Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Venom Night Ranger 2 0r 3D General ?s

Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 AM
[email protected]

Default Venom Night Ranger 2 0r 3D General ?s

I have a Venom Night Ranger II and can hover it tail in and land it back into a 1 foot square. Still very much a newbie! I was wondering if anyone has much experience or just general thoughts about these. I just ordered the Night Ranger 3D and still awaiting its arrival.

The night Ranger 2 is down waiting on a new tail motor from tower. I read somewhere that the NR2 is identical to several other helis but I cant find that info anymore. Any ideas? I'd like to get heat sinks for sure. The tail burned out pretty quickly but honestly I have been pretty hard on this bird. I have multiple crashes under my belt Which at this pace I may need a tighter belt as I am spending my grocery money LOL

About 3 years ago I learned to hop with my Raptor 30 replaced the Os32 and never knew how to set it back up and my coach moved so it has been and still is sitting and waiting for me to come back. I want to learn on the micros over the winter and will try the 30 again come spring. I didn't build this heli my coach did not by my choice but what do you say when a guy is trying to help.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Ah Clem

The VNR3D is very, very quick on the cyclic. I would make sure that I was very comfortable flying the NR2 before attempting the VNR3D and I would attach training gear to the VNR3D for the first few flights if you are in any way unsure of your abilities.

I have been flying the VNR3D for a little over a week now and I really like it, but it is much quicker that a EFlite Blade or even a Honeybee CP2 so take it slow.

The newer generation of tailmotors that are appearing on most machines seem to be vastly improved from the older ones.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 AM
[email protected]

I will take your pointer and put on some training gear. Have you read Radds school yet? I have it in my mind to run through each step until I struggle then practice practice practice. I did see this heli. A friend that I have been helping to learn to fly bought one...imagine that the blind leading the blind lol but the tail motor appeared quite a bit larger than the VNR2's. I didn't fly his but he did let me spool it up and get light on the skids I agree very very responsive. My fingers get itchy thinking about it. UPS tracking says My VNR3 is on time for tomorrow delivery! Can I get a WOOHOO! Yea Im 38 and acting like a kid in a candy store I cant help it LOL
Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Ah Clem

Zap,

You are a mere sprout! I am 49!

I have not read Radd's flight school (I learned to fly Helicopters in 1976) but I have heard very good things about it.

I am not sure that the VNR3D has a larger tail motor, but the magnets in it are very impressive. It holds the tail extremely well.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
[email protected]

WowThats impressive! that was pre-gyros wasn't it? What type of birds have you flown? Are you getting some good flights on the Vnr3? Any setup quirks your noticing yet?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Ah Clem

I learned to fly on an American Revolution (.40 size). Many of us did at the time. No gyro (Kavan's was the only one available at the time) and slippy flat belts. I still have the machine, and would probably fly it again if parts were pleniful.

No quirks so far on the VNR3D. The largest mod I have done is to install heat sinks on the main and tail motors and change to a 3-Cell, 1000 mah Lipo. I added two quarters to the inside of the canopy as far forward as possible. I also unwrapped the antenna from around the landing gear struts and ran them down a tube tie wrapped to the landing gear (a la TRex). Sometimes I get the machines high up and far away and I was not sure if the antenna wrapped around the gear would be the best set up (it was fine in the back yard and the park).

I adjusted the PLT (Pitch Limit Trim) to where I got lots of pulll without bogging the motor and the PZT (Pitch Limit Trim) to where I liked the RPM in the hover. The factory settings were pretty good, by the way.

Tracking was perfect out of the box.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Tom Moody

Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Zap,

You are a mere sprout! I am 49!
Geez, a bunch of kids. I'm 70 and just got a Blade CX.

Tom Moody
Old 01-07-2006, 02:49 AM
[email protected]

Tom
Does hovering it make you feel like a squeally school girl? LOL I get kind of giddy until i crash I think it is awesome your learning to fly helis do you have any other flying exp? Im starting to feel like a youngin in here My fleet all of which are inoperational at the moment LOL

Raptor 30 Nitro
Night ranger II
Night Ranger 3D

Jim
Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Tom Moody

Jim,

I have been flying electric planes for about 2 years now but just bought the heli a little before Christmas. Needed something I could fly indoors.

We do have a gym that I get to fly at 2 Saturday evenings a month but that is not enough so now I can fly the Blade in our apartment.

Tom Moody
Old 01-07-2006, 05:55 AM
[email protected]

Hmmm I'm wondering how I can find an indoor Gym is yours a public school or a club? That sounds very fun! Do you get a lot of people to show up?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Tom Moody

The gym we fly in is at a church school and we usually have about 30 flyers. We fly from 7 to 10 pm two Sat. a month Nov. thru March. It is a lot of fun.

I have 4 planes that I use for the indoor flying sessions. A DiddleBug, a Trainer IFO, A Hobby-Lobby Cob Web and a blue foam copy of a HorseFly Hobbies Mini Gee Bee. Our rules state that no plane over 12 oz may be flown.

Tom Moody
Old 01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
gorn

The NR2 is actually made by Walkera. I know this for a FACT as I have a Walkera DF4 and the parts I use for spares are venom NR2 and they are identical. I have heard though that the Venom electronics are not made by Walkera, but I dont know if this part is true. If you want cheap blades, try Ebay and look for Walkera Dragonfly #4, they are usually about $4 a set. Instead of using the stock tailmotors use the GWS direct drive motor and prop setup. These perform much better than stock and also last about 4 times longer for about the same cost.
Definately heat sink both main and tail motors. Some people swear by running new motors on an AA battery with the motor submerged in water. Time varies from who you ask. Some say 5 mins and one guy says up to 20, thing is it wont hurt it for longer. The idea is to bed the brushes in to the armature of the motor while not generating any heat at all. Bedding the brushes in properly first will make the motor last longer. Dont forget to use some WD40 to get some of the water out when your done, and oil the bearings on either end of the motor or it wont be happy lol.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Little Green Man

Is the Night Ranger 2 a good helicopter for a beginer? I am thinking about getting one for a trainer. What other helicopters would be suitable to learn some skills?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 AM
gorn

The NR2 is a good heli.......for the price.
The electronics in them are not up to the standard of say, a Century Hummingbird.
The mechanics are sound though.
If you do buy one, make sure you replace the stock servo's with some decent ones like the Hitec HS55. The stock ones are rubbish and crap out rather quickly.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
[email protected]

I believe the NR2 is a great heli to learn on. I had probs with crashing the landing gear as I really dont like training gear. I dont recommend my learning style though as it cost me $ in parts. I still get this heli out to practice new things as it can take a pretty good beating and fly. If I had enough money I personally would buy a coaxial heli to learn on like the blade CX, then move up to an NR2 fixed pitch heli then onto something collective pitch like the Night Ranger 3D. Any other route and you will have spent enough on parts to have bought another heli anyway. You must try out Radds school of flight too if you want to save yourself some money as well. Good luck and be careful these little creatures are addicting! LOL
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Little Green Man

Thanks for the advice. There are 2 coaxial helis at my local hobby store, the alpine rescue and the outback rescue as well as the NR2. The alpine rescue is very cheap, at Aussie $150.

I know what you mean...
I've been itching to get my NR3D fixed (i made a training set, i might give it one more shot) and I love the look of the Trex...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Ah Clem

I have not flown the Alpine Rescue, but the Outback Rescue flies great! Much more lively than the BCX.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Adrian

got mine for xmas, the poor xmas tree got a fair old whacking!! Have had a few probs with mine due to crashes & parts coming adrift (prob caused by the former) If u just got yours can fore warn u of potetial probs u will come across. eg batt, blade pitch set up & parts which REALLY should be thread locked/superglued. Mine came with a li-po & have timed flights of between 8-10 mins on average, just depends on how much u zip about the room. the main weakness seems to be the tail which v. fragile, tryed flyin without its but main job seems to be as vibration dampner. getting a fixed rotor this month, and hope to move to larger cp helis by the summer :p
Old 12-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Chad
Jaguar ate my Stryker!!!!

I got my VNR2 for christmas (thanks dad) and I haven't been flying much because there were times when I just didn't have enought time to go and buy spare parts. I haven't been flying for nearly a month now because when I was testing my heli on my lap, one of the flybar paddles shot off and I didn't hear it hit anything . whenever I crash and the flybar breaks, I just cut off the broken bit and keep on using it, it may be shorter but I haven't felt any difference. I'm quite good at flying my heli, although I can't fly it when it is facing me or when I am to the side of it.

Everyone should learn from the older more experienced heli pilots.... I'm only 12