General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

New Venom Night Ranger 3D

Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 AM
wolfcbr2003

Thumbs up New Venom Night Ranger 3D

Has anyone tried the new NIGHTRANGER 3D. WE just got them at the hobby store and I purchased one. I have been flying Rc for 22 years but only Heli's for about 3 months. Started with the Balde cp and now have this Venom... Firstimpression is that it is very responsive in fact too much... Maybe its justme but I feel that it needs to have progressive rates or atleast a way to soften the control inputs... I was impressed on how smooth the tail rotor was for not being a belt system... Seems like plenty of power also.... there was no thread on this so I figured that I would start one.... another nice option was the ability to switch to a brushless system without having to buy a new 2 in 1 like on the blade.. Thecurrent 4 into 1 allows you to swith the throttle input from channel 3 to channel 4 while using the brushless system...

wolfcbr2003
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 AM
zappedalaskan

Hi Wolf,
Welcome to Wattflyer!
Glad to have you here. Thanks for the input on the Venom 3D heli. I have wondered how they are. Please keep us informed on it
Take care,
Jay
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by wolfcbr2003 View Post
Has anyone tried the new NIGHTRANGER 3D. WE just got them at the hobby store and I purchased one. I have been flying Rc for 22 years but only Heli's for about 3 months. Started with the Balde cp and now have this Venom... Firstimpression is that it is very responsive in fact too much... Maybe its justme but I feel that it needs to have progressive rates or atleast a way to soften the control inputs... I was impressed on how smooth the tail rotor was for not being a belt system... Seems like plenty of power also.... there was no thread on this so I figured that I would start one.... another nice option was the ability to switch to a brushless system without having to buy a new 2 in 1 like on the blade.. Thecurrent 4 into 1 allows you to swith the throttle input from channel 3 to channel 4 while using the brushless system...

wolfcbr2003
got a website?
l got no idea what that is.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:54 AM
wolfcbr2003

Default Website

www.venom-aircorps.com
Old 12-09-2005, 04:44 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by wolfcbr2003 View Post
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:30 PM
jakjr

What kind of drive system does the tail use?

In the picture it looks like it uses a seperate motor, but the description says it has an alloy tail boom so I would assume it was probably shaft driven (since you said it's not belt driven).
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

the video says 3d out of the box.....after viewing it (the video)...i guess 3d these days means half loops followed by rapid fall before a 180 degree spin and half roll.

perhaps with brushless and lipos....(?)
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 PM
zappedalaskan

Jak-
I think you can see where the wires run into the tail boom/shaft. I think it still has a tail motor. I looked at it for a while thinking the same thing. There is no tail pitch control either. The hummingbird pro3D has a driven tail. It has a cool looking canopy though.
Tim-
3D is The buzz word these days. It's what people want to see. Notice the raptor looking overhead flybar. It is priced decently though.
Jay
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by zappedalaskan View Post
Jak-
It's what people want to see.
but i dont see any?

i see a half kinda loop thingy..

Tim.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 AM
zappedalaskan

Tim,
What i meant is that 3D is what people want to see on the box. 3D capable is hard to really define, so the term is used loosely. I don't consider a loop and a roll to be "3D" but I see a lot of manufacturers
do I went back and watched that video of the EP8 and wanted to tell you that it was Harold himself flying the EP8. I am nowhere near as smooth as the old man. He holds three national championship titles here in the us. Two of them are for 3D flight, one is for 518- scale/pattern manuevers. By my definition that (video) is "3D"
Regards,
Jay
Old 12-10-2005, 06:04 AM
wolfcbr2003

Default tail boom

Yes guys it does have a tail motor but I must say that it is the smoothest tail motor on any of the 3 helicopters I have flown. Very responsive and there is no twitch from the tail at all.. right out of the box it was almost set up perfect... I talked to the R+D guys at Venom today and they just got done testing the brushless and speed control and they were just happy from ear to ear.... motor retail for 44 and I think the ESC was 49. They also told me that they recommend a 3000-4000KV BL. They also said they are using a 12t pinion. Also they recommend using a long motor versus a short motor due to an over heating issue with the short cans.

Hope that helps. Will keep you up to date with more flying stories...

Also that video I was told was with the Stock motor and stock battery..

WOLF
Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 AM
zappedalaskan

Hi Wolf,
Thank you for the motor and battery info. and clarification on the Venom 3D set up. That is a great price for that class of heli. Please keep us informed.
Regards,
Jay
Old 12-12-2005, 05:23 PM
wolfcbr2003

Default brushless

Just a quick update have yet to take it outside temp is about 20.. Good news is the brushless setup is arriving tomorrow and should have it installed that evening.. more updates soon...

wolf
Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 AM
wolfcbr2003

Default brushless

Well all

I got the brushless in today.. Installation was average... had to remove some metal on the frame due to the bearing on the can was large.. Not much trouble. The screws for the bl could be a tad bit longer though... nice setup justplug and play as long as you have their Y connector... No soldering required though.... Had to adjust the rudder control a bit to get rid of the twitching.. Flight time with the first 3 cell 1500mah was about 20 minutes of hovering and checking and resetting... ONce it was set up pretty stable with hands off staying in one position for about 3-4 seconds... Looking forward to getting outside... Seems like an abundance of power with the brushless..... Was as advertised about the plug in and then go.. Much better than what you would have to go through for setting up a brushless system on the the Blade CPfor instance..

More to come including pics...

Wolf
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 AM
zappedalaskan

Hi Wolf,
Please post some pics of the venom set up. How is parts availability?
How do you like it compared to the Blade cp? It does have some nice features that are aftermarket on other Micro helis. My experience with Venom race products has been real good. I have a speedmeter and a smart temp set up on a couple of monster trucks. they seem to have well thought out products. Please let me know and thank you for keeping us informed on it.
Regards,
Jay
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Ah Clem

I got one of these for Christmas. So far, it is very nice (about 5 hovering flights on it at the moment). About 6 minutes duration on the stock 9-cell Nimh battery. Lots of power on the stock set-up. Much more responsive in the hover than a Blade CP equipped with the Aerobatic Enhancement Kit. Tail is much firmer that Blade CP, Honeybee CP2, or Sabre. Head speed is much higher than either the BCP or CP2.

Great similarity with the Hornet except that a tailmotor is used instead of a geared drive.

Fit and finish is very, very good. Radio feels very solid, so far. This one flew correctly right out of the box.

Waiting for the flying field to re-open after the holidays so I can fly it around.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:58 AM
zappedalaskan

Hi Ah Clem,
Welcome to Wattflyer we are glad to have you here. Congrats on your new heli! It seems to me that the NR3D is gaining popularity. To me it seems to be a better heli out of the box than the others in it's class. I read your other post about a bit of tweaking before it was ready for the field, but heck anything requires a little adjustment and I'm sure the quality control will tighten up as they get some feedback. I wouldn't mind picking one up to play in my yard with next summer and inside the equipment shops at work (I can go through three batteries in my Trex during lunch ) I am looking for a micro heli a bit smaller. I have a blade CX, but I just hover it around the house. That was the only truly RTF heli I have ever had. Other than that my helis are all bigger Quick of Japan helis. My only concern with the NR3D is parts availability. My father-in-law lives right down the street from Venom racing in Hayden ID. he would be happy to pick one up and mail it to me, but I can't find parts on-line for them. I am glad to see more people getting them. Maybe Venom will start selling parts for it soon. I see the brushless set up is available and the lipo's will be out soon, but no spares yet. One question if you don't mind, is does the radio have an "Idle-up" Mode? I thank you kindly in advance for your input. And thank you for sharing your experience with your new helicopter! Happy hovering,
Jay
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
cvnhank

zappedalaskan,
The Venom 3D does have idle-up. I read it in the instruction sheet. Hank
Old 01-04-2006, 08:16 AM
[email protected]

I just, tonight, ordered one of these NR3D's after learning to hover on the Night Ranger II. I should have read Radds but was too busy crashing I can only hover tail in so far but have the NRII humming pretty nicely for what she is. Ummm well I am waiting on a new tail motor as I guess I burned the other up She has had a rough life... LOL

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Ah Clem

Jay,

I was able to buy parts in the local hobby shop so they are out there now! I have also ordered directly from Venom with good results.

As stated above, there it an idle up switch on the upper right face of the TX. I have not tried any aerobatics yet though.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:37 AM
Ah Clem

Wolf,

How is your flying going with the VNR3D. Jay has posted a "Sticky" thread on the Micro Forum to help us all communicate.

I have about 20 flights on mine and am really enjoying it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 AM
lagger

Default Servo issues

Has any one else had problems with the servos on the new Venom Nightranger 3D Micro I am on my second one. The first one out of the box would power up and then crank one of the servo arms all the way around. I took it back and replaced it with a new one. Second one has one flight on it and now has the same servo issue
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
willl33

HI guys I'm just starting on RC heli's after flying fixed wing for several years, I dont know if any body else has noticed but this "venom night ranger 3D is actually identical to the Walkera 22E, so paryts and upgrades are really easy to find on Ebay etc, Very steep learning curve, as someone has already said very quick acting controls, I'll be moving my servo pivot points in one notch when I put it back together again when the new metal headgear arrives (£20 ebay) mixing arm linkage balls are a real weak point.

Regards Wil..... North Wales. UK.