Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Venom Night Ranger 3D

Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
bjsbeaver

Default Tail Rotor Delay

Hi Dicko,

I too burnt out a stock venom motor, I think it is a right of passage before the next step to brushless . With tail rotor delay you could try adjusting the trim on the Tx. I know I had to make adjustments to various bits when I went from NiMh to Lipo. I figure the slight increase in voltage creates a change in response times for each component. Just a word of advice try and do everything you can to protect the exposed wires that run into and out of the tail boom. I found out the hard way by frying my 4in1 after a crash. The impact broke a solder joint on the tail joint which caused it to shortout. With the load capacity of lipo's it dosen't take much to fry electonics.

Anyway hope this helps Dicko

Cheers

BJ
Old 01-27-2007, 03:51 AM
dicko
dicko

when making ajustments to the gyro with the limit and delay pots, do i have to unplug the battery and then plug it back in to re initialise the gyro for the ajustments to work or can i do it with the battery plugged in ?
thanks
dicko
Old 01-27-2007, 05:08 AM
dicko
dicko

Also i am running the venom 800mah 3 cell lipo pack and using the venom balance charger and i am just wondering how much i should discharge the battery? should i stop flying when i notice the battery is losing power or should i keep flying until the heli wont take off anymore?
any help would be greatly apreciated
thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 05:13 AM
E-FLYERDUDE
Heli Freak

Originally Posted by bjsbeaver View Post
Hi Dicko,

I too burnt out a stock venom motor, I think it is a right of passage before the next step to brushless . With tail rotor delay you could try adjusting the trim on the Tx. I know I had to make adjustments to various bits when I went from NiMh to Lipo. I figure the slight increase in voltage creates a change in response times for each component. Just a word of advice try and do everything you can to protect the exposed wires that run into and out of the tail boom. I found out the hard way by frying my 4in1 after a crash. The impact broke a solder joint on the tail joint which caused it to shortout. With the load capacity of lipo's it dosen't take much to fry electonics.

Anyway hope this helps Dicko

Cheers

BJ

Hook up the GWS Direct Drive tail instead, super cheap and more effective than the brushless tail motor.

Just go to Towerhobbies and do a search for GWS Direct Drive, may take a while to find it, but you will eventually. Its called the CN12 or something like that. The tail for it is like half the size of the stocker tail, and the whole setup will probably cost ya like 15$ max.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:17 AM
E-FLYERDUDE
Heli Freak

Originally Posted by dicko View Post
Also i am running the venom 800mah 3 cell lipo pack and using the venom balance charger and i am just wondering how much i should discharge the battery? should i stop flying when i notice the battery is losing power or should i keep flying until the heli wont take off anymore?
any help would be greatly apreciated
thanks

As soon as you notice a loss of power, (after about 10 mins or so). Land immediately! Li-po's are extremely delicate, and dangerous. If you charge them wrong, or crash and not immediately power all the way down, it will blow up. Over discharging will ruin the battery and you wont be able to recharge it.

Alex
Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
John A

Thumbs up Dual motor tail

Hi,
I thought someone might like to see my new dual motor setup. I got it from Helihobby. It's CNC aluminum very light. All the NR3D parts fit just fine. All I had to do is remove the original mount from the boom adaptor. Then sand the tube of the adaptor to fit the 5mm hole in the mount. It only took a few seconds. I also added the tail fin from the 3DXL. I used a spare fin mount from the NR3D that I had, to mount it. The screw holes lined up fine. I also added the CF tail blade and heat sinks made by Eflite for the blade. It only took a little nose weight to get it to ballance correctly. I think it turned out nicely. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can fly again. I also heard from my LHS that the alloy parts should be in very soon. The shipment is on it's way is what he said. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005F.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	24265   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	24266   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24267  

Last edited by John A; 02-16-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: title correction
Old 02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
dicko
dicko

the twin tail motor setup looks very trick.. have u flown it yet? but what are the advantages of twin tail motors? do they last longer? i am on my 3rd tail motor and i have only flown it a couple of times with it and the tail is very steady..
Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
John A

Originally Posted by dicko View Post
the twin tail motor setup looks very trick.. have u flown it yet? but what are the advantages of twin tail motors? do they last longer? i am on my 3rd tail motor and i have only flown it a couple of times with it and the tail is very steady..
No, I have not had a chance to fly it yet. It hasn't been above 20 degrees here for over 2 weeks. They are saying this will not change for another week or so. I hate winter. Anyway, the twin motor mod will extend motor life by cutting the load in half and also is a fail safe if one of the motors quits in flight. If they don't work as hard they don't draw as much current. A lot of people are doing this and claim they haven't burned up any more motors. The only down fall that I can see is it draws 2x the current. But with these small motors that's not much. I was told if you are going to use a LIPO pack this mod should be done to save on motors. Because of the increased voltage the current is also increased.

John
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Ah Clem

The Venom Metal Head Parts:

Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Ah Clem

On the machine:

Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 PM
John A

Looks like Ah Clem beat me to the punch. I got the only Alloy head the LHS got in today. He no more than pulled the parts out of the box when I walked in. Talk about luck. I was kind of disappointed though, Venom decided to skimp on parts. They did not include new bearings or blade grip screws or the screws that hold the servo mounts to the frame. For the amount that was paid for these parts they should have been included. I mean what could that have cost them about 2 cents a bearing and .01 cent a screw. But over all the parts are very nice. The Alloy seesaw should pay for itself in no time. I'll try to post some pics when I have it all together. I'm hopping to get some free time this weekend for this project. I can't wait.

John
Old 02-18-2007, 03:10 AM
rockro

Lipos are the way to go.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:19 AM
bjsbeaver

Default Metal bits for Aus?

Yes I agree Lipo's are good.

Anyone know when the nice shiney metal bits will be available for the Aussie market? I have not seen any available at my LHS.

Nice twin motor tail set up too.

Regards

BJ
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
John A

Default Alloy Head

Well I got the Venom Alloy head finished up today. So I thought I would share some pictures and experiences. These parts are the first production run and had to be sent back for rework once already. The Venom pieces are nice but I did run into some problems. I had purchased the servo mounts so thatís were I started. They mounted to the frame with no problems and the servos fit with no issues. I did notice that it will only fit Venom size servos. I tried a HS55 and there is no way it would work. Next I turned my attention to the swash plate. The first thing I noticed was most of the balls were loose and had to be tightened. So I tightened the balls on all the parts and while I was at it I locktited them. I also noticed that the anti-rotation pin on the alloy swash plate fits very tight in the old plastic servo mount. So if you donít plan on getting the servo mounts. You will have to widen the slot to make it work. Next the blade grips. They went on with no issues. But when I went to put on the pitch links I found out they would not fit over the grips. So I had to remove the grips from the head block and slide the pitch links on first then mount the grips to the head block. The Seesaw was next. The only problem that I ran into here was a big problem. The fly bar wouldnít fit the hole in the seesaw. I tried 3 different fly bars and none of them fit. When looking at the fly bar you can see that the threads are larger than the shaft is. The hole in the seesaw is slightly larger than the shaft. So I had to re-drill the holes. I ended up at a final drill size of .069.
While I was at this head upgrade, I figured I would add a couple of parts that Venom left out. I was going to do 3 more but one set of parts didnít show up. The first Iíll mention is the Hornet CP CNC pivot support for the seesaw. It is from Helihobby, part number IP5898. It is almost identical to Venoms part except it is a little wider. I was afraid that this would limit the movement of the seesaw so I took off 10, 100ths of an inch from both sides to match the original part. It fits the main shaft and head block pins perfect. Next is the fly bar tray. It is for the Hornet CP from DUZI, part number MT4002. The important dimensions are identical to the original tray. I ran into the same problem with the hole size for the fly bar so I drilled out the hole to the same size as the seesaw. The last part that I didnít get is the Hornet CP CNC pitch links. If the other 2 parts are any indication these should be very nice and slap right on.
While I was at it I threw on a set of Venom Carbon fiber main blades and a set of carbon fiber fly bar paddles meant for the Trex. They are very close to the same size and a little thicker air foil. The Fly bar weights are from Efilte meant for the Blade
I slapped a battery in the heli and spun it up. The blade tracking was almost perfect. Half a turn to one link and sheís ready to fly. Now all I have to get is some weather above freezing.
All in all the Venom parts are nice, but they are on the upper end of the price scale for what you get.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007F.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24529   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24530   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	24531   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24532   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24533  

Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
jtspin

Thanks for the report.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM
dicko
dicko

after seeing John A twin tail motor setup it got me thinking, i wanted one! but living in aus it was to much of a hassle for me to order stuff from the states so i thought i would have a crack at making my own. what i did was cut out a bracket out of 1.2mm aluminium drilled some holes and thats it, so for the price of another tailmotor i now have twin tailmotor setup..
a picture tells a thousand words

still need to wire up the second motor and get another heatsink but let me know what you think.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Roachie
New Member Will Do

Well done dicko....the "Mothers of Invention" are alive and well and living in Tasmania
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
John A

When there is a will there is a way. Good job.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 AM
dicko
dicko

ok just finished flying my bird for the day, i flew about 4 packs all outside and its still in one piece. having alot of fun flying outside because all my flying has been inside and in the shed. I have been practicing flying up to about 6-10 meters then coming back down to 1 meter or so and also practicing fowards flight and a few turns the only problem is i can only fly tail in so i cant do as many turns and stuff as i like but i supose that will all come in time. had a few hairy moments tho because there was a little bit of wind but i managed to keep it under control. also the twin tailmotors seem to be working well keeping the tail pretty solid and also dose some fast pirrouetes.All in all a good day and i love flying my heli hopefully it will b nice and still tomorrow after work and i can get it out again.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 AM
bjsbeaver

Default Well done Dicko

Good to see some more Aussie's on this site. Mind you I really only check out the micro heli threads so there are probably others lirking around.

Well done on the flying Dicko and I like the tail setup, almost identicle to my home made one. 2 drives certainly adds piece of mind, I fried 2 motors b4 I made the upgrade.

I am waiting on some parts to arrive in the post before I can get back in the air so hope fully I will have some favourable reports soon.

Regards to all.

Beaver
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
dicko
dicko

well flew 3 more battery packs this afternoon with no dramas and i thought i might set some challenges for myself one of those being to land on a picnic table. So i flew over to the table and started hovering above it witch was not a problem but getting it down without sliding of the side of the table was the problem but i got it in the end and landed safely.

so i took off again and thought i would have another go, started hovering and decending and toched down but it was right on the edge of the table and it was about to fall off, i throttled up hard and the heli shot up and at the same time turning itself nose in (i cant fly nose in yet) but i managed to spin it around quickly and it went into a fast forward dive but i pulled back on the left stick and throttled up and got it all under control and finished my flight with no probs.

so thats all the exitment of my day

dicko
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 AM
dicko
dicko

just finished flying my heli and i just have a quick question. my pzt knob is set at the 10 oclock position and it flys great but i want to turn it up to say the 11-12 oclock to raise the head speed a bit (im thinking this might keep the main motor temp down) but when i turn it up the tail starts wagging. In the manual it says that if the tail is wagging the delay is set to high but i have the delay pot at full counter clockwise position how can i stop the tail wagging when i raise the headspeed?
any help would b great thanks

dicko
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
John A

Default Belt drive tail

Has anyone seen one of these anywhere on the web? I heard about these in another forum for the 22E. They are made by Sonix and distributed by Jappausa. I have looked at their web site and they just show it as a new item. I was told it's over 100 bucks, but what the heck I just paid 120 bucks for the Alloy head parts and got a lot less. I think a belted tail would be the way to go.

http://www.jappausa.com/Sonix_CK.php

Lets see:
$220 for the bird
$120 for the Alloys
$ 90 for the brushless setup
$ 30 for Duzi flybar tray
$ 20 for Alloy Seesaw pivot
$ 20 for the Dual tail motor mount
$500 Total (Holly sheep sh!t)

I was going to put separates in. Maybe it's time to re-think this whole NR3D thing. Should I keep going? Then is it a NR3D any more?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 AM
dicko
dicko

so i burnt out two tail motors at the same time yesterday. I think the tail prop got caught in some long grass for a second or so when i went to take off would this have blown both motors simultaneously? anyway i have been practicing my nose in hovering for the past couple of days and i am starting to get the hang of it its like learning to fly all over again haha
Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 PM
John A

Thumbs down Belt driven tail

Well after some more research into the Sonix belted tail, I found out that Helidirect is selling it as a HDX300. Depending on what you want to get it will run from $55 to $190. And from what I have heard it has major issues. Main shaft to soft bends on spin up, Tail shaft and gear problems, Poor head design, and other things. So I will not be getting one of these until they have their problems worked out, which may never happen. So for now I'm just going to invest in a separates setup.

John

Quick Reply: Venom Night Ranger 3D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11606 seconds with 19 queries