Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Lipo Charging Question...

Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Micro_R/c.co.za

Default Lipo Charging Question...

Should you always charger Lipo's with the balancing or can you charge them via the output cable? I seen a guy cahrge on the field this w/end and he was charging via the discharge line... He said you don't always have to us the balancer to charge, only every 4th or 5th charge you balance charge them. Is this correct? He was charging 5s 5000mAh Lipo's
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
jb48

I also wonder about the necessity of balance charging each and every time? Does balance charging grow more important with the number of cells and amp capacity?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jb48 View Post
I also wonder about the necessity of balance charging each and every time? Does balance charging grow more important with the number of cells and amp capacity?
Number of cells...YES. Capacity....NO. The more cells you have the more likely it is that one of them will be out of balance. 2S and 3S I balance only occasionally, anything higher than that I always balance charge.

The other important factor is not the capacity but how close you are running to the maximum current. E.g. if you have a 1000mAh 20C pack, max 20A and you are running at 18-20A it would be worth balancing it every charge. If you are running it at say 10-12A it's not nearly as important.

OTOH balance charging doesn't do any harm and generally only makes the charge take a little longer so the simplest answer is to use the balancer all the time.

Steve
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Ryan CSRC

Balancers are fairly new to the RC scene, a few years ago almost no one used balance chargers with their li-po's, so yes, the pack will survive being charged through the discharge leads. Using a balancer will make the pack last longer. As others mentioned, pushing the packs harder will make them go out of balance faster.

If you are curious to how far out of balance the pack will go with just a few charges, I recomend you get a tool such as the CellSpy available in the accessories page of our website so you can check each individual cell's voltage.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go-To Guys For Electric Power
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
BuzzardBait
Landing Gear?????????

I agree about the 2S and 3S batteries.... a 5S however.... i dunno, thats a lot of cells.

My Thunderpower 2S and 3S rarely even trigger the balancer after five cycles... So i don't worry about blance charging them, every five cycles, I hook the balancer up.

NOW THEN..... as slipstick pointed out... These are 13/15 C batteries in 1350/2100 mAh configurations.. and I'm flying them with motor/prop combos that only draw about 1/2-2/3 of the discharge capacity at full throttle. The one time I've actually NEEDED to balance the 3S pack was after I was dorkin around with propellars on one of my planes and just about cooked my speed controller and battery!!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 AM
RichardK2046

Default Lipo Charging Question...

I charge with my discharge line, it fully charges my 3S packs to 12.66V and I monitor the charge with an external balancer for safety precaution. Some of my friends use balance charging, they stops at around 12.5V when one of the cells reached 4.2V.
I found an article in blog.quantifly.com, which may give you a better idea.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Micro_R/c.co.za

Thanx alot guys this is a lot more info than I Bargained for...... :-) :-) I had a look
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Micro_R/c.co.za

Thanx alot guys this is a lot more info than I Bargained for...... :-) :-) I had a look at the Blog, Nice Info...
Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

I'd have to question the wisdom of a balancer that stops the charge when ONE cell reaches 4.2V, rather than ensuring ALL the cells are 4.2V. The cells are still out of balance.

My preference is to have a balancing charger. No fuss, no muss, no keeping track of how many flights its been since I last balanced...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
RichardK2046

Originally Posted by Matt Kirsch View Post
My preference is to have a balancing charger. No fuss, no muss, no keeping track of how many flights its been since I last balanced...
This is my dream too Matt but thatís life, I donít know why even the best balancing charger manufacturer couldnít do that, is it a technical issue or just to put safety first. I did find my way out; I use a charger and an external balancer and I never have to worry about balancing my cells, I even charging two 3S packs at once, may be Iím lucky with my balancer. I just use inexpensive packs, not TP, FP, and Kokam packs.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 AM
batman

There are a number of chargers that will balance as they charge and here is a link to a page full of them, the cheapest of which is only $24.95:-
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...6&ParentCat=85
BTW, I have one of the cheap ones and am very happy with it.