Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #1
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park
Friends: (0)
Default Mein Flyzone Dreidecker kaput ist! Donnerwetter!

Anne Marie just conked out on its 425th flight. I started to notice a fall off in power accompanied by a high pitched whine during parts of the last few flights.
Just curious have any others of you flown one this long? Clearly it's the motor and or gears, I have spares or can put in a Hobbico engine... I thought at first the prop might be loose but that's not iiii-it.

Plane went into service 12-17-13.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (105.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Tut mir leid!

Wow, that's a lot of flights on a single airframe. More than likely the motor bearings are shot. The high pitched whine was a clue. You may or may not have burned out the motor. See if you can put new bearings in it first.

Pat Gagnon
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

These tiny motors are generally not repairable.

Access for replacement can be problematic in some of the models I'm not sure about the DR1. The seam for access is.. remove the white cowl. The question is how well its glued in place.

There should be motors that will fit. Pull the gear from the bad motor and install on the new one and press the new motor into the plastic mount. (might get lucky and find a motor with the right gear already on it.)

Maybe one of the current micro motor/gear sets will fit from something else... or you can upgrade to a micro brushless power system. This was done by people on a few of the Parkzone micros.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Griff Murphey

I've had it apart once before. The problem is I put it back with quick setting epoxy but I tried to be very sparing with it. As you can see the old crate has some dings. I am a new RC flyer and tried to use Flyzone guts and engines in some stick and tissues so I collected some spares. I have a couple of extra motors and a good motor and brick I pulled out of a small Guillow 109 when I put in 7.4 v. I can get her apart ok, pretty confident of repair. Cracks me up the hobby shops have a wall full of engines for everything under the sun but no specs on the packages. I will probably just put a new Flyzone motor back in.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #5
Griff Murphey

I went ahead and used an SE5 motor and gearbox that were new unused. Since this was my second time into the fuselage and I had repaired it the first time with epoxy, there was a little more damage. But it's ok and it flies all right. The forward bearing in the gear box had worn out, and I may be able to rebuild it with a bearing from a scrapped out powerplant. The triplane has a bit different gearbox, seems to be geared for a higher speed but I can't tell a lot of difference in its performance.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
Griff Murphey

Default 500 flights!

Today I had the DR up in the morning before work and at noon when I came home for lunch. Flights 499 and 500.

I log in flights longer than 1 minute. Most would be at least 3-4 minutes, so the plane has at least 25 hours on it. Possibly another hundred or more shorter flights. It's a great plane, I've sure had a lot of fun with it as its so stable and easy to fly. I have one more in reserve slightly damaged, given to me by a friend, plus parts to build a complete new one.

This one is slightly dingy but with luck it may have a few more hundred...
Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.
Friends: (2)

Unbelieveable... LOL I don't bother counting flights, just years. I pranged one recently that was about 7 years old so I just put the tail/wing/canopy in a corner and the rest went in the bin.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Griff Murphey

My first micro RC as an old guy in his mid 60's trying to really learn to fly for the first time since a 2 channel Balsa 172 at Subic Bay in 1975 was a Flyzone Nieuport. When I burned up the brick by trying to start it with a jammed motor I tried to get the Flyzone rep to give me a new plane. He asked me how many flights I had on it and I guess I hit on the idea that I ought to log in those flights. I said "about 40..." And no, no new plane. Anyway I record all my flights on 3x5 cards. I have about a 3/4" thick stack of them now for the 3 SE5s I expended, and some stick and tissues. Currently I have one stick and tissue airworthy, one in flight test, the DR, Umx micro Stearman and micro B-17. I have other fly zones rat holed I like these little things. My tastes are very u sophisticated. It's just a thrill to fly.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Stick Dude

Club: Ill try to become a member of a local rc club...
Friends: (1)

Just bought this kit, 1 left around these parts, so I reckon ill take good care of her!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Griff Murphey

I have her going again, still flying. Needed a new prop and a fresh battery. I still have a new one put back and enough components to build one. It's really too bad Flyzone discontinued this lineup of scale WW-1s.i
Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Griff Murphey

Here are my three Ukrainian grandkids one of my daughters and her husband adopted. They are going bonkers chasing after my well worn 550 flight Flyzone DR-1. The eldest, my grandson Danny, was shouting “Iss Cherman plane!” and making machinegun noises and gestures!

Oh well the site says “invalid file” and will not upload the video which is very cute! Too bad!

Gosh I wish Flyzone had not dropped this WW-1 line what great flyers and so economical!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era