RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with upgrading to a DX6i please

Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM
whipple
Memento mori

Default Help with upgrading to a DX6i please

OK, there are just too many choices for me to make sense of it all : http://tinyurl.com/3eqfps3 so I am looking for some input and maybe even a reccomendation or two. I don't see the need for a Dx7 based on what/how I fly.

This will be my fourth year flying, I enjoy the park fliers and have no desire to go to anything larger. I'll be purchasing my 5th and 6th plane this year and am getting quite tired of carrying around all the transmitters.

I hand launch/belly flop everything and don't need flaps. I currently own the Super Cub, Trojan, Corsair and Stryker C. I just purchased a PNP PZ P47D and expect to purchase a PNP Wildcat later in the year.

I'm still using the original Tx/Rx setups that came with the planes and understand that I will need to upgrade the Rx's in the Trojan and Stryker to one of the 2.4Ghz ones. Due to the need for a complete electronics replacement in the SC, I will probably not be upgrading her.

Additionally, I don't like flying the corsair much and was thinking of using it's receiver in the new PNP P47. Because of the need for an additional couple of Rx's for the current plane upgrades, and later for the Wildcat, I was thinking that purchasing a Rx with the Tx would be a good idea, but there are at least two types of Rx's out there that can come with the 6i.

Helps, recommendations, "Nah, you don't wanna do that", and "Have you ever thought of..." are all welcome.

Thank you,
Whipple
Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Whipple
The DX6i is a good solid unit that will work for you, the only question I might have is if you see yourself at some time wanting more than 10 model memories? With your current aircraft you will use about half of the memories available. I was surprised how quickly I filled up all the slots on my DX6i.
If you do not see yourself flying other than PNP park flyers than I would just get one of the DX6i units that includes a receiver, you most likely will not need the servos included in some of the packages, the receiver you can use to convert one of your existing fleet to the 2.4 used by the DX6i. You might also look to see f the unit you are buying is DSM2 or DSMX. You might not need the DSMX depending on your flying habits, but it probably will never hurt to have it
Also I see that there are a number of the Tx you have the link to that are mode 1, I would stick to mode 2 as that is most likely what you are used to using currently.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by whipple View Post
OK, there are just too many choices for me to make sense of it all : http://tinyurl.com/3eqfps3 so I am looking for some input and maybe even a reccomendation or two. I don't see the need for a Dx7 based on what/how I fly.

This will be my fourth year flying, I enjoy the park fliers and have no desire to go to anything larger. I'll be purchasing my 5th and 6th plane this year and am getting quite tired of carrying around all the transmitters.

I hand launch/belly flop everything and don't need flaps. I currently own the Super Cub, Trojan, Corsair and Stryker C. I just purchased a PNP PZ P47D and expect to purchase a PNP Wildcat later in the year.

I'm still using the original Tx/Rx setups that came with the planes and understand that I will need to upgrade the Rx's in the Trojan and Stryker to one of the 2.4Ghz ones. Due to the need for a complete electronics replacement in the SC, I will probably not be upgrading her.

Additionally, I don't like flying the corsair much and was thinking of using it's receiver in the new PNP P47. Because of the need for an additional couple of Rx's for the current plane upgrades, and later for the Wildcat, I was thinking that purchasing a Rx with the Tx would be a good idea, but there are at least two types of Rx's out there that can come with the 6i.

Helps, recommendations, "Nah, you don't wanna do that", and "Have you ever thought of..." are all welcome.

Thank you,
Whipple
With all of your models, the Spektrum "Model Match" feature is IMHO a good one. Last year, I tried to fly my Showtime 50 with my DX7 transmitter. Nothing. No response from the receiver. Dead. Looked at my transmitter, it showed "Show 50".

Looked again, it showd "Show 50", model #8, not model #3. Forgot I'd copied the Showtime 50 to model #8, and tried to fly as #8. Even though it was the same exact model, with same exact setup, the transmitter protected me against my stupid error.

Had that been another brand radio, and a different model with reversed ailerons, it could have cost me a model.

As for the DX6i radio, a member from another club flew a giant scale multi- $1000 model with one at our funfly last year. I thought he was nuts, but he flew that model, and flew it often.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

If you can find one I would get the DX7 with AR 7000 Rx and four DS821 standard servos for $300.00. The servos are probably too big for your needs but you can sell them for $80 or more on ebay. Then you have a DX7 and AR7000 for $220. The 7000 is a $90 Rx so you end up paying $130 for a DX7. I got one in December.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM
whipple
Memento mori

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
If you can find one I would get the DX7 with AR 7000 Rx and four DS821 standard servos for $300.00. The servos are probably too big for your needs but you can sell them for $80 or more on ebay. Then you have a DX7 and AR7000 for $220. The 7000 is a $90 Rx so you end up paying $130 for a DX7. I got one in December.
That's an interesting thought. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 PM
whipple
Memento mori

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
With all of your models, the Spektrum "Model Match" feature is IMHO a good one. Last year, I tried to fly my Showtime 50 with my DX7 transmitter. Nothing. No response from the receiver. Dead. Looked at my transmitter, it showed "Show 50".

Looked again, it showd "Show 50", model #8, not model #3. Forgot I'd copied the Showtime 50 to model #8, and tried to fly as #8. Even though it was the same exact model, with same exact setup, the transmitter protected me against my stupid error.

Had that been another brand radio, and a different model with reversed ailerons, it could have cost me a model.

As for the DX6i radio, a member from another club flew a giant scale multi- $1000 model with one at our funfly last year. I thought he was nuts, but he flew that model, and flew it often.
The multi model is the main reason I want to get a computerized Tx. It's just geting too out of control to cart all of them around now. Why would it be a problem to fly a big plane with a 6i? Is there something about the radio I'm not understanding?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM
whipple
Memento mori

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Whipple
The DX6i is a good solid unit that will work for you, the only question I might have is if you see yourself at some time wanting more than 10 model memories? With your current aircraft you will use about half of the memories available. I was surprised how quickly I filled up all the slots on my DX6i.
If you do not see yourself flying other than PNP park flyers than I would just get one of the DX6i units that includes a receiver, you most likely will not need the servos included in some of the packages, the receiver you can use to convert one of your existing fleet to the 2.4 used by the DX6i. You might also look to see f the unit you are buying is DSM2 or DSMX. You might not need the DSMX depending on your flying habits, but it probably will never hurt to have it
Also I see that there are a number of the Tx you have the link to that are mode 1, I would stick to mode 2 as that is most likely what you are used to using currently.
Thank you for the heads up concerning the mode 2. You are correct, that is what I am flying. I didn't catch that when I was looking at the radios so that helps narrow the search down considerably. I'm not sure yet about the 10 models, but another watthead makes a good argument for going ahead and picking up the 7.

Hummm......

Whipple
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by whipple View Post
The multi model is the main reason I want to get a computerized Tx. It's just geting too out of control to cart all of them around now. Why would it be a problem to fly a big plane with a 6i? Is there something about the radio I'm not understanding?
No problem at all, and that guy with the expensive model proved it. But to me, its image.

And, the top of the line Spektrum and JR radios have receivers with multiple satelite receivers, dual battery inputs to the receivers and the like.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 AM
whipple
Memento mori

Well I decided to go with the 6i w/o servos but with the AR6000 Rx. Took me the better part of 4 hours to find one in stock and shipped form the USA.

In case someone else is also looking for a Spektrum DX6i Transmitter with AR6200 Receiver; I found it here: http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop...spx?itemid=959

Thank you all for all your input,
Whipple