Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Venom Night Ranger 3D

Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM
jtspin

Originally Posted by dicko View Post
so i burnt out two tail motors at the same time yesterday. I think the tail prop got caught in some long grass for a second or so when i went to take off would this have blown both motors simultaneously? anyway i have been practicing my nose in hovering for the past couple of days and i am starting to get the hang of it its like learning to fly all over again haha
Are you sure you didn't blow your 4-in-1? Did you try new motors or did you try plugging the tail motors into the main motor connector?

-JT
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
dicko
dicko

yeh i tested the motors by connecting a battery to them and they still didnt work so i took the end off the motor can and one of the brushes in each motor was melted/broken or whatever so i bought a new one and its in the air again. i just thought it was strange that they went at the same time...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:21 AM
jtspin

That is strange. Glad you got it back in the air.

-JT
Old 04-13-2007, 02:21 PM
drzoidberg

Hi Guys,

I have just picked up one of the Venom NR3D helis after flying my coaxial heli for a while now and also flying quite a few hours practicing on a simulator. I have read through these posts and it seems that the NR3D has a huge following. I think that is awesome.

Anyways, my questions are... Is this heli meant to be super responsive or what?? I have started off with some basics first and begun hovering. However so far I have not been all that successful. I have managed to get the bird a couple of inches off the ground and it begins to wander heaps. I have added trim here and there to compensate but the heli keeps drifting. I have checked the CG and that is fine. I have set it up mechanically so that the swash is level and the pitch is right. I guess I just want to know, could this be a result of the helis ground effect?

Also I realise that the NR3D is responsive but it almost seems too responsive. When I try to compensate for the drifting it seems to overcompensate.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
John A

Originally Posted by drzoidberg View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyways, my questions are... Is this heli meant to be super responsive or what?? I have started off with some basics first and begun hovering. However so far I have not been all that successful. I have managed to get the bird a couple of inches off the ground and it begins to wander heaps. I have added trim here and there to compensate but the heli keeps drifting. I have checked the CG and that is fine. I have set it up mechanically so that the swash is level and the pitch is right. I guess I just want to know, could this be a result of the helis ground effect?

Thanks
Yes, becouse of the higher head speeds it is much more responsive. To try and calm it down Venom is mounting the control links on the inner most hole on the servos. This helps a little. You have to be very light on stick inputs. What direction is it drifting. When looking from the tail is it drifting to the left? Are you maxxed out on your trim? If you are then take the control link off the swashplate, (the servo on the left looking from the tail) and lengthen it by a turn or 2 and try it again. also you have to get it up about 4 to 6 inches before you are out of the ground effect area. You should get your self a set of training gear also. These are not the same as coaxes.

John
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
nitrodude

Question

I just got a night ranger II in a trade and dont know anything about it. I have been trying to fly a flight sim at my lhs and im starting to be ablt to fly it.
I was looking at the flight sims there and all of them are way to much for me to be able to buy.
I also noticed that theres a plug on the back of my controller and some sort of a cable connector, can i use my remote for a flight sim???
Where can i buy the cable and software???
I will have mroe questions as my heli is done being repared (guy i got it from crashed it) but i think this is a good start. Any help will be greatly appriciated!

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 PM
John A

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I just got a night ranger II in a trade and dont know anything about it. I have been trying to fly a flight sim at my lhs and im starting to be ablt to fly it.
I was looking at the flight sims there and all of them are way to much for me to be able to buy.
I also noticed that theres a plug on the back of my controller and some sort of a cable connector, can i use my remote for a flight sim???
Where can i buy the cable and software???
I will have mroe questions as my heli is done being repared (guy i got it from crashed it) but i think this is a good start. Any help will be greatly appriciated!

Thanks
Hi,
Yes most flight sim are expensive. If you go to Ebay.com, toys and hobies, raido control and do a surch on flight simulator you will have many come back that are resonably priced. There is also software sims that will work with most of these like FMS which is a free down load. Here is one example from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESKY-RC-Flight-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Not a bad price for a Sim and it looks like it uses FMS also. So if you do a surch on yahoo you should be able to get more helis and planes for it. I used FMS to learn to fly helis on and it worked for me. I don't know if the connector on the back of the transmiter works on the NR2 or not. But I do know it dose not work on the NR3D. So I would go with the one from Ebay. Hope this helps.

John
Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
nitrodude

Originally Posted by John A View Post
Hi,
Yes most flight sim are expensive. If you go to Ebay.com, toys and hobies, raido control and do a surch on flight simulator you will have many come back that are resonably priced. There is also software sims that will work with most of these like FMS which is a free down load. Here is one example from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESKY-RC-Flight-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Not a bad price for a Sim and it looks like it uses FMS also. So if you do a surch on yahoo you should be able to get more helis and planes for it. I used FMS to learn to fly helis on and it worked for me. I don't know if the connector on the back of the transmiter works on the NR2 or not. But I do know it dose not work on the NR3D. So I would go with the one from Ebay. Hope this helps.

John
thanks for the reply, i wills tart searching ebay for one..
Bt before i do, is there JUST a cable that will connect my controller to my pc and work as a flight sim?
i figure that would be cheaper then buying the whole packagae and controller, although 30 shipped ofr that one is not bad....
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 AM
John A

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
thanks for the reply, i wills tart searching ebay for one..
Bt before i do, is there JUST a cable that will connect my controller to my pc and work as a flight sim?
i figure that would be cheaper then buying the whole packagae and controller, although 30 shipped ofr that one is not bad....
Well I know Venom dose not have one. You might be able to get one for a walkera #4 which is basicly the same thing. Like I said I do not know if the connector on the back of the Tx is even connected to anything. You might want to contact Venom support at http://www.venom-group.com/ or you could check out this group and talk to Chris he is a Venom rep. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476409
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 AM
thumbtime

Default power twitching

hi new on forum so hi to all. i only read these 17 pages so please dont SHOUT at me if im asking an old old questions but here goes i am now the loving(cheaplyasposs)owner ov a venom3d i love it. but i have a few questions , i was woudering if a tired tail moter could cause iratic radio ie all servos flickering full pitch and power just for a second or two all ov a suddun even with stick half way power to main moter glitching and just not doing as i ask or could my 4in1 be broken. my head speed is as low as i can go not asking any 3d stuff just nice and easy with the thrust i have played with the 8dip and two knobs think i under stand um 10 oclock with the right hand one and 10 with the left bearly on its alomost like a fixed pitch if i turn up the right and icrese head speed the lift off is so much it frightend me does any one have it at or after 1 oclock(just out ov intrest)
Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 AM
thumbtime

Default radio prob

hi again prob solved BLUETOOTH again 1st its my tv then its my bird wots a guy to do? but still does anyone fly with the right knob at 1 oclock or past???
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 AM
John A

Originally Posted by thumbtime View Post
hi again prob solved BLUETOOTH again 1st its my tv then its my bird wots a guy to do? but still does anyone fly with the right knob at 1 oclock or past???
Hi,
I take it your Bluetooth was causing the radio interference, glitching the servos. The only time I move the right hand knob is when in acro mode to the 12 o’clock position, it sets the blade pitch to 0 deg. at half stick on the throttle. If you have to set there in normal mode you pitch is not mechanically set up right.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
thumbtime

Default radio

so i thought seems i have an intermitent prob lots ov glitchin and power surges

john hi
If you have to set there in normal mode you pitch is not mechanically set up right.

were is there?? i have them both about 10 oclock the pitch is +3 or 4 deg and she flys like a fixed pitch and at 12 with the right hand knob it is about 0deg but the heads speed is so fast i cant trickle the pitch slow enoff for any control (never mind 1 or 2 oclock) just jumps up like a bunny wabbitabout a foot then comes back down hard almost like i got negertive pitch all links look nice and tight (no play)if i flick 3d switch (with moter unpluged)half stick it is slightly out -1 deg but trimmer might do that even i still cant get it to lift nice and easy i know this is a sharp heli but still i would expect a bit less harshness than this

so i burnt out two tail motors at the same time yesterday. I think the tail prop got caught in some long grass for a second or so when i went to take off would this have blown both motors simultaneously?

thanks dicko i caught grass a few times with my old one (minicopter v2) and have burnt out 10 moters i was gonna do twin with a homemade plate but seems as it just burnt out two i wont bother at least for 12 months when i might really need the power in the tail but not now it holds great im not askin for the power to spin round and round just gental from tail in to 3 oclock to 9 oclock i know you got to swim b4 you sink but i cant aford to run b4 i can walk

full batt so gonna go get some thumbtime if radio decides it gonna work bbl to cry and moan "she" (the wife)is not interested (the bird)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM
thumbtime

Default more trouble

new moter reqired just burnt it out with the twitching to full power and back as if i was hitting the stick up full and back again and again (stick was under half) i took the moter off the frame and let it swing then fired it up all smooth no twitching no power surges so i put moter back in and more twitching as if im getting interferance from main shaft turning ??

but now i need new moter but want to try brushless simply for matiance not for power do they really run for ever( till bearings wear out) no stress never burn out. im not happy with the life ov the stock moter only done 30 batts 15 ov um holding my breath holding skids couldnt put on floor from fear ov it going mad and smashing in to somthing
Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 PM
John A

Originally Posted by thumbtime View Post
so i thought seems i have an intermitent prob lots ov glitchin and power surges

john hi
If you have to set there in normal mode you pitch is not mechanically set up right.

were is there??
I thought you ment you had it at 1 o'clock. My mistake.

The glitching is caused by some kind of interferance. try moving the servo wires around and see if that makes a differnce. If you have crashed alot you could have damaged the RX. But check out the servo wires first. I have a spare RX that i'm not using I could let it go for a resonable cost if you need one. Or if it's not that old you may want to contact Venom for a replacement under waranty. The brushless set up is worth the time. You get more power, longer flight times, and like you stated they almost last forever.

John
Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 AM
thumbtime

Default 4-1

the crashes it has had i would really hope it not dammaged the 4-1 however ty always an optoin. ive been priceing up brushless gulp gonna cost me about £80 cant do that for weeks me. so new stock motor (wayhay i learned how to spell motor) tommorow i want then try again if not i will re route all wire and wd40 all plugs then i will pull 4-1 to peices and look for dry joints runn iron over all soldered parts hope there is nothing to small i cant use blow iron till sunday night thats more than 48 hours away but i will reroute 1st and new motor :<
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 PM
thumbtime

Default new motor

ok went to shop didnt have venom stock motor had brushless 3200?? but no speed controler (not that i had the cash) had a motor out ov my old heli minicopter v2 ,same can same cog it is mine now fited but still not right not enoff power like a low batt but does lift i thought i would look in 4-1 diode on main power ss14 looked a bit like been cooked so ripped it out put in a fat 1 amp diode out of a psu for pc there goes any chance ov a guarantee thought that it was not delivering power to motor cut hole in 4-1 to make it fit lol but same old no power flys about six inches from floor then loses head speed then falls slow i have done a few flights today spinning around even managed a few like more than 3 ff nose in not fast just nice and easy was great. so waitng on new stock motor or brushless if i can find cash but she flys eventhough no hight still good for practice which i need
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
thumbtime

Default all good

i was feed up with no lift started lookin for a motor bingo my crap little 2 channel heli which has never flown it has gone up but flying ??? any how has the same stock motor as my venom amazing venom charge £15 for a new motor the whole heli cost £20 in rhyl(wales) i am glad to say no glitching lots ov power just 3 sets ov blades(1 bought £15) 1 seesaw ball thing(£15) and a boom(£5) later (oh and a motor but i have put that in my fp) and ive found the prob so bit windie here today only done a few turns but happy
Old 09-03-2007, 11:59 PM
thumbtime

Default bizzy day

well burnt out speed for main motor in 4-1 and main motor again so pluged a servo in no4 on 4-1. cutup and old cordless drill i had. this will do till i can aford the real deal, venf 7749+7748

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX-9NVsgfBM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BupbVZH8DIM
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Roachie
New Member Will Do

Thumbtime.....good hear your being inventive......so was the 2nd vid flown with the drill upgrade?

Your also getting the drift with hovering as well.....good on ya

Roachie
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
thumbtime

Default head speed

hi Roachie yeah 2nd was with drill lol but head speed a bit fast for me and i cant slow it a bit just alot too slow. been it shop again today to complain how crap these night ranger 3d stock motors really are so unless i can slow it down no trying(flying) for me till least friday
hope i can just plug in the new brushless7748 and have a new speed controller 7749 with out replacing my 4-1 any one got one?? does the pink n white lead to old motor get used or does it plug in chan 4???
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 AM
jtspin

It just plugs into channel 4. The old motor lead is unused.

-JT
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
thumbtime

Default head speed

so with it pluged in n4 can u ajust the head speed with the right hand knob on the trani? and wot do the other dip switches do i know venom .com have a postion picture but its crap dont explain nothing how do mix tail i have to hold the stick to the right all the time trimmer all the way over any clues?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
thumbtime

Default new motor

ok i got new motor ov which the screws were the worst fit in the world 2mm sent about 5mm ov thread not long enof to go through the ali never mind frame aswell seems like the thread in the motor is(was) 2.5mm ?? my lhs had none the right size so i butcherd some old bsf in the holes. and top ov motor has a shoulder thats too wide to fit in frame(ali) had to file some out. not happy with all ov this! top money for parts that dont fit. but its in.

couldnt get hold ov 7749 so i got a 28 amp tornado v2 (half the price) seems fine when i took the brake off,nearly took my blade holders and blades in one swift panic next. need to do slow start

but still no clue to trimming tail still need few more clicks to the right gonna try limt on gyro

new carbon fibre boom made from lhs stack ov diffrent tubes and rods. 5mm not fitted yet but cut shaped and ready ill get three from one lenth(£5) hope i dont need them

next want mad dog blades any one used um???seem good price???(£6.49)

walkera 22e parts fit??? can't see a seesaw 7715
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
jtspin

All the Walkera 22E parts will fit.

The knobs on the Tx don't really control headspeed. They control the pitch of the main blades, so they do affect headspeed. One controls the total range of pitch and the other controls when pitch starts to increase as you raise the throttle stick. It's a good idea to disconnect your motors and play with the knobs so you can get a feel for what they do.

There's two screws on the 4-in-1 that control the gyro/tail. The "Limit" screw is probably what you want to adjust if you have to hold constant rudder. Adjust it one way, see if it's better or worse, then try the other way. I think you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery when you make adjustments, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.
-JT

Quick Reply: Venom Night Ranger 3D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10842 seconds with 11 queries