Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Need help with my APC prop

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
mlamb01

Default Need help with my APC prop

I have a 11x3.8 slowflyer APC prop for my Eflite Cap 232 3D profile... I bought 2 of these props, took them out of the plastic, and tried to balance them. Could not get them perfect, after awhile I looked at the front of the prop and discovered that the hole was drilled slightly off center. I had not yet read the instructions at this point...

Last night I did finally read the instructions... Turns out there is a precision hole that is drilled into the back of the prop, and the hole in the front is not a precision surface. They give you a little plastic insert to stick in the back to match the diameter of the shaft you are using.

My problem is that the motor shaft is .249", and the rough non precision hole in the front is about .250". I can get the prop on the shaft, but I have to tap it on. But using that hole its not really centered.

I think I am going to have to put one of the spacers in the back, then use a 1/4" drill bit to drill a new hole drilling from the back to the front. I don't have a drill press. Is there a trick to use to getting the hole perfectly straight thru the prop?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Leo L

I would ream the front hole to make is somewhat larger than the shaft, letting the shaft have a "sloppy" fit in that hole. I would then use the proper sized insert in the back of the prop to hold the prop in the correct centered position.