Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #5426
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

Thanks for posting the photos, Eric. The model looks great. It is not easy to build, with all the ribs and stringers. I have spent way too much time down inside the fuselage of a Stearman, sanding rust off the tubing and re-priming it with chromemoly primer. Since I was the youngest person available, I got to do the contortion job.

That is a nice looking Stearman you are posing with. It looks to have the 300 Lycoming engine in it. We restored a Stearman for someone else when I had the FBO here in McAlester that had the 300 in it. Great engine for a Stearman. Most of my Dad's Stearman's had the R985, 450hp, Pratt and Whitney engines in them.

Your photos bring back old memories. Thanks again for posting them.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 08-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #5427
stearman65

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Thanks for posting the photos, Eric. The model looks great. It is not easy to build, with all the ribs and stringers. I have spent way too much time down inside the fuselage of a Stearman, sanding rust off the tubing and re-priming it with chromemoly primer. Since I was the youngest person available, I got to do the contortion job.

That is a nice looking Stearman you are posing with. It looks to have the 300 Lycoming engine in it. We restored a Stearman for someone else when I had the FBO here in McAlester that had the 300 in it. Great engine for a Stearman. Most of my Dad's Stearman's had the R985, 450hp, Pratt and Whitney engines in them.

Your photos bring back old memories. Thanks again for posting them.
Hi Jim
The full sized Stearmann was based at Liverpool UK when I went to see it. I was offered a flight but the weather was freezing & I chickened out, always regretted it.
Done some more cogitating on my next model to start me off & I'm 99% convinced the Top Flite Stinson Reliant is the way to go. There is a kit at ready money over here & an almost completed one with servos on the UK Ebay which originally dragged me in. I would buy that one but it's covered in red Solartex which could cover a thousand sins!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-FLITE...53.m1438.l2649
Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #5428
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I was never fortunate enough to either fly or ride in a Gull Wing Stinson, but I really like them. The wings have a "structure" rather than just ribs and spars. That is a really big model and will require a fairly powerful electric motor to motivate it. They are out there, it is just choosing the best one to do the job.

Be sure and keep us posted on what you decide and then start a build thread so we can follow the build.

Thanks again, Eric.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 08-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #5429
stearman65

I was never fortunate enough to either fly or ride in a Gull Wing Stinson, but I really like them. The wings have a "structure" rather than just ribs and spars. That is a really big model and will require a fairly powerful electric motor to motivate it. They are out there, it is just choosing the best one to do the job.

Be sure and keep us posted on what you decide and then start a build thread so we can follow the build.

Thanks again, Eric.
Hi Again Jim
Re the motor, I already asked the question on the forum but as yet didn't get a response. There are quite a few on Youtube E powered but without details, but it will be quite while before I need to worry about it.
Regards Eric.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #5430
Whizzer
Grasshopper

Club: RFoV

Just signed in today (10/17/2018) and looking forward to this website. Flew solo 09/28/2018 and today was second time flying w/o a buddy box to keep me company. Brought everything home in one piece but what can be expected when still trying to grasp the concept of controls.
Was involved for more than twenty years restoring John Deere lawn tractors made pre-1980 while living in New Jersey and later North Carolina but the move to Florida and much smaller house meant getting out of one hobby and finding a new one. This is it. Enjoying the chaps I meet at the airfield and various forums with so much helpful information. Looking forward to the valuable information that will make me a better pilot.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #5431
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Hello Whizzer and welcome to Wattflyer.

Good job on the solo flying. It is always good when you bring them home all in one piece. Your brain will eventually learn to fly correctly when they are coming toward you, it just takes practice. A slow flyer is best to learn this on because things don't happen so fast when you move the stick the wrong way.

Remember to always learn at least three mistakes high. We like to keep them close to the ground but sometimes the ground gets there before you can correct the mistakes.

You will find that there are a lot of really nice, helpful folks in RC flying. They are willing to share parts and knowledge. They have all been where you are now and want to see you keep in the hobby.

By the way, can John Deere lawn tractors fly?

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #5432
stearman65

Default Electric Top Flite Stinson Reliant

Thanks again, Eric.
Hi Jim
I have started the build & the thread is on 3 other sites including RC Groups & 2 others. I thought it was gilding the lily to put it on here as well. Thanks for the interest.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ant-SR9-to-SR6
Old 10-18-2018, 01:02 AM   #5433
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome!

Old 10-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #5434
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Welcome to WF!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #5435
jeholliday

Friends: (1)

Will be watching this on other forum. Not too many people with the talent or patience to build now a days.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #5436
stearman65

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
Will be watching this on other forum. Not too many people with the talent or patience to build now a days.
I was in my late twenties when I bought the following Top Flite kits as they were introduced, The Mustang razor or bubble, Warhawk & the Aircobra all for 10cc engines, if my Stinson is a sample of today's quality, they sure need to improve. Thanks for your interest.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #5437
Stick Dude

Club: Ill try to become a member of a local rc club...

New here also. Working on an Electric stick, motor on order. Soggy weather is keeping a lot of Texans from enjoying the outdoors...
Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #5438
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Stick Dude View Post
New here also. Working on an Electric stick, motor on order. Soggy weather is keeping a lot of Texans from enjoying the outdoors...

Glad to have you, Stick Dude. Welcome to Wattflyer. We are getting the same stinking weather north of you in Oklahoma. Sometimes I feel like I am living in Seattle, where it rains a lot.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 10-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #5439
Stick Dude

Club: Ill try to become a member of a local rc club...

Yes, very strange weather? A little rain is ok, but I think the water table should be good by now.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
esc , power system