RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Another Computer Radio Help Needed

Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Another Computer Radio Help Needed

Hi,

I was hoping somebody could help me pick through the facts. I've read all the recent threads in here and am still unable to decide.

I am transitioning from my first three channel PF, and want to buy and build the Watt-Age Cessna 182. I am looking for a radio with some headroom for the future, so I figured it didn't make sense to spend over a $100 on a 4 channel, when for a little more (another $100 or so) I could get a 6-7 channel computer radio. My problem is I want to get one with a sub-micro flight pack. My choices seem to be the JR 6102, the Hitec Optic 6, or the one I think I want, the Futaba 7C.

The problem is the futaba doesn't come with a parkflier flight option. Can someone help me make a smart decision. I guess I could step down to the futaba 6EXH, but I think I really had my heart set on the 7C.

After reading the "what computer radio" thread, I don't remember anyone talking about the JR. The Hitec and Futaba seemed to be the popular choices. I also considered the Spektrum but the range is strictly PF. I guess I would feel much more comfortable having the longest range possible in a sub-micro receiver package.

I know I may have rambled a little here, but does anyone know what I am trying to do here. I seem not to have a clue!!

Thanks For any help. Andy
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Go here too - they carry Hitec and Futaba and you can customize your system with a parkie friendly one.

www.servocity.com

All three are good systems, I too have the Spektrum another great system. It is highly unlikely it will not meet your range qualifications for smaller electrics. If you are going to fly larger models you will want the 72mHz boxes (for now.).

Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

If you really want the 7C, go to - http://www.servocity.com/html/7-ch_7ca_systems.html and you can build your own parkflier kit They can also build a custom Optic 6 kit if you go that route.

I'm in the same boat as you and am still looking. I wouldnt worry about the Spektrum range much. At the distance it is solid at, the plane will be a tiny speck. I like the idea of the Spektrum but would like expo/dual rates on rudder for 3D flying. I also have several Hitec equiped planes that would need swapped over to the AR6000 RX's. For that reason, I am leaning towards something that is compatible with my current RX's.

EDIT - DOH! Mike beat me with servo city!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Go here too - they carry Hitec and Futaba and you can customize your system with a parkie friendly one.

www.servocity.com

All three are good systems, I too have the Spektrum another great system. It is highly unlikely it will not meet your range qualifications for smaller electrics. If you are going to fly larger models you will want the 72mHz boxes (for now.).

Mike
Gonna check that out. Sounds like what I want.

Yes, I was all set to go with that Spektrum but it sounds scarily tight range. In real terms, probably not too tight for my needs, but I guess it makes a little sense to try to leave myself room for larger models later.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Twmaster

Servo City is a great place to shop too.

One other option. The Futaba and Hitec can be bought as transmitter only allowing you to hand pick your flight gear.

Otherwise I'll have to agree with rcers's comments. All are good systems.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone. I can't believe how this hobby has engulfed me. All these great sites to check out. I'm supposed to be working!!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I'm embarrassed to have to ask this but I assumed that radios could switch channels without having to change the crystal or whatever other part controls channel. But it looks like I am off base. Is there a smart choice to be made when specifying channel at purchase? I don't have a field to fly at yet (a club), so I can't say if there is a particular channel that would be better locally. Maybe I need to work that out first

I am really only rushing on this a little because I want to build another plane. I am not ready to fly it by any means, but I might as well get the electronics I need for the build, by buying the radio right?

Sorry for the ignorance!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Is there a smart choice to be made when specifying channel at purchase? I don't have a field to fly at yet (a club), so I can't say if there is a particular channel that would be better locally.

I am really only rushing on this a little because I want to build another plane. I am not ready to fly it by any means, but I might as well get the electronics I need for the build, by buying the radio right?

Sorry for the ignorance!
Channels should be selected so it does not match one of your flying buddies, and you should check with local clubs to see if they have "bad" channels noted at the club field (some do).

The Local Hobby shop usually knows areas that may have channels with noted interference.

Other than that, it does not matter! I select channels near the top or bottom of the range, just because most others don't. I rarely have to "wait" for my channel even at fly-in events.

Remember to have Hitec switch a channel on a fixed module transmitte is like under $20 so not a huge deal. If you are really worried get the Optic 6 with the spectra module or you can purchase another module and switch your self (that is legal - since it is a module).

You are not rushing - you can get the radio now and the second plane later. No biggie, you have to start somewhere!

Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Channels should be selected so it does not match one of your flying buddies, and you should check with local clubs to see if they have "bad" channels noted at the club field (some do).

The Local Hobby shop usually knows areas that may have channels with noted interference.

Other than that, it does not matter! I select channels near the top or bottom of the range, just because most others don't. I rarely have to "wait" for my channel even at fly-in events.

Remember to have Hitec switch a channel on a fixed module transmitte is like under $20 so not a huge deal. If you are really worried get the Optic 6 with the spectra module or you can purchase another module and switch your self (that is legal - since it is a module).

You are not rushing - you can get the radio now and the second plane later. No biggie, you have to start somewhere!

Mike
Mike,

Can you help me decide on the appropriate servos and receiver for the watt-age C182 I am looking to build. I know it requires 3
"micro" servos, and whatever the appropriate receiver is. There are simply too many choices. That is, there are too many that seem like they would be acceptable.

Also, is there any distinction between a sub-micro and micro servo? The JR radio seems to come with sub-micro's (S241's), but they seem to be about the same spec as the micro servos listed on the servocity site.

I got a lot of patient help from the guy I bought my Cub from, and wanted to buy all this from him too because he has spent a ton of time on the phone with me. But they don't have the Futaba 7C I think I want, and they don't carry the Hitec's either. So now I can't rely on him to tell me exactly what I need in the radio if I want it to work with this particular plane.

Thanks again for the advice!!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 AM
rca

I'm tired tonight, so forgive the noob question.

If you have the Optic 6 with the Spectra module, do you have to use the Spectra receiver? Or can you use a standard receiver with standard receiver crystal and just tune your Spectra transmitter to that frequency?

If that's the case you could use any receiver and crystal combo with the transmitter since it can choose its shift pos or neg. That would be very versatile.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Twmaster

No you can us any 72MHz RX with crystal.

And yes. Quite versatile.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Can you help me decide on the appropriate servos and receiver for the watt-age C182 I am looking to build. I know it requires 3
"micro" servos, and whatever the appropriate receiver is. There are simply too many choices. That is, there are too many that seem like they would be acceptable.
The electron 6 is my receiver of choice. I would use Hitec hs55 servos for that plane. I use them on planes up to about 2.5 lbs.

If you have the Optic 6 with the Spectra module, do you have to use the Spectra receiver? Or can you use a standard receiver with standard receiver crystal and just tune your Spectra transmitter to that frequency?
Nope you can use any 72mHz receiver on the market. You simply set the spectra module to the right channel and off you go.

You are right it is very versitile!

Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

If I didn't have the 9C, I would go for the Spectra.

Helped a friend set up an electric conversion the other day. the throttle stop is the best feature ever for a big electric.

I have a rule that comes from experience, remove the prop when setting up. One slip and off she goes across the work bench.
The Spectra has a throttle stop that works in the electric style beautifuly. Until you turn it on, no throttle. I LIKE that, my fingers are very valuable to me.

I love my 9C, glad I didn't stop at the 7 on the way up.

Electron 6, FMA 5, Berg if they ever get the 6/7 on the market.
Hitec 56mg, 81MG

By George