vs High/Low switch.

The last thing is the tricky part. What to do with the Gyros. There are 3 Settings you can set:

Rate Gain
Heading Gain
Priority

Rate Gain is conventional Gain like the Heli and quad folks use. Think of it like a shock absorber. It will resist external forces trying to change the planes attitude in all 3 axis. If something pushes the nose up, the elevator reacts with Down. You need to get Rate Gain done before you take on Heading Gain. In the end, once you know what Rate Gains, you duplicate them in Heading Gain.

To find the right amount of Rate Gain is Trial and Error. Start with one axis starting at say 20%. Fly and see what happens. Here is the deal. It is SPEED SENSITIVE, so fly at air speeds you intend for that Flight Mode. You keep turning up the Gain incrementally, say 10% each time until you observe OSCILLATIONS in the axis you are working on. Once you see the oscillation, back off the throttle and it should stop because it is SPEED SENSITIVE. Repeat on each axis and speed until you get it dialed on.

Priority is easy for now. Set it at 100% in all modes.

Heading Gain is similar to Rate Gain, but it more than Resist a change in Attitude. It will do everything it can to keep the plane oriented in any attitude you put it in. Wind knocks it around and the plane will return to its HEADING. However Heading Gain is only Active when the Stick Axis is Centered. As soon as you move a stick axis off center, Heading Gain is turned off on that axis only until you recenter the control. You will still have Rate Gain when sticks are off centered, and diminish the further you push the stick off center. That is where Priority comes in. For now leave Priority alone set at 100%.

Here is how mine is set up. I fly 3D planes so this might not work well for you, but should give you an idea of how to use the Flight Modes.

FM1 is my Safe Zone. No Gyro, and Throw rates at 25% with moderate Expo. I use this mode to Take Off and Land with because it is very precise and predictable. Also when I mess with the Gyros and I screw up a setting, I got my comfortable FM1 always there.

FM2 is my Sport Plane High Speed mode. Throw Rates are up to 50%, moderate Expo, and Rate Gain Only set to roughly 20 to 25%. As it implies is a good mode for Aerobatics and Precision flying on rails. Note there is no Heading Gain in my FM2.

FM3 is slow post stall 3D mode. All rates are 125%, high Expo, and both Rate Gain and Heading Gain are on and set to roughly 45 to 60%. Gains are as high as I can go without oscillations. So relax and jump in there. Hook the RX up to a battery and wire it up to the laptop and walk around the program. You cannot hurt anything. I think once you are in will find it easy. Have a look at one of my Dashboards.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #142
Doug 14

that's amazing, can I just copy those settings to my Trojan ?
I know it's a totally different plane.
that would give me something start with
Old 08-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #143
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well yes, but no clue how it will work.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #144
Doug 14

at least I can flip to fm1 anytime and have bone stock settings
Old 08-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #145
dereckbc
Super Contributor

at least I can flip to fm1 anytime and have bone stock settings
Might want to change Expo. This is a 3D Plane with huge control surfaces and 70 degree throws. So I have to use a bit of Expo to calm the beast. Just set the Expos and Rates you normally use for low Rates. What is important on FM1 as you can see is NO GYROS @ 0%
Old 08-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #146
Doug 14

I'm going to tackle it tonight , my 4yr old is and his grandparents house for the night so I can actually focus on it .
putting stock motor back in now then hooking up the ar636 , it won't be dead center where I mount it but it's close , I hope it won't effect it , I could glue in a mount plate so it's centered on fuselage and with wings . I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out, I've read your responses several times
making sure I understand everything .
Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #147
Doug 14

I did have a few concerns but I think it'll be ok, I'm using a 3" nose wheel and 2.5" on the rears to pitch it back a little like a tail dragger and for a smoother ride on taxi . hoping the pitch won't effect things too much

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_200618.jpg (4.41 MB, 41 views)
Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 AM   #148
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I did have a few concerns but I think it'll be ok, I'm using a 3" nose wheel and 2.5" on the rears to pitch it back a little like a tail dragger and for a smoother ride on taxi . hoping the pitch won't effect things too much
No should not hurt a thing. When you go to fly, you do need to initialize the Gryos to tell them where straight and level is forr SAFE if you have SAFE. Super easy to do.

Before you plug the battery in and power up the RX, make sure the plane is on level ground and the wing is not bouncing it around. Once the throttle Arms, switch to a Mode that has Gyros active, while hold the plane flat level and steady, run the Throttle up full power, and back to idle. Your set.

Now if you use the Panic Button, the RX knows where Straight and Level is.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:33 AM   #149
Doug 14

I still haven't got it to connect , tried every thing, I've I got the spektrum vid on pause , watched it 17 times , Im doing everything correctly but my tab just doesn't want to connect , the app won't load on my phone so I have to use it. when I plug it in to headphone jack my auto volume Waring pops up so I even tried plugging in headphones in first before opening app to by pass it before trying the app , going to keep trying but .. I have a feeling my tab can't handle it
Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 AM   #150
Doug 14

I've tried turning on blue tooth on tab , turning WiFi off on tab and laptop , every sequence of elimination I can come up with tx on tx off I'm running out of options .

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions