Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #51
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

Club: 114th Grapevine
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)

wish I had ordered one as well - dang it

Too many hobbies, and not enough time!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #52
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Today I finally made my decision.

I've been placing small servos at back end and trying to decide how to best hide them. Couple up without fouling elevators ... Nothing seems to be ideal in my mind.

So I went back to thinking about Differential throttle and getting yaw action via the prop thrust.

So here's a video for those who like me want to see it actually done. The radio is a 9x but has the latest er9x installed. So it should be relevant for 9xr, 9xr Pro and similar for Taranis and other radios using similar firmware.

Please note that DR / Expo on the Rudder channel will alter the Rudder amount mixing into throttle ... so if you like to tame the ground handling of that excessive tailwheel, then you need to compensate the Rudder to Throttle mix accordingly.

To those a little confused. The motors you want to TURN TO should slow down and those on other side should speed up. The motors in the video actually stop because the throttle is being used for demo at very low rpm ... that means the rudder mix is enough to stop the motor at that low throttle setting. Bring the throttle up to flight speed and both sets of motors will keep running but with the rudder altering the relation of the two sides.

I hope the video helps those thinking about it. I have not flown her with it yet ... I have only flown her as standard out of box and I love her ... this I hope will add to that ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #53
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Very cool. I might try that with the DX9. Of course my throttle channel is #1.

Received the MAS props. Have not got mine out of the box yet.

Looks like a January build.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 03-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #54
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Default I must NOT push my LiPo's to LVC !

Well ... an interesting flight ... but video cam decided to fail !! Sorry no video but all I can relate is here by text.

Differential thrust was significant in being strong to RIGHT but weak to LEFT even though both are same % settings. On ground it was OK ... but tail wheel was still the best. I definitely will not be changing to a castoring free tail wheel.

Flight in gusty winds was as usual and I was flying on about 60% throttle with a small pep up in turns. Differential didn't make much difference to the outcome of turns ... and refer back to earlier comment that right is stronger than left.

Landing ... I wanted to see how reaction was if slowed ... she dropped a wing as we would expect ... power up and she pulled out and climbed away...

Round again and line up, few clicks more on throttle .... she kept floating on and on and on ... so I eased her down ... she bounced twice and I decided that as she was getting too far ... opened up and climbed out. Bad mistake ! I must have been at about 7 mins all told and my LiPo went into LVC .... turns out model default appears to be SOFT LVC ... UGH !!
I tried to turn her to get back in line with runway and let her land ... but as she came round - the motors stopped and she went in ...

Damage is still being assessed ... but so far :

Front glazing - both knocked of, found and ready to go back.

Two props broken. I have a packet of spares.

Main PORT wing holding foam block pulled out and screw left in fuselage.

Starboard inner nacelle cracked.

Starboard outer motor mount out of alignment.

So really I consider it minor damage considering ...

I should really have let her bounce once more and stay on ground ... but she was getting quite a distance away after the long glide in ....

We all make mistakes !! Can't blame the model.

Its a real shame about the video ... she was flying absolutely great ... lots of low passes wheels up and down ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #55
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I had never taken the cowls of to see the motor mounts. That was a surprise to see how they mount !

The motors are front face mounted to plastic X as part of the cowl moulding. The damaged mount of course was that plastic X had just snapped out. I carefully fashioned a disc of 2mm liteply .... to fit up insude against the ridge. I filed away the last buts of the plastic X .... epoxied the ply disc in and then mounted the motor. Perfect AND it brought spinner close to cowl. Only downside was that awful shaft adaptor and the two threads stripped ! So loctite as a temporary solution till I get new adaptors ..... edf's use same adaptors.

The cracked nacelle .... forcing UHU Por into the crack ... closing up cured that one.

Front glazing had broken away but luckily only split .... small strips to repair ... glued back in place. Gun barrels blacked cocktail sticks.

The biggest headache was the wing. The port wing had split the screw foam block, screw pulled through ... plastic plate centre split out. The threaded tubes in fuselage had been moved. The fuselage sides running under the wing had split.

Fuselage sides - UHU Poor sorted that.

The threaded tubes were pushed back and epoxy pressed into foam around to create hard point and keep them positioned.

The foam block on the wing - the piece that had broken out letting screw exit was epoxied back in. The plastic plate area was deepened slightly and two 2mm liteply plates laminated with epoxy as one was glued in place. Drilled through.
Wings returned to fuselage and screwed up as designed. But of course not bring factory mould its not possible to get everything exact. So found port being could move slightly ... it would fly OK - but I didn't like the idea of even a slight movement.
Simple remedy - 4 cocktail sticks. Press wing in and then push a cocktail stick in through fuselage side down through wing into fuselage other side of wing. Do same at rear. Repeat other wing. Now those beings are rock solid. The 'pins' are not glued- so I can pull them out and remove wings if necessary.

Couple new props .... she's ready to go again. Total time ? About 2 hours work.

Photos to follow to show repairs ....

Nigel

Old 03-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #56
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Photos :

Wing screw block torn :

Broken motor mount :

Cracked nacelle :

Split lower fuselage sides :

Motor cowl with broken X to the left :

Motor bolted to new ply disc :

Disc and motor in cowl ready to epoxy :

Epoxied and finished ready to refit :

Wing holding block repaired with ply shim :

Wings pinned at front and rear look for tiny dots in the black foam !!)

All finished with glazing fitted ... ready to go again ...

Funny thing is that the normal things to break ... retract mounts etc. never moved !!

Hope the above helps others who may have similar happen. The biggest help I think may be the motor mount and wing bolt ideas ...

Nigel

Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 AM   #57
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Looking good again Nigel!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 03-26-2016, 03:25 AM   #58
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nice come back !
Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #59
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Have video being processed at moment of flight after above repairs ... will upload shortly ...

Nigel

Old 03-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #60
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

HK Lancaster compilation ...

Nigel

Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #61
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

Just curious and please don't take this as a criticism but I noticed that flying behind what would be a pit area( the cars) or flying behind pilots on the flight line is accepted practice there?

Maybe it's just an optical illusion. Would make me a little edgy....

Cheer,

Hawk
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #62
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The day was strange ... we had 3 zones, with the cars between.

Over the hard runway was electrics, over the grass runway was wet fuel ... over by hangar was Drone racing.

Everyone was told - including spectators - that flying would cross borders, that all were to be aware of this.

The format of our setup was changed for this event, testing a new format.

One aspect that is part of post mortem discussions is whether the hard area should have been restricted to stop such as the girls standing talking on it. The original idea was all non-flyers would stay in a 10m wide strip where the cars were. We only had barrier tape along the grass pit line. We didn't put along the hard runway line because of car access.

It was really fun day - I'm just really angry that my SoloShot 3 wasn't with me to get good video of the event. That item just seems to be a never ending wait. At least SmartieParts kept everyone fully informed while waiting. SS3 ? Couple of crap emails and that's it.

Nigel

Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #63
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well my mini 4.5gr servos arrived ... so :

Ok ...

tiny servos to embed into fins ...

Leads exit below stab... and then will lay under stab to Y into prepared lead through fuselage.

Using the longer arms on the servo allows me to have link inside fin instead of external ..

Indoor model horns are good and small ...

Pin hinges used ..

Rudders in place waiting for glue to set ..

Fixed links with Z bends ... if adjustment needed - will bend to suit...

Just need to wire up .. glue horns into rudders and then test. Fingers crossed that servos direction matches tail wheel !! Bet it doesn't.

More to come ...

Nigel

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #64
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Enjoy the video :

Nigel

Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #65
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

It appears that now this model is discontinued ... and only a few available at various warehouses. Parts are still there but fuselage already not available.

We can only hope that a better version is on its way ? Maybe a bit bigger .... we can only hope.

Such an iconic machine .... we waited so long for an affordable model !

Nigel

Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #66
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here I am enjoying another sortie at Cirava ...

I see that Lancs are back in stock ... dunno how long for ...

Nigel

Old 09-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #67
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Flying Lanc 24 Sept having a great time ....

Maybe its me getting old - grey cells dieing .... but this is second model in a few days that I ran battery too low ...

I was bringing her round for a low pass to drop the wheels (I like to see them go down before committing to landing) ... halfway through the turn - she barreled into the ground with no control at all.

When I tested the battery later ... average cells 3.2V !! Stupid STUPID !!

She has both bomb bay doors torn of the hinges ... front fuselage back to wing is zig-zag ...

She'll fly again ... just straighten her out ... fix doors ... and will start to use my Quanum Battery Warning unit again !!

Nigel

Old 09-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #68
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here's the damage photos from the Death Spiral of video earlier ..............

Unfortunately - I've lost the Rx case ... the top part with Ch numbers etc. is missing - must be back on the field !!

So first I will sort that engine nacelle back ... I have a precision nozzle Hot Glue gun perfect for that.

Then its tackle that zig-zag'd fuselage front end ... luckily its not's corrugated as usually compressed foam does. Its just formed a Z .... so I think two strong 'beams' either side and insert a CF rod or wood strip along to force straight again. Once straight - I can then look to reset the bay door hinges.

For a vertical pile in ... I think she got away with it lightly. I think my battery box in there may have helped as well - giving it a barrier wall stopping damage carrying further back. That and her going in dead stick.

Nigel

Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #69
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Today I put two batterys through her ...... really had a ball ...

Unfortunately hatcam didn't get it ... sorry.

Ventspils Airport and use of the main runway. Just got cold out there ...

Flew like a charm.

Nigel

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #70
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

10 June 2017 .............

TV guy videos my Lanc .. all fine ... but silly me - I put in one of my tired old batterys instead of a good one ... TV guy thanks me for flying and I decide to carry on for a few more minutes. Battery dies and in she goes !

So here's the repair story as it unfolds :

OK ... typical split and folded front end :

Nacelles c racked joints :

Fuselage typical failure at weak area at wing with usual nose UP result ...

Once breaks and splits sorted ... fuselage will have stiff bars clamped along to bring back to uniform straight :

Here's bomb doors still intact but hinges popped ....

Battery box removed and its unplug all the bits ..

I decided to remove wings and here you see the wood pegs I use when rigged to reduce the movement of wings in the root pockets :

Wings removed :

Here you see the 'nose UP' crash result !

Typical broken wing seat :

How to hold broken foam together while glue sets ....

Foam modellers best friends .... thin BBQ sticks !

OK - both wing seats now with PU glue setting up with peg & band holding all in position ..

Nacelles - how to close and keep them straight while PU glue sets :

Once these are set ... takes about 1hr for PU to go off enough to be workable ... I will then start on straightening the fuselage.

I have a few short vids that will go on here as well.

Nigel

Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #71
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK ... most of the splits and cracks have been PU filled and now its time to straighten that fuselage line.

While clamped - knife blade runs along to create a slot and a 2mm CF rod set in ... glued with PU ..

I have removed the plywood tray from the front and will replace with my own to create a support structure to maintain straight form. Once battery box goes back in - will be back in business.

One side though has had too much damage to actually get it fully back to form again - so will be looking as to ways to sort. The top of fuselage just below the cockpit glazing is a box affair with inner moulding and this prevents getting side back to shape again. Maybe I will cut out a section inside to be glued back once side is sorted.

Like most repairs - we start with an idea and modify / alter as we go. In terms of weight gain - this will be minimal and anyway - I can always remove the metal disc weight up front if needed.

Nigel

Old 06-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #72
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #73
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Coming along ... trouble is I have a lot of work to do and I cannot devote time to the repair ... so I jump from my Home Office to the model room when I can ...

The ply plate I will cut will be also with depron formers to get the final shape to the front end removing that last 'bow' ... and it will also be helped by the refit of the battery box.

Nigel

Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #74
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK ... had some serious actual work to do that kept me from my Lanc ...

Depron sides added to stiffen along with a ply shelf ...

Battery box back in ..

Rx back in and all leads fed through ..

Because she's getting on in age - decided that modification to bomb doors was OK ... so I only need enough to get to battery box and wing bolts. FRont and back sections glued in place and held while PU sets up.

Once done - I will pin hinge the doors over the battery area as well as my BBQ skewer pins through Fuselage and wings to stop any 'skewing' as the wings are somewhat loose now.

Nigel

Old 06-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #75
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

She's just been painted where glue ran ... repairs ...

I used round pin hinges for the shortened bomb doors and moved the magnets of course. The round pin hinges actually go into the wing as well ... anchoring further.

Couple of cocktail sticks painted black for nose guns ...

Just have to check CoG now ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics

Tags
bomber , lancaster , multi , scale , warbirds