Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

FreeWing SU-34 Thrust Vectoring

Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 AM
shoes

well i finally got all the control surfaces working, took about an hr to get all the mixes dialed in.........for my dx 7 and ar7000 rec this is my setting....
1-thro
2-aile
3-elv
4-rudd with Y connector with nose wheel steering and Vector 3
5-gear
6-aux 1 (flap)- Vector 1
7-aux 2- Vector 2
the programming settings shown in the manual for the dx7 was used and set with 2 exceptions, under programmable mixing 1 the rates should be -100% not +100%, under programmable mixing 2 the rates should be +100% not -100%.......the mix-rudder d/r switch activates the up n down for the tv, the flap switch on 2 activates the mix with aile, the tv are on all the time with rudder n steering, i will proberly go to 50% expo on all controls to start out with........another problem encountered was adjusting the tv linkages, the plywood arms used are very weak i broke them trying to adjust the linkages on the rudder tv's, i made new one out of old long servo arm cut and used long ends screwed into orginial servo arm as the ones i had wouldn't fit the splines.....maybe HL should provide longer arms that are nylon........so the next step will be doin the syn of the esc's.........rechecking n rechecking, preflight checks then madien flight.......i am having fun with this
Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Extreme, The new 2W18's can handle 4S in 70's? I thought you had said they couldn't at one point in another thread unless it was just in the HET unit. I would think the Don's BI-3600's would be a good choice as well?

Jason
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Mitchdigger

Hi!
Question?
On a DXi6 TX I only have Aux1 which can be used for flaps or retracts. If I use a servo reverser for the retracts, would I be able to use Aux1 channel for TV with elevators. This way I would be able to turn TV off. I would be limited to elevators only, but that would be enough to satisfy me.
Thanks in advance for help
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

The 2W18 V2 runs on 4s in the Minifan no problem, the HET fan is too aggressive for it. We get 8-900 watts with 2600-3200 pack, gotta be careful not to push too far past this if you want to stay reliable.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 AM
shoes

well i have the su-34 ready for its maiden flight now just waiting on the weather to co-operate........the sync of the esc's went okay......i view the video from hobby lobby........both fans are operating okay so far.........
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 AM
shoes

mitchdigger iam sure u can if u use an y connector with vector 1 & vector 2
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Sorry I have been out of the loop for a while guys. Been moving so most everything has been on hold.

Mitch, Like shoes said you could use a Y harness to the aux channel or channel 6 I believe. That should get you what your after. Dont quote me though as I do not use a DX6i.

Shoes, How goes the SU?

Jason

P.S. Here a quick peek at part of what I have been up to during the move process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00078-20100125-1846.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	119235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00080-20100125-1847.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	119236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00082-20100125-1847.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	119237  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

A friend of mine got one of these not long ago and maidened it this past Sunday. Real nice flyer, looks great in the air, and oh those maneuvers!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
shoes

hey jason looks like your hobby room coming along nicely........still waiting for the weather to co-operate.........i have ran the fans to break-in the motors and to discharge the battery some.........i found i need to go thru the re sync of the escs everytime u turn the radio system off........oh by the way iam building and su-27 from ak models.......will be using an jett 91 on it.........iam on the covering stages now.......the pic u c under my name is the tails n stab by an eflite dr 7
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
shoes

well another weekend gone bad we are in sever snow storm very unsual here in VA where i live.......oh well, i did get the turnigy adjustable slow-down servo speed regulator (got 3), have one on the retracts u slow them down to an crawl, no more slamin up n down.......iam sure the servo n retacts will last an lot longer except for real hard landings lol.......neat small controller can be used for many applications ie flaps, canopy opening, gear doors etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Shoes, I have been meaning to order one for my SU just keep forgetting. Just did and order last week for my new F-15 too. One of these days lol. Weather here was sunny but high winds so no fly for me. Spent the morning working on the F-15. At least there is something to do when the weather is crap lol.

Jason
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
shoes

jason,

i c ur in the other forum, r/c groups cool, ya u will really like that turnigy controller, my next jet i may purchase (later on ) is the HL F-35 360.......i have the nitro models F -35 its the quickest elc. ducted fan to date.....its very quick especially in the rolls......i had to tone it down quite a bit for me lol.........i've been doin inside projects due to the crappy weather this weekend........
Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

I plan on getting my SU from my dad's tomorrow so she can hang next to my soon to be finished EFlite F-15. Hope to maiden the F-15 in the next 2 days and get some more flights in on the SU as well.

Jason
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 AM
shoes

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
I plan on getting my SU from my dad's tomorrow so she can hang next to my soon to be finished EFlite F-15. Hope to maiden the F-15 in the next 2 days and get some more flights in on the SU as well.

Jason
tomorow is suspose to be an great day....... getting flight equipment and su-34 ready for the maiden flight.......will update on the flight.......
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 AM
shoes

did the maidan flight on the su-34........all i can say it was awsome and i was very impressed with the performance.......i flew mostly at half throttle, feeling it out.......i did switch on the tv with elevator, oh my rotates on an dime lol.........the landing went very smooth....no ballooning occured, i have the tv's at about 3 degrees up.......only did the one flight today......next time out i will switch on the tv's with ailerons and go from there.........it was the 1st one flown at my clubs r/c field......got lots of questions about the jet.........club members were very impressed also......
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
bondmiamifly

Hello , i purchased the same plane, can you please help me explain how to instal vectors linkage into a spectrum receiver?
I was the instructions how to program the receive but he doesn't emplain how to connect linkage to receiver.

thank you
Marco
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
shoes

Originally Posted by bondmiamifly View Post
Hello , i purchased the same plane, can you please help me explain how to instal vectors linkage into a spectrum receiver?
I was the instructions how to program the receive but he doesn't emplain how to connect linkage to receiver.

thank you
Marco
if u go to the top of this page post item #26 u will see the set up i used with the spektrum 7 channel radio and ar7000 receiver......if u have more questions you are welcome to send me an e-mail.......
Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Shoes can hook you up on the spectrum end of setups. I can walk anyone through the Airtronics RDS8000. Part of the great things about this hobby and the net .

Jason
Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 AM
jetpilotrich

Default SU-34 w/RDS8000 setup

for FRESNOJAY:

Hey, I saw your post with your SU-34 that U used and RDS8000 radio. I also want to use my RDS8000 but am not sure how to set up the vectoring. Can you give me some info on how to set it up.... or if you know a place I can go to read how to ....I would really appreciate it!
I am actually holding off on buying the plane because I was not sure If the RDS8000 could handle the mixing. It sounds like yours worked out ok!
Thanks
Rich
Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Hans-Henrik Dalsgaard

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Well didn't find a thread on here for this beauty. So decided to start on it. I just got one for my B-day as she has now logged 4 flights so far. Mine is the stock PnP with no battery or RX. Also mine is the new Blue Camo scheme. The Hobby Lobby version of the PnP comes with a 3000Mah 20C 4S pack that IMHO is really pushing it. As a comparison I use a 5000Mah 30C 4S and fly for 4:30 WOT and Vectoring most of that time. With before mentioned throttle management I could probably get an easy 5:30. But honestly I am perfectly happy with a non-stop airshow style flight that lasts 4:30. Below are the specs of this great bird.

Specs direct from PW-RC:
Wingspan:900mm
Length:1450mm
Take off Weight:1.5kg
Included : 2 x 3500KV out runner bushless motor
Included : 2 x 45A ESC
Included :10 x 9g mini servos
Included: Rectract gear Thrus to weight 1500-1600g
Pre stick water slide decal

Required-:
8CH radio system(not included), 7CH normally no problem, CH6 are blank, as long as the radio system able to set program mixing for CH1 to AUX1; CH1 to AUX2 and CH2 to AUX1; CH2 AUX2, the setting can refer page 8 and 9, to see your radio can do this or not, manual are avaiable for download

Jason
Hello

Any suggestion/advice for 2 gyros to control aileron and elevator. Especially for maiden flight and windy conditions.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Hans-Henrik Dalsgaard

Default Su-34 mod

Hello

Any suggestion/advice for 2 gyros to control aileron and elevator. Especially for maiden flight and windy conditions.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Rich, I haven't forgot about you. I still have your number in the RCG PM you sent. Work has just been killin and without my phone I dont know I get posts on WF. I will start checking it more regularly. Again sorry I will hit you up this week. Did the setting I gave you on RCG get you started at least?

Hans, I am not sure about gyro's as I dont use them. I know many guys in the RCG thread for this plane have experimented with them. I personally dont try to fly the plane in any wind even though it does actually handle it quite well in stock form.

Jason
Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
jman199
John

Default Futaba 7C Thrust Vector Setup

Ok guys, here is my question. My radio is setup for my SU-34 as follows:

Ch1 - Ailerons
Ch2 - Elevator
Ch3 - Throttle (ESC)
Ch4 - Rudder (Nose Wheel)
Ch5 - Retractable Landing Gear
Ch6 - Thrust Vector connect with Miracle "Y"
Ch7 - Open

I have set up Ch-2 as Master with Ch-6 as slave with 100% movement from elevator going to 100% to the thrust vector. The problem is I'm only getting movement on up elevator and nothing on down elevator. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would really appreciate any assistance.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
AWINSHIP

Default Spectrum dx8 setup

Shoes I looked at your setup for dx7 I tried this on my dx8 but it does not work.
Do you or anyone have settings for dx8?
I set my jet up as single elevator,aileron and elevator,I put lv 1 in aux 1and lv 2 in aux2.
When try this way one nossle moves opposite to elevator. Really confused.
I have flown 2 times with normal setup,second landing a little hard,but every think seems ok except I broke off the trailing arm going to nose wheel.
Regards
Adrian