Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Reload this Page >

B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Abby Normal State

Well...here we were all giggles and grins as we looked at how our milling was going so smoothly (literally)
at a pace which surprised us. Thanksgiving and Christmas passed all too quickly when we were visited by
something out of our control, a health issue.

Sam's family has a history of circulatory issues. Well it was Sam's turn. At this point he is half way through
an endarterectomy procedure. Thankfully there were no cardio incidents prior, during, or post procedure so
its a matter of rest/healing prior to repeating on opposite side of Sam's neck. Another six weeks and Sam'll
return to his favorite state of Abby Normal.

I'm working at printing the cockpit, facade for the mains, outriggers. and rear cannons.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 02-16-2016 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Adjusting the screen focus knob.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Wish him well for us Ed. Was wondering where you folks were at.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Sizzle, snap, pop

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Wish him well for us Ed. Was wondering where you folks were at.
Thanks Don,

Before too long I'll have photos of Sam back at it with the mill ;^)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 04-26-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Hi-ho, Hi-ho, A Printing I Shall Go...

Well I see someone's reviewing our build out. I am amidst printing of cockpit and our articulated rear cannon turret.

While Sam prepares for the second half of his surgery I am forging ahead with a few important items needing to
be printed. Will see how well I can create wheel inserts for the brakes. Dick Reynolds' attention to infinite detail is
forcing me to revisit that area If I can find an STL which probably has the Navigator/Bombardier's station in nose
as it can be seen through the B-47's front side windows.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-11-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

This is a nice length focus on the LABS maneuver performed over my hometown when I was in grade
school. This is one of my planned maneuvers as the 44# of thrust should provide what's needed.

Back to the hangar working on the cockpit tub and contents.

Enjoy,

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 05-28-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Wired & Hot 2 Go

Sam sent me a drawing and some images of our three axis Hot Wire assembly he has gotten back to. Beautiful perfectly
flat 96" long x 34" wide building board when not cutting;^).

Interlocking Torsion Box cross sections ready for screws and glue

Assembled upside down

Hotwire servo rails

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TorsionBoxTopDwnNSide.jpg (45.4 KB, 1264 views)
SlottedCrossBars.jpg (37.2 KB, 1261 views)
ScrewdNGludUpsideDwn.jpg (33.5 KB, 1183 views)
HotWireRails.jpg (92.5 KB, 1229 views)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 06-05-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Least Expensive CAD Tool

I must say after reviewing Sam's treasure trove there is little to wish for if you are looking to find a single tool which
can accelerate your scale modeling hobby. There are free and next to free resources (CAD images) available online.
In most cases at the least there are the following groups within each subject:
Cockpit Detail
Instrument Panel Detail
Landing Gear
Weapon Mechanics
Canopy Frame Detail
Canopy Clear Detail
Landing Gear Detail
To name but a few which can be reproduced via either CNC milling, CNC hot-wire, or a combination of the two.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:32 AM
21onen

I have been following this thread for some time. Excellent work you are doing. I thought I would show you a little B47 aviation part I now use as a trailer. I had two of the long range fuel tanks from what I believe was the only B-47 exported out of the U.S and sent to Canada for the Avro Arrow program. Makes a great trailer as it is light and easy to handle for my two larger models the Hangar 9 Beaver and Eflite carbon Z. I am now looking to put a Canopy on the trailer to mimic a 1/2 scale B-47 front end. I am looking for CAD drawing of the canopy so I can have a plug machined up out of wood for vacuforming. The plug itself will be about 40 inches long 14 inches wide and 10 inches tall. I will have two animatronic pilots that will turn heads and wave. I plan on using the canopy only for RC events or local parades. If you can point me in a direction where I might be able to acquire a CAD canopy drawing it would be appreciated. Keep up the good work. Love this thread. Tero T in Toronto
Attached Images
B47 rear view.jpg (215.7 KB, 1310 views)
b47 side view.jpg (154.0 KB, 1186 views)
51-2059[1].jpg (34.8 KB, 1510 views)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Trailer

A canopy mounted on that would look fabulous. All you need for it to be close to scale would be to use
one which matches the Lockheed T-33 trainer. That would look fabulous :^)

Obviously tank was enlarged for the large engine tests. Was it hung in a traditional external tank station?

Bet you gather a crowd where ever you fly. Would be an interesting way to haul our 47's.

Tero:

I'm going to make your wish come true ;^) I can extract our CAD canopy and send it to you so can have a
plug CNC milled from urethane foam and sealed so it can be used as a plug for vacuum forming a canopy. I
can create the proper windshield/canopy proportion for the tank's nose to windshield scale ratio.

Your back channel estimated this to be about 40 inches front to rear, 14 inches wide, by 10" tall. What I
send you will be "the" actual scale shape by proper proportion simply scaled down to 40 inches or what ever
is close to that when compositied with the tank side view photo. I will post this result here so you can see
what it will look like.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:54 PM
21onen

Hi Ed!
My understanding is the B47 that came to Canada had these standard long range tanks which were then removed for the test program as the aircraft was not flying long distance. The tanks are 48 inch diameter and approx. 23 feet long. The trailer is made of the first half of the tank or approx. 11.5 feet . This fellow on ebay is selling the nose cones from the B-47 if you want to make a similar trailer. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USAF-B-47-Dro...QAAOxy2YtRq~RO

Regards Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 02:09 PM
21onen

You are right the T-33 canopy is very similar so I have acquired a 1/32 model of the T-33 and will have it scanned to generate the math data to have an approx. 1/2 scale canopy made . 1/2 scale helmets can be found here http://www.fox2flightgear.com/ . Will see how it works. Tero T

Last edited by 21onen; 07-08-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:26 PM
21onen

HI Ed!
I did not read your full response(more of your post under the photo) and I understand you can offer me the canopy portion in CAD. That is greatly appreciated. I can go either way on this(T-33) but this would be the most authentic reproduction of the canopy. I am willing to pay for your efforts as well because you have put time and energy into this. Let me know what works for you. Regards Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Canopy & Cockpit CAD

The actual production canopy for the B-47 "is" the same as the T-33 trainer.

This is a 2D screen captured image of a SketchUp cockpit and canopy in 3D as an immediately CNC millable image in its .STL format counterpart.

It can be sectioned such that everything in the cockpit could be parallel to the curved tank surface for milling, glassing, and painting.

Those are the .jpg images for viewing here. There is only one .STL file from which the cockpit and
canopy were usable as a SketchUp extraction. The .STL will be emailed to you back channel.
I have the editable SketchUp native format as well if your CNC CAD guy is happier with this in its
native format as well as another drawing rendered in Ashler-Vellum's .AR I can extract another .STL
from the .AR image if necessary.

That's the best I can do for you sir ;^) After all that is what this thread is posted within Wattflyer
for as there are few web sites with the patience for a scratch built project. Scratch is from the real
world drawing board all the way to landing the project on the far end of a runway.
Attached Images
CockpitWCanopy.jpg (177.0 KB, 1236 views)
CockpitWCanopyBotUp.jpg (87.0 KB, 416 views)
CockpitWCanopyFrntVU.jpg (76.3 KB, 1187 views)
CockpitWCanopyRearVU.jpg (88.3 KB, 1275 views)
CockpitWCanopyTopDwn.jpg (158.3 KB, 1731 views)
B47WindshieldOnTank.jpg (365.0 KB, 2015 views)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 PM
21onen

I did not know the T-33 canopy was the same . I have a friend who has a bit of a boneyard of T-33 airframes north of Toronto(where the tanks came from). I do greatly appreciate your help in this matter . I do have scan capabilities through a good friend of mine and if you like I can have a 1/6 scale 50's era pilot(correct helmet) scanned and the math data sent to you . This way you could scale it to your aircraft and have it 3D printed. Let me know if that would be of interest and it will be done. Regards Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Thanks for the offer. I have a nice set (3) of crew members in 1/8.7669 scale. I too have
a CNC printer with which I am in the throws of printing the above cockpit as a removable
unit as itty bitties tend to get the shake-aparts when they are in cockpits. Nothing worse
than something upside down inside a closed canopy when you taxie back.

You can mill the CAD file I send you in the proper dim after you tell me your final size. I
assume your 40" length was a close, unqualified measurement ;^).
Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
21onen

I think the canopy looks great the way you pasted it on the tank. The canopy would be closer to full scale at around 7+ feet if done per the picture sent . Again my calculations are normally off but with a 40" canopy and 1/2 scale pilot helmets I want to mimic a B47 so the canopy and fuselage ratio will be different . What is the actual real depth of the B47 fuselage at the cockpit cross section. I am sorry as well to have hijacked your thread for these questions of mine. Regards Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 04:42 PM
21onen

yes my 40" inch calculation for a 1/2 scale canopy was done with rulers, crayons and Squadron signal B47 soft cover book. So not very accurate at all. I have no precise data on the length of the canopy and your data is the best our there that I can see. My tank is 48inch diameter and approx. 11 feet long and I calculated on what drawings ,pictures I had that that the tank was almost half the depth of the b-47 fuselage at the canopy. Let me know what you think it should be and I will use that as my direction. Thanks again Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Canopy Dims

I have the canopy dims posted within the three sections of this building blog.
I'll look at my sectional index to see if I can quickly find the top down view with dims.

159.4" long from the windshield's left and right forward most points contacting the
fuselage to its rearward most point along the vertical center-line. As referenced on
Boeing's assembly drawing.

32" left to right cockpit opening. Cockpit extends left and right of opening another
16". I am still looking for the drawing with the dim markups confirmed by our team
of six who actually measured 8 surviving B-47's.

More coming: Dims @ 1/12th per Dick Reynolds project.

Attached Images
12thCanopyDims.jpg (114.7 KB, 1286 views)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: 159.4" long correction
Old 07-08-2016, 07:22 PM
21onen

Ok thanks again. If the 48 inch tank diameter is close to 1/2 scale then the 70-80 inch canopy is the actual length and not my 40" finger in sky estimate. I had looked at a recumbent bicycle canopy out of Colorado and it is 80 inch long 12 inch high and 22 in wide http://www.blueskydsn.com/catalogue-2016.pdf but it looks like from your top view the canopy will be in the 14 to 16 inch width range. I may need to blow mold this. I have been in contact with Todd's canopies in Orlando Florida on this project . When I called him a Monday a week ago I was informed he died in a plane crash three days prior losing his life that of his mother and one son. Terrible tragedy. The company has now been taken over by some else and maybe All I require is just the top view. vacuforming a 70 -80 long might be hard to find a vac former that can do this. Your help has been instrumental in getting this correct. Many thanks again. Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM
21onen

I can get the recumbent bike canopy in clear and flex the side walls in a bit to bring it into dimension. I think the canopy is $450.00 plus shipping so it would be probably the cheapest option and it is optically clear and reasonably thick. Profile shape appears to be quite close. Tero T
Old 07-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Windshield

Were you including the fore to aft depth of the windshield? Windshield will be
a separate piece. After you add the perimeter flashing this will sit down onto
the tank tightly with little more than a flat rubber gasket to prevent leaking... ;^)

The canopy on B-47's from the E rev on only opened about 15 inches and only
for venting the aircraft full of vacuum tubes...

A sign company can pull this size canopy with no problem. You might find a soft
spot in their heart for model aka toy airplanes and you'd have it made.

Don't forget that the canopy does not have to be vacuum formed to look real.
This is something done quickly with slotted wood frames and individual sheets
of clear.

Template for each clear section of the canopy is printed at proper size on a
Xerographic scanning printer then panel is taped along the parting line of bow
with the balance of the section cut free.

Canopy frame bows and perimeter are easily made from wood with recess for
insertion of clear acrylic or acetate sheet cut following the dims of the paper
templates. Clear sheet must have UV inhibitor to prevent fogging.

Curve in frame assures proper bow of canopy is symmetric.

Below is the rocket sled canopy ejection evaluation unit:

That should pretty well cover the need for your canopy. Send me your email
address to which I will send the .STL file for the canopy and cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GrayRampTest3.png
Views:	876
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	184025  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-12-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:48 PM
21onen

Hi Ed!
Sorry for being out of communications. My day job got in the way of my hobbies. Thank-you again for this support which has been outstanding. I have other number of friends in Texas from my Militaria hobby side, all top notch individuals . It must be the Texas water. I will PM you my address . Best Regards Tero T
Old 07-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

You understand better than most how aqua-verde brings out my better self image. I
am more or less drawn that way.. :^)

This goes hand in hand with Texas politics. Texas is a Republic and only a temporary
State within the Union. We reserve the right to make the decision to remain as the
largest and most effective voting bodies within the United States Of America.

Everyone reading this has a word of thanks to give to Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison,
retired, for standing up and fighting for your recreational use of U.S. airspace. Kay
was Chairperson of the Senate Committee reviewing the FAA's Modernization Bill.
Kay more or less had the Bull by the gonads...I''ll fore go the illustration temptation!

So, yes there is something to be said for Texas water(s) and tenacity. Tenacity by
any other name would be known by its fine Irish surname, Stubborn! I too, be guilty.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-12-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default TrailerCanopyNCockpit

Tero:

OK, braking it all apart to isolate the canopy you get this:

You are getting each segment of the cockpit as an individual section as well as an "assembled" file. Your CAD
person should find working with these elements is easy. Though not perfect, these elements serve to appear
as a decent representation of the B-47 cockpit and individual components. I will now post photographs of all
these CAD images as they appear in the real world.

Attached Images
CanOpea.jpg (20.2 KB, 2134 views)
CanopyFrame.jpg (28.2 KB, 2068 views)
ThrotttleQuadrant.jpg (32.5 KB, 1950 views)
B47CockpitRightFront.jpg (39.6 KB, 2274 views)
Cockpitsanscan.jpg (59.6 KB, 2863 views)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-15-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:59 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I continue to follow your arduous journey. The detail. The minaturization of the detail. Simply remarkable. Curious: what size edf's are you planning to use or will this be wet turbine ?

Hawk

Quick Reply: B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12785 seconds with 32 queries