Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

couple nimh charging questions

Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM
cliffh

Default couple nimh charging questions

I've read that it is normal for nimh batteries to get warm just as they finish charging. Question: Does it matter to battery life or capacity available if you fly before the battery cools or doesn't it make any difference? I always allow them to cool prior to charging again.

I've also read that you shouldn't charge above 1C. I understand that and generally charge at less than 1/2C or much less if I don't need the battery right away. Question: Most of my batteries are just green shrink wrapped with capacity only. My ElectriFly 8-cell 1100mAh battery states on the label to "charge at 125 mA for 10-12 hours". Are their batteries different or do we as R/C users just tend to fast charge all our batteries. Does it make any difference?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

1. If you want maximum power from NiMH cells fly them straight from the charger i.e. while still warm.....but let them cool down after flying before charging again.

2. We tend to abuse our batteries, dragging too much current out and charging too fast. That's why our batteries don't last as long as the manufacturers sometimes claim they should. 1C is fairly safe for almost anything even if the writing on the shrinkwrap does say less. Many batteries are o.k. at greater than 1C but it's as well to know EXACTLY what cells are in there before you try that.

Steve